HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2007, 09:56 PM
Joined Jan 2006
33 Posts
450 taylorcraft with onboard cam and landing

hi guys i have never posted on this thread i am always in rcuniverse but i notice thereis more talk here about the taylorcraft i wanted to share my video clips of my taylorcraft with an onboard cam and a clip of my landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMntgJt5Sc
icejay55 is offline Find More Posts by icejay55
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:05 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Nice video. You Tcraft float flyers need to look at this.
Taylorcraft take off (0 min 47 sec)

Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:35 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Crashed my taylorcraft today!

I was showing it to a friend, describing how great it is to fly. I was coming in for a landing, decided I was too high(it floats along at such a low speed!) throttled up for the go around, the P-factor kicked in(I don't think there is any correction in the motor mount like there is for my MUS) I picked the wrong way for rudder correction as it flew towards me. I never said I was an expert! Any how, it flew over my head, hit the wind sock and cartwheeled about 15 feet off the ground. Luckily, I had enough presence of mind to throttle back as the nose pointed towards the ground.

Damage: a cracked Longeron in the wing. Dislodged the motor mount, broke off the enitre empennage, and a couple rips in the monokote on the wing. Everyone came up and said sorry about the loss of your plane. The crash looked bad. But when I showed the damage they were surprised. Its one tough bird!

I will have it flying tomorrow. I've sliced into the wing put a few drops of CA on the longeron while I held it with tweezers. Patched the slice, and the other rips. Re-glued the motor mount and set the empannage back in place. Chastised myself for being a bad pilot, and now I'm ready for tomorrow.

What a great airplane!

Oh yeah, I broke a window I set it back in place, you can't tell but I ordered another one from E-Flite and will replace it when no one is looking...
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:56 PM
Joined Jan 2006
33 Posts
sorry to hear about your crash my friend crashed his almost the same way and he was able to fix it/ taylorcraft is a pretty tuff plane.
icejay55 is offline Find More Posts by icejay55
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:13 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
I was flying mine today and practicing landing on one wheel After touchdown I am able to hold it on one wheel for the entire length of the runway What a hoot! First the left wheel, then give it a little right ailreron and then the right wheel. All the time the rear wheel is still in the air. What an awesome fun flier
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Dec 23, 2007, 08:56 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL
Tom,

I wonder what the connection is with E-Flite and the guys that own N4417B.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...&cmndfind.y=11

Too bad about your old plane. I see my old Cherokee is still in one piece, (N1843J).

Bill
Thanks for that link. I found the name of the new owner to the Piper I used to take lessons from. The orignal owner/my old instructor past away earlier this year. I've been trying to contact the new owner for nearly a year now. The plane is now stored at a local airport. I've been wanting to take a flight down memory lane so to speak.
Thank you.

Sorry for the hijack, back to Taylor talk.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:19 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Another source for light is Lazertoyz. Granted you would have to strip the covering off to do it. If I knew how to recover my Taylorcraft, I might think about it, but since everything I wrap or cover looks like an outhouse, I think I won't do that. I can't even wrap a Christmas present that doesn't look like the dog dragged it for a quarter of a mile.

I got a set, they will custom make them to the length and what you want. I got the red/green nav lights, two strobes, one for the rudder and fuse, then two landing lights which I can turn off and on with my gear switch. I put mine on my Flutter-By and flew the other night out on the lake which was frozen over, yet today, I won't venture out. So windy and we had 4 days of warm weather and there was water on top of the ice, the ducks were funny landing on it.

They were not expensive and they will make them to length if you send them the measurements.

www.lazertoyz.com or Dan at 440-951-3513

There are other light makers.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
I gotta ask. Do the ducks bounce since it seems they are expecting deeper water. Sorry I am from Texas and don't know what would happen when the lakes freeze over.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:15 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Well the ducks came in with feet down, just like normal. As they flaired to land in the water, there was about one half to one inch of water, their feet hit the water, then the ice. They didn't tumble around like some of the Disney movies I used to see. They landed just like a float plane, but didn't settle into the water, since there was just a little water on the surface of the ice.

What I find quite interesting is watching waterfowl land on the water. They land just like the way full scale and model planes. Well I guess we land just like the waterfowl since they have been at it a lot longer. I am almost sure that the good airplane designers have watched lots of waterfowl land to be able to design an airframe that will behave much like our wild birds do.

All the water has now re-frozen since we got a drop of over 20 degrees in a couple of hours and are getting lots of wind and some snow. Been snowing here since 10 am this morning.

I had hoped to fly since it has warmed up a lot, much of our snow melted and we had rain, but the storm that has wrecked havoc across most of the nation is now upon us.

Were my Taylorcraft assembled, I wouldn't be able to fly at all. We have winds about 20-30 mph and there is no way I want to be outside with negative wind chill factors.

I will start putting servos in the fuse this week, then assemble the wing. I have to work inside since my workshop is in the hut and it is not heated. Having to work inside is always a challenge since I have a cat that wants to be apart of everything I build. Everything has to come out of the box, then go back in to protect it. something about covering she loves to bite into.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:01 PM
Plastic Buddha
Joined Oct 2005
2,612 Posts
aftica is offline Find More Posts by aftica
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aftica; Sep 23, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:51 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
498 Posts
Actually the Taylorcraft in "Add On #4" is pretty close with a "450 powered"
phoneguy is offline Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:37 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Went to my parents house for our Christmas eve celebrations and i was simply floored .. My mother and father went and bought me a Taylorcraft ..

This kit is freekin Awesome .. i cant wait to start on her ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Dec 25, 2007, 02:23 AM
Laguna Hills CA
Joined May 2006
251 Posts
Merry Christmas
earlybird2 is offline Find More Posts by earlybird2
Old Dec 25, 2007, 08:08 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
1,563 Posts
I got a gift card to the LHS! Now I've got enough for one as soon as they get one in!
Taylorman is offline Find More Posts by Taylorman
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:22 AM
USA, MI, Dearborn
Joined Aug 2001
60 Posts
Merry Christmas to all
albert is offline Find More Posts by albert