HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:51 AM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye007
get a wattmeter as soon as you can. i have been flying EP for over a year and i have only just got one. but it is the best investment i have made. i had a plane with a 20A ESC but i thought i needed a bigger ESC so i paid out for a 40A only to find out when i got a wattmeter my setup was only pulling 16A. so i could of saved some cash.
better yet get a logger I use an eagle tree and found out that most of my planes draw alot less in the air than sitting on the ground my T craft only pulls 7 amps avg. with a 10X6 prop and maybe 18-22 on take off theres some data eariler in this thread
moogly is offline Find More Posts by moogly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:52 PM
kthomas
USA, GA, Buford
Joined Aug 2004
93 Posts
Motor Mount Help

I banged up my Taylorcraft motor mount and am doing some repair. The sidewalls are in good shape. The front wall (to which the motor bolts) got crushed. I've made a new, simpler piece from ply that fits snuggly into the puzzle lock tabs on all sides. The hard part is finding the exact center for the motor so the prop shaft exits the cowl without touching. It is not in the exact center of the mount (up a little). Could someone post a close-up photo facing directly head on to the stock motor mount so I can make a good esimate of the center. If you have a flatbed scanner, set it on the glass (dark room) and scan it for the ultimate closeup.

Any help is appreciated.
kthomas is offline Find More Posts by kthomas
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:14 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
moogly,

What logger at you using or recommend?
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:44 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthomas
I banged up my Taylorcraft motor mount and am doing some repair. The sidewalls are in good shape. The front wall (to which the motor bolts) got crushed. I've made a new, simpler piece from ply that fits snuggly into the puzzle lock tabs on all sides. The hard part is finding the exact center for the motor so the prop shaft exits the cowl without touching. It is not in the exact center of the mount (up a little). Could someone post a close-up photo facing directly head on to the stock motor mount so I can make a good esimate of the center. If you have a flatbed scanner, set it on the glass (dark room) and scan it for the ultimate closeup.

Any help is appreciated.
It would almost be easier to just start from scratch.
Hold the fuse in a vertical position and set your motor on the mount approximately centered.
Put the cowl on and scoot the motor around until you have it centered and then carefully remove the cowl without moving the motor and then mark it's position for mounting screws.

It helps to have someone else hold the plane while you do this unless you have some way to clamp it while you work on the front.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:04 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
Is anyone else with a Taylorcraft coming to SEFF ??
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:30 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
I might put mine together by then
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:37 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy
Is anyone else with a Taylorcraft coming to SEFF ??
Better question is how many of them will be there? How about having the mass launch of Taylorcrafts at the same time!

Seriously, this is a really cool plane I do hope to see a bunch of them.
Palmettoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Palmettoflyer
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:05 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
i was thinking same thing .. would make a nice ad for Eflite to have several up flying all at once ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:10 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
But you better put some numbers or other colors on them.
Might be hard to keep track of whose is whose!!
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:25 PM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
moogly,

What logger at you using or recommend?
Eagletree has been really good to me lots of upgrades and the have the V3 out now with more memory. It works great theres a big difference between static and flight data.
I can show 20 + amps static and in the air its more like 7 - 8 Avg. with 20 on takeoff.
moogly is offline Find More Posts by moogly
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,154 Posts
can someone tell me the size of the servo holes so i know what sort of servo to look for. thanks Dave
goldeneye007 is online now Find More Posts by goldeneye007
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:45 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,904 Posts
Hitec HS65 servos are a drop in fit.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:50 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,019 Posts
So are these.
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=5456
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:12 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek
Did you see the customer reviews?
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:21 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogly
Eagletree has been really good to me lots of upgrades and the have the V3 out now with more memory. It works great theres a big difference between static and flight data.
I can show 20 + amps static and in the air its more like 7 - 8 Avg. with 20 on takeoff.
I was looking at those last night and looks pretty slick!! Are you using the optional "power panel"? Or straight to PC? approximately how much flight time can you get data for? (I guess that would also depend on what you are monitoring as well...AMPS, Heat, RPM, Speed.....) From what I have read, you can run it in the plane to collect data, then yank out and pull data later....or do you actually have to always have it connected to power in order to retrieve the data? (i.e. in the plane)

Looks much more versatile than the standard meters on the market, and not much more $$. Just gotta find someone who sells it up here, as the shipping and brokerage fees can sometimes hurt the pocket book

Sorry to get off track here guys....but if I ever get that TCraft up here at my LHS, suspect this would make a good fixture.
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings