HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:47 PM
Registered User
Gerry B's Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
The weather was finally right for a maiden flight today. All went perfectly, flys very nice. I didn't need a lot of up elevator trim like other guys said they did. With the forward C of G the elevator is trimed up 1/8"

I was going to put my 2.25" Sullivan Skylites on but I didn't have a long enough bolt so I used the e-flite 2.25" for the maiden.
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:07 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Tom Smith's Avatar
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,070 Posts
Gerry, with grass that thick you are better off with the thin wheels you used anyway. Good choice.
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:27 AM
Registered User
USA, NY, Fishkill
Joined Sep 2002
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Gerry, with grass that thick you are better off with the thin wheels you used anyway. Good choice.
"Thin is better". I've heard that all my life! Are thinner tires really better on grass? How big a tire size would be best?

Bill
BillL is offline Find More Posts by BillL
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:43 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Tom Smith's Avatar
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,070 Posts
Less drag with a thinner tire. Foam tires add to the drag also. Firm, slippery rubber or vinyl tires work best but with a slight weight penality over the foam types.
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:54 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Wheel Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry B
The weather was finally right for a maiden flight today. All went perfectly, flys very nice. I didn't need a lot of up elevator trim like other guys said they did. With the forward C of G the elevator is trimed up 1/8"

I was going to put my 2.25" Sullivan Skylites on but I didn't have a long enough bolt so I used the e-flite 2.25" for the maiden.
Congrats on the successful maiden.

About 1/8" of up huh? That's a lot! Seriously, when I reported on my maiden flight I said a few clicks of up and a few of right and she was flying hands off. Next thing I knew people were going on about warped wings and wrong stab incidence! Oh well, it was something to keep the thread going.

With that deep grass I guess you need the larger wheels alright. I used the stock wheels and the pants. I feel like the pants provide a little flotation in the grass anyway. Not only that but the model looks much better to me with the spats installed!

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:14 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Less drag with a thinner tire. Foam tires add to the drag also. Firm, slippery rubber or vinyl tires work best but with a slight weight penality over the foam types.
But don't thinner tires tend to dig into the grass more? That's my observation, so far.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Last edited by Charley38; Jan 01, 2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Sp
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:26 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Tom Smith's Avatar
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,070 Posts
Yes, they cut through the grass rather than plow through it. Less drag. Just flew mine with the pants removed and the Reals installed and my take off's and landings were without incident. It does look nicer flying with the pants on, but servicibility is more important to me than looks. It was terrible trying to take off and land with them on there. We fly early in the morning and the grass is always wet from overnight dew and that wet grass tends to stick to everyting it touches. Probably would not be an issue later in the day, but we fly Mon, Wed, and Friday mornings. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:32 AM
Registered User
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
472 Posts
My elevator trim is up about the same. Otherwise it dives towards the ground if it put even with the fixed stabilizer. I guess it depends on which factory employee put which model together and their skill level...hmm, just like if you built it yourself!!

I tried flying Sunday afternoon off the hard crust left over from the rain/ freeze mix from the day before but the winds were gusty and it was cold. I flew my Mini-Ultra Stick but decided to call it quits after that. I had a Cessna Skyhawk reserved for 2 p.m. and left to do that. It was still blustery when I did my pre-flight but calmed down just before take off and remained that way. Beautiful afternoon for flying full size with high pressure and cold air. The engine performance was astounding and I had a great time. We had another snow storm today and two more coming this week!

Here is a link to some short in-flight clips from a while ago. The little girls expression towards the end of the take off video is great.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...61#post8829076

Back to the cellar for a new build.

Jay
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Last edited by Jaybird; Dec 31, 2007 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 04:59 PM
Registered User
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
34 Posts
UltraCote

I have an old MonoKote iron and wanted to know if it could be used on the UltraCote? I have some wrinkles on the underside of the wings and thought I might to smooth out the surface.
paul1201dog is offline Find More Posts by paul1201dog
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 05:10 PM
Registered User
N726AC's Avatar
Joined Apr 2004
76 Posts
Nope, sorry. You have to buy the latest UltraCoat iron.
Hahaha, your Monocoat iron will work just fine!
N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 05:37 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Gary Hoorn's Avatar
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
Be careful as the covering on the the T-Craft will not stand up to as much heat as monokote. Set the iron a bit lower.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 06:33 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Tom Smith's Avatar
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,070 Posts
Jay, I always liked flying in the winter. Air is smoother, power is optimal, and there is less trafic. Plus you can see farther because there is no haze. Damm, I miss all of that. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:11 PM
Registered User
N726AC's Avatar
Joined Apr 2004
76 Posts
Yeah, I miss it too ! Ain't Florida great?
N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:18 PM
Did you get it on video?
Flying-Monkey's Avatar
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,044 Posts
I am enjoying it.

"Cold" weather coming. The 70's we had today won't last...
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:21 PM
Alan
bgfireman's Avatar
USA, NC, Dudley
Joined Sep 2007
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
My elevator trim is up about the same. Otherwise it dives towards the ground if it put even with the fixed stabilizer. I guess it depends on which factory employee put which model together and their skill level...hmm, just like if you built it yourself!!

I tried flying Sunday afternoon off the hard crust left over from the rain/ freeze mix from the day before but the winds were gusty and it was cold. I flew my Mini-Ultra Stick but decided to call it quits after that. I had a Cessna Skyhawk reserved for 2 p.m. and left to do that. It was still blustery when I did my pre-flight but calmed down just before take off and remained that way. Beautiful afternoon for flying full size with high pressure and cold air. The engine performance was astounding and I had a great time. We had another snow storm today and two more coming this week!

Here is a link to some short in-flight clips from a while ago. The little girls expression towards the end of the take off video is great.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...61#post8829076

Back to the cellar for a new build.

Jay
Jay,

Can you come to NC and take my daughter for a ride on her birthday. It is in February. Nice video.
Thanks Alan
bgfireman is offline Find More Posts by bgfireman
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E flite Taylorcraft for 450 or 480 P-51C Scale ARF/RTF 23 May 23, 2009 06:11 AM
Discussion E-Flite park 450 outrunner, 980kV - suggested plane(s) or kits? dougaustin Power Systems 4 Jul 01, 2006 03:49 AM
Wanted E-Flite Park 450 Outrunner Twmaster Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Jun 17, 2006 12:41 PM
For Sale E-Flite Park 450 outrunner motor(3 days old) wilsonbueno Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Mar 01, 2006 11:10 PM
Question E-flite Park 450 vs Hacker A20-20L Jimmy Hoffa Power Systems 2 Dec 19, 2005 03:29 PM