Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 18, 2008, 05:03 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Mine is done.....love it...

Power from 3s 1800's-2100's and the eFlite 450 outrunner and GWS 10x8 HD. Very happy with it!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2008, 11:14 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
264 Posts
Ailerons, rudder and elevator throw recommendations

Hi

Iím nearing the end of my Taylorcraft assembly (3 to 4 hours, right, more like 30 to 40 hours for me) and Iíve got a question in regards to the just how the throw amounts are specified in the manual. The ailerons are listed at Ĺ inch up/down. Does that mean ľ of an inch up, ľ inch down making a total of Ĺ inch total movement or does it mean Ĺ inch up and Ĺ down with a total moment of 1 inch. This is probably obvious to everyone else, but I donít want to guess wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Connell
Jim Connell is offline Find More Posts by Jim Connell
Old May 18, 2008, 11:28 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
483 Posts
That would be a total movement of one inch (1/2" up, 1/2" down)
phoneguy is online now Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old May 19, 2008, 12:09 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy
That would be a total movement of one inch (1/2" up, 1/2" down)

That is exactly the information I needed.

Thank you.

Jim
Jim Connell is offline Find More Posts by Jim Connell
Old May 19, 2008, 07:55 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,826 Posts
Jim,
I would recommend using the suggested control throws as your High Rates and set Low Rates at around 70% of that. With the CG at the recommended location the T-Craft is quite lively in the air.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old May 19, 2008, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronicabill
I agree Gary. I almost ALWAYS buy from my LHS! However, this time I didn't because he was out of stock on the T-craft and has been for months, with no more due until late June or early July. I've been on the waiting list since right after Christmas and gave up 3 weeks ago when I found out Hobby Zone in Minnesota was receiving a few shipments. I'm not sure where they got them from when nobody else seems to be getting any, but they had just received 24 of them to fulfill all of their backorders 2 days before I called, and they were expecting 18 more that very afternoon, so I told them to ship me one when it came in (it arrived at my office 3 days later) and I cancelled my order with the LHS. I hated to do that, but then again I went back and spent another $200 with them on all the rest of the stuff to get the airplane in the air, so they didn't totally lose out!

Like you, I get a frequent customer discount on all purchases, they match and very often beat mail-order prices, they special order when needed, and they're always available to help if there is ever a problem with the purchase! I do my best to keep them in business with frequent trips.
Hobby zone is local for me I live in MN and shop there its not like I'm sending money overseas ( But E- Flight does thats where they build them)
moogly is offline Find More Posts by moogly
Old May 19, 2008, 07:30 PM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
Jim,
I would recommend using the suggested control throws as your High Rates and set Low Rates at around 70% of that. With the CG at the recommended location the T-Craft is quite lively in the air.
Gary
no kidding at high rates I had a heck of a time getting used to it 3 crashes and now with a DX6i and low rates its great
moogly is offline Find More Posts by moogly
Old May 20, 2008, 04:13 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Jan 2003
329 Posts
mine barely seems to have any dihedral at all, maybe a degree or two.
also my park480 screws seem to large for the holes ...
unsped is offline Find More Posts by unsped
Last edited by unsped; May 20, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old May 22, 2008, 05:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,152 Posts
i used the screws that came with the kit and they don't fit properly.
goldeneye007 is offline Find More Posts by goldeneye007
Old May 24, 2008, 02:27 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,545 Posts
The weather, my work schedule. and the stars and moons aligned to let me fly my T-Craft for the first time...

It flies great, I just put three flights on it and in only needed a couple of clicks of right and a couple clicks of down. The throws in the instructions where spot on. A real delight to fly. It looks great in the air.

I have a Scorpion 3008-32 with a 11x5.5 APC. Most flying done at about half throttle. After eight minutes the pack (3S2100) and motor were barley warm.

Here are a couple of pix. I modified the cowl so it is held on with magnets.

One thing I did notice after the three flights is that the wire joiner for the elevator seems pretty mushy with quite a bit of movement. You really noticed this with the tracking in loops. I ended up cutting the hinges and removing the elevators and replacing the wire joiner with a thicker piece. The old wire joiner was not glued in so it made the job pretty easy. It took about an hour.

