HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:06 AM
United States, OH, New Franklin
Joined May 2004
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy
Im wondering what you guys think about a FRIO 9 .. 950 kv motor for the Taylor craft??
I note that Tower Hobby has discontinued them although the product line is still available elsewhere.

Anyway, from my experience the motor you mention might be a little undersized but it's a lot lighter. I think it will fly the plane very scale.

The motor I'm using is a little oversized and the vertical is OOS. The extra weight of the motor, 2150 battery and some extra vinyl lettering puts me a couple ounces overweight but it fly's true with straight ahead stalls and slow landings.

I'm using a HXT 35-36C 1100kv with great results. I decided on this motor because I plan on using floats during the summer and was afraid the 450 size motor might not be quite enough for good performance considering the extra weight and drag of floats.

Amp draw isn't too bad. I pull 27-28 amps static with an APC 12-6E. It will do a whole flight at 1/2 throttle. Having more power just gives me more flight options.

The bottom line is that this plane appears to be very flexible in it's power requirements. Get one, you'll love it!
trashbug is offline Find More Posts by trashbug
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:41 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Alan

I was a Civil Engineer, not an Electrical Engineer, so I don't know how to explain the difference between a single or dual conversion other than the fact that the signal coming into the receiver is filtered twice to reject any errnat spikes that would cause glitching or moving of other servos other than the one you are asking it to move. It's supposedly safer because of it's redundancy. That said, I have a few Berg receivers that are single conversion that I would put into any size aircraft, but for $30 go with the Vampower dual. It's inexpensive and bullet proof. If anyone else can explain it better, or more correctly, please do.
Secondly, if memory serves me these receivers are shift selectable so will work with any radio. Best to double check on that, but they appear to be a clone of the Bergs and they are shift selectable. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:51 AM
Alan
USA, NC, Dudley
Joined Sep 2007
213 Posts
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
I was a Civil Engineer, not an Electrical Engineer, so I don't know how to explain the difference between a single or dual conversion other than the fact that the signal coming into the receiver is filtered twice to reject any errnat spikes that would cause glitching or moving of other servos other than the one you are asking it to move. It's supposedly safer because of it's redundancy. That said, I have a few Berg receivers that are single conversion that I would put into any size aircraft, but for $30 go with the Vampower dual. It's inexpensive and bullet proof. If anyone else can explain it better, or more correctly, please do.
Secondly, if memory serves me these receivers are shift selectable so will work with any radio. Best to double check on that, but they appear to be a clone of the Bergs and they are shift selectable. Tom
Thanks for your help.
Alan
bgfireman is offline Find More Posts by bgfireman
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:59 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,020 Posts
It is "auto detect" shift selectable.
Here is the spec sheet.
http://www.vampowerpro.com/datasheets/RD620_1_Page.pdf
Don't forget to order a crystal.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:50 AM
USA, NY, Fishkill
Joined Sep 2002
537 Posts
I have a short video of my Taylorcraft's maiden flight on You Tube. I just don't know how to get it on here.

BillL
BillL is offline Find More Posts by BillL
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
Hi Bill,

You can load it here I think to get it on RCGroups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/airplanes-electric-videos-273/

Jay
Jaybird is online now Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:22 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
Bill

If it's on youtube just paste the link into your post. Click on the hyperlink icon then paste your link in the box.

I just did this recently in another thread...I thought it would be more complicated. The RCGroups video section is good if you want to post a larger size downloadable video. There is also a test section in RCGroups where you can try stuff. Let me know if you want more help with a PM.

Gerry
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Last edited by Gerry B; Dec 27, 2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
USA, NY, Fishkill
Joined Sep 2002
537 Posts
Maiden flight (2 min 16 sec)

Let's see if this works.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
It worked. That's a bumpy feild you have. You may want to think about taking off the wheel pants and putting 2.25 wheels on. That's what I did on my Taylorcraft and my Extra 260...work great.

I haven't been able to maiden mine because of weather, it's all ready to go though.
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Bill

Way to go man. I see all the snow has melted but the field is bumpy as all get out, as is usual for this time of year in NY. Tell Jack I said for him to get out there on the roller so you can fly without beating up your new model. As usual, Cathy did a good job of video taping the flight. What a girl.
Aint the T Craft a sweet flyer. I just put a CC36 in mine cause the CC25 was cutting out. I bought the 25 used and think the guy screwed it up before selling it. It has never worked correctly. Ya get what ya pay for. I will be flying mine again tomorrow. Good maiden flight Bill. Tom
Old Dec 28, 2007, 08:34 AM
USA, NY, Fishkill
Joined Sep 2002
537 Posts
Tom,

Cathy appreciates the kind words. It's funny, because I edited out the yelling we did at one another. She was using a little pocket camera. It didn't even have an eye piece to look through, just a screen on the back. You really can't see anything outside, in the sun. She kept yelling that she couldn't see anything. I was yelling back to just aim the darn camera in the direction of the plane. Zooming in was totally out of the question.

Bill
Old Dec 28, 2007, 08:37 AM
USA, NY, Fishkill
Joined Sep 2002
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Aint the T Craft a sweet flyer. I just put a CC36 in mine cause the CC25 was cutting out. I bought the 25 used and think the guy screwed it up before selling it. It has never worked correctly. Ya get what ya pay for. I will be flying mine again tomorrow. Good maiden flight Bill. Tom
Mine only pulls 18amps max., with the little 9x6 prop. I could go bigger, but I think it flies more "scale" this way.

Bill
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:21 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Yea Bill, with the Master Airscrew wood electric 10x8 mine pulled 18 amps also. And with the Watt Meter attached the voltage never went below 10.8, yet the Castle Creations 25 controller kept cutting out. With the new CC Thunderbird 36 the amps are still 18 with the same prop and battery and the voltage is the same also, but it doesn't cut off on me any more. I tried different settings on the CC 25 but nothing helped. I could send it back to CC and have them go over it for $25, but for $37 I can buy a brand new Thunderbird 36, so why bother.
Just flew the T Craft again today but with reduced throws and it flies much nicer now. It has big ailerons and mine were overpowering the thing. My elevator was too strong also. She is a real pussycat to fly now, but my wheel pants keep filling up with cut grass and stopping the wheels from turning. Looks like the pants have to come off. Tom
Old Dec 28, 2007, 02:53 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
I have the Eflite 480 1020kv, T-Bird 36amp ESC and TP Extreme V2 2200mah lipos. I am drawing more current than you guys and I am using a Master Airscrew 10x6 Black plastic prop. Performance is outstanding and most of the time I am on reduced throttle so it does not fly like a jet
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Dec 28, 2007, 04:29 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,980 Posts
I maidened my bashed, and recovered, standard wing Taylorcraft. It has an AXI 2217-16 on 3s 2070 TP, APC 10x5E,.. 18 amps, 180 watts in, 2 lbs, 1/2 oz, 90 watts/lb.... sweet. My control throws (elev.) were way too sensitive,... for me,... aileron wasn't too bad but I definately had to reduce elev. I looped it from level on a 3/4 used lipo pack. It flew great. It was cold and drizzly one flight was good enough for me. Can't wait for better weather. I also maidened my AT-6 Whoo-Hoo!
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....