HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:23 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Joined Feb 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
If you are using four servos and 3S lipo you should install a Park BEC or other switching type add-on BEC especially with Spektrum receivers. I learned the hard way and don't fly 3S and four servos without them anymore.
I have heard this before and I have 3 planes setup now with what is NOT reccommended, which is 4 servos on 1 ECS using a 3S with a spectrum reciever.
So far I have had NO problems---but I may just be tempting faite, but I rearley push the envelope.
My Talorcraft is one of them and so far she flies GREAT.
C-YA RL
InspectorGadget is offline Find More Posts by InspectorGadget
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:27 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,501 Posts
You guys using Spektrum could just add the capacitor that the sell for $6 and then you would be safe too
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:36 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
phyxer,
I have the 480 in my Taylorcraft. It may be overkill according to some but as I fly off a grass field the power is handy.
Gary
I fly off of a grass field too and I have the small wheels and spats installed. I'm using the Park 450 and 22 amp ESC that came in my MUS PnP. My T'craft has no problem getting off at less than full throttle and it climbs out steeply. I agree with the "some" who think that the 480 is overkill unless you want to hang it on the prop, as in 3D.

BTW, your 480 must be loafing on that 10x6 prop. I'm using a 10x7 Slo-Fly APC on my 450 and it barely gets warm.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:36 AM
Hold my Beer and watch this!
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
Can you tell us more about the capacitor? I fly a Mini-Pulse with a 450 and four servos, 25a e-flite ESC and Spektrum AR6000 and think I may have had the shutdown problem once. After some full throtle passes over the runway it stopped responding to input and nosed in.
silent_guru is offline Find More Posts by silent_guru
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:57 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,501 Posts
You can find it anywhere Spektrum stuff is sold. All it does is to be sure your voltage never drops below 3.7v's to cause a system re-boot and loss of control during that L-O-N-G 4 second lock out. It just plugs into an open reciever chanel and maintains even system voltage. Quite simple and brilliant actually
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:26 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
Charley38,
I experimented with some different props and settled on the 10x6. WOT the speed gets quite high and the vertical is almost unlimited using a TP Extreme 2200mah V2. I am careful to close the throttle on down lines to control the speed build up. My T-Craft will do huge loops at about 3/4 throttle both inside and outside. Just a fun plane to fly
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:30 AM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
For me personally, and I stress the "personally" part, the motor issue is DEAD! I purchased the Park 480 with FULL knowledge that the Park 450 was enough motor to adequately fly the Taylorcraft 450. I have learned (the hard way) that sometimes it is best to leave a little room for error when specking rc airplanes. I chose to go this route with this airplane. I have also learned that my transmitter has two levers on it that are used to control the speed and attitude of my rc airplanes. In my case (mode 1); the stick on the right when moved forward and aft controls the speed. I can consitantly identify that particular stick 9 out of 10 times without confusing it with any other control. I am also improving my ability to properly actuate it on a daily basis. I really didn't want to start a war over the proper engine for this airplane; I am more concerned with all of the rest of the specking of the airplane and I truly do appreciate and look forward to all of your inputs on the specking of the rest of my electronics. And yes, I realize that this post may be taken by some the wrong way, but just so you now, it was meant to make you chuckle more than make you mad! Thank you.

Troy
phyxer is offline Find More Posts by phyxer
Old Jan 03, 2008, 03:07 PM
Newbury Park, California
Joined Apr 2002
651 Posts
As Cook Neilson, then the editor of Cycle magazine, told me: "Minton, too much power is --- perfect." He was probably right as he won his class at the Daytona speedway that same year (1977).

More thrust than weight sure is nice when your'e four feet off the ground and in the middle of a stall!

Joe
Joe Minton is offline Find More Posts by Joe Minton
Old Jan 03, 2008, 03:12 PM
United States, OH, New Franklin
Joined May 2004
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_guru
Can you tell us more about the capacitor? I fly a Mini-Pulse with a 450 and four servos, 25a e-flite ESC and Spektrum AR6000 and think I may have had the shutdown problem once. After some full throtle passes over the runway it stopped responding to input and nosed in.
You can find your cap. here.

Jim
trashbug is offline Find More Posts by trashbug
Old Jan 03, 2008, 03:35 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Dang, that's interesting. I have my Spektrum DX 6 in 9 model planes and one sailboat with narry an issue, but this might be good insurance on a model that draws a lot of power for the servos. Thanks, I honestly never ever heard of doing this, but in makes sense, and is as simple as can be. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Jan 03, 2008, 03:46 PM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
I bet that would work great as an insurance policy on my ASSAN 2.4 GHz system receivers too! Thanks!
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:16 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
I can assure you a capacitor is no replacement for an ESC that is not capable of delivering the required amount of current. At best it will handle only short spikes. That part is really designed for RC Cars.
Gary
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:24 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,501 Posts
Gary you are 1000% correct, but that one time lock out for 4 seconds while it reboots after an instant at or under 3.7v's will be complete disaster for most planes. A cheap, yet effective insurance policy is all most will require.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:26 PM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
I can assure you a capacitor is no replacement for an ESC that is not capable of delivering the required amount of current. At best it will handle only short spikes. That part is really designed for RC Cars.
Gary
Oh I completely agree! I wasn't planning on substituting the capacitor for a seperate BEC, the capacitor would just be another layer of insurance for trying to extend my airplane's expiration date!
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:07 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
The best insurance is a good ESC and decent Lipos that will deliver the power under load. I use Thunder Power V2 Extreme 2200mah Lipos in mine and a Castle Thunderbird 36amp speed control. This combo works just fine in my T-Craft with 4 Hitec HS65 servos. A 6 minute flight with throttle management on the 480 requires about 850mah from the Lipos. I am breaking in the new Lipos so flight times are short. I intend to stretch them out after 6 cycles.
Gary