Dennis
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old May 25, 2008, 12:11 PM
Bob Olson
Granger, Indiana
Joined Nov 2006
231 Posts
Arf Bashing

I am also a firm believer in Arf mod's. Noticed in Fly R/C article featuring the taylorcraft, no cowl screws were visible. Can you elaborate on how you accomplished using magnets for cowl? Have good quantity of magnets but this cowl seems to have a mind of it's own - would appreciate any input you could give. Have already rebuilt the landing gear mounting area in the fuse because it is obvious that is a weak point. Will also acknowledge that elevator joiner wire will have to be replaced. Have had the same problem on 3 other E-flight planes with the gear mountng area and elevator joiner wires. Hinge job on mine is very poor - Ailerons are so tight that in order to get reccomended throw, the end of the aileron distorts and the covering wrinkles because it doees'nt have enough clearance. The gap is TOO SMALL between aileron and wing. Plywood wing joiner was very sloppy fit - Tossed that one in the trash & made a decent replacement. Have replaced the wheels and axels also, to accomodate 2 1/4" size wheels (Dave brown lightweigt foam wheels seem to work great!). from experience with other e-flite etc aircraft, I can do touch and go's off our grass field with the stock wheel pants. I'm not trying to criticise the taylorcraft, it"s just that in order to have a really great flying airplane that holds up well, I always make lots of mods that save me a lot of grief later and reward me with an aircraft that will be reliable and predictable for a thousand flights. I am sure that when my taylorcraft is finished it will be as flyable and durable as my others.
homer49 is offline Find More Posts by homer49
Last edited by homer49; May 25, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 25, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hold my Beer and watch this!
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
Maiden Report

Hi All, I maidened my Taylorcraft today. I am used to confortably flying my other planes, including the Mini-Pulse that I took the gear out to put in this one, at half throttle. This Taylorcraft needed 3/4 or more to get around the field. If you are on the fence on power system I would try the 480 instaed of the 450 I used. It rolls surprisingly well. Did not try a loop. I got three good flights in and had her trimed out well. The plane balanced perfect with my 2100mah battery. On the fourth flight I had a bit of wind gust on landing, not a hard landing by any means, and the gear ripped right off. My Mini-Pulse was tender in this area also. I will fix her after I get some matching covering.

New fuse maidened and it flys like a dream. The 450 is fine, must have been Pilot Error
silent_guru is offline Find More Posts by silent_guru
Last edited by silent_guru; Jun 03, 2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:19 PM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
I've had several fairly rough landings in strong winds, and my LG is just fine. I bent the right side just very slightly one time on a bounce, and I bent it right back by hand later without a problem either.

If it requires 3/4 throttle for the airplane just to get around the field then something is bad wrong! Mine flies beautifully at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, and climbs at an easy 30 degrees or better at full throttle. Actually, the ONLY time I ever use full throttle is on climb-out after a take-off as it just isn't required... and yes, I'm running the smaller 450 motor. Now if you're not using the recommended E-Flite 10x8E prop then I can see you possibly having a problem! My first flights were on a 9x7E prop (don't remember the brand, but think it was a Master Airscrew) as I'd read several posts saying the 10x8 was too much, and the airplane was a real dog. It DID require 3/4 or better throttle to fly with that prop, but after swapping it out for the recommended 10x8E it was like a whole new airplane with a WHOLE lot more power!

What I'm saying is, don't give up on it just yet as it really IS a beautiful flying little airplane!!!
bronicabill is offline Find More Posts by bronicabill
Old May 26, 2008, 07:01 AM
Berne, NY
Joined Sep 2004
594 Posts
I have to agree with bronicabill. 3/4 throttle and mine zips off. I am using a 450 as well, it should be plenty for this plane. I started with a 10x8E prop, and have now settled on a 10x7E APC prop. Plenty of power. Slow trips around the pattern at less tahn 1/2 throttle. The 10x7 gives me a little more flight time, and is less stress on the ESC, battery, and motor.

Which prop are you using? Also which battery. I am using a TP 3S 2100 Pro lite 20c. The motor and battery are barely warm when I land.

I'm not sure about the landing gear. I fly from a rough grass field, and the wheel pants have been an issue. I keep them on because I like the look, but I have not had a problem with the gear it self.

This plane is a keeper once it is setup and flying well.

Jim
schoonerj is offline Find More Posts by schoonerj
Old May 26, 2008, 07:21 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
I am very happy with the 450 and the GWS HD 10x8 prop. About 170w and just under 18amps.... That is with the TP 3s 2100's and PolyQuest 1800's.

Plenty IMHO for the T-Craft.....

In fact I need to go fly it right now!
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member