SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:46 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,029 Posts
Jay

And anyone else interested in the Taylorcraft logo. I took it off the front page of the web site below. Hope they don't mind. I cut and pasted it into Word and sized it accordingly. The background is white, but it looks pretty good. There is a guy in my club who has figured out how to print these on clear sticky back paper. I have to pick his brain, but the way I did it looks pretty good. Guys at the field thought it was part of the kit.

Fred, you da man. Great job, and a really nice paint scheme. You are to be congratulated. Wait till she flies. You'll love it. The full scale T Craft was a bear to land with that long semi symetrical wing. I never was able to three point it. I always wheel landed her. Flew out of Stormville Airport in NY. She would get into ground effect and float forever. Bet yours does the same.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...iner/tcidx.htm
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2007, 09:53 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
4. I took a syringe (# 31 guage) and poked it through the heart of the bubble, even right through the base covering (who cares!?). Just go wild! poke, poke poke,... poke as many holes as you want. Big bubbles?,... poke 2,3,4 holes in it,.... who cares?! This syringe is like the ones one would use for diabetes injections,.. really tiny! The smaller the better.
Fred
Since I bought and use this, I've never had air bubbles since.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ26&P=7
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:02 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Good point, since I bought this, I haven't had problems with bubbles either...

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PSO1130.jpg
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:17 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtenbacker
Since I bought and use this, I've never had air bubbles since.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ26&P=7
Interesting- I've never seen that. I use a 21st C. iron and have done multiple color overlays with little to no bubbles. No special technique- just don't get the covering overheated. Lots of patience. My problem is those schemes take a ton of time and then get crashed anyway!
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:19 PM View Post
Flying-Monkey
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:21 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,029 Posts
The woodpecker is for perforating balsa to release the coverings adhesive gasses. Never saw it used to overlay one color over another on an open framework. Got pictures? Would love to see it done cause I just picked up one of those contraptions.
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:24 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
ahhh, for some reason I thought it was to poke holes in the covering, like some people suggest to get rid of the bubbles.

it seemed self defeating,

hence the shotgun humor...
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:25 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
And anyone else interested in the Taylorcraft logo. I took it off the front page of the web site below. Hope they don't mind. I cut and pasted it into Word and sized it accordingly. The background is white, but it looks pretty good. There is a guy in my club who has figured out how to print these on clear sticky back paper. I have to pick his brain, but the way I did it looks pretty good. Guys at the field thought it was part of the kit.

Fred, you da man. Great job, and a really nice paint scheme. You are to be congratulated. Wait till she flies. You'll love it. The full scale T Craft was a bear to land with that long semi symetrical wing. I never was able to three point it. I always wheel landed her. Flew out of Stormville Airport in NY. She would get into ground effect and float forever. Bet yours does the same.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...iner/tcidx.htm
Tom- thanks for link on logo.

I picked up some paper at my LHS that I haven't tried, but I'm sure some folks have already used. Basically allows you to print your own decals. Maybe that's what your buddy used?

Great work both you and Fred- raising the bar!
cheers
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,261 Posts
Quote:
The woodpecker is for perforating balsa to release the coverings adhesive gasses. Never saw it used to overlay one color over another on an open framework. Got pictures? Would love to see it done cause I just picked up one of those contraptions.
I guy I used to fly with (he's gone now, R. I. P.) liked to do multi-colored film covering jobs. If he was going to overlay films on a solid (IE: planked or sheeted wing or fuse) structure he'd run the woodpecker over the bottom film's overlap area to prevent bubbles between the films. Said it worked.

I have a block of 1/2" thick balsa with straight pins stuck through it, points protruding about 1/4", that I used for the same purpose as the Woodpecker. Works OK and was made from scraps. That was when I built a lot and used Balsaright or Sig's Stix-it on the balsa to help adhere the cheaper films & fabrics. Those adhesives seal the wood, like dope does, so breather holes need to be punched in, to prevent bubbles.

CR
Charley38 is online now Find More Posts by Charley38
Last edited by Charley38; Dec 19, 2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Quote:
All these done with overlay over diff. colors and over open bay.
SIG Midstar 60 with 50 custom cut stars
Sig LT 25
MIDWEST Hots
ASTRO Viking
Use it on wood and also the area to which you will overlay.

Methinks Photohikedive protest too much.
He most probably done himself in rather someone else.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
I have a block of 1/2" thick balsa with straight pins stuck through it, points protruding about 1/4", that I use for the same purpose as the Woodpecker. Works OK and was made from scraps.
CR
You can remove all but one wheel or keep any up to the full number of wheels on it for the size of job you're doing. Also can go around curved (rounded) overlays.
What you are doing works also.
I place the overlay where I want it and trace the outline with a dry erase type pen. I then "Woodpecker" it inside the lines. When done, the dry erase pen ink wipes off with a moist paper towel. It has a waterbased ink.
Last edited by Holtenbacker; Dec 19, 2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:45 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtenbacker
You can remove all but one wheel or keep any up to the full number of wheels on it for the size of job you're doing. Also can go around curved (rounded) overlays.
What you are doing works also.
I place the overlay where I want it and trace the outline with a dry erase type pen. I then "Woodpecker" it inside the lines. When done, the dry erase pen ink wipes off with a moist paper towel. It has a waterbased ink.
That's nice work, Holt! I didn't know the WP came apart. I'm sure it's faster than my block. I've seen several ways to do the overlays. Are you putting the overlays on wet and squeegeeing them? That's how I did the decals on my Super Sportster.

BTW, I shined a flashlight through my Taylorcraft's wing to see how they did it. Looks like they covered it in cream and then put the red over it; except for the front corner of each LE tip, looks like no cream there, just red. There are tiny bubbles in the red overlay but you have to look sharp to see them.

CR
Charley38 is online now Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:34 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Thanx Gary. I'll give it a go.
The only wheel pants I use are on .60 size models where the wheels are large enough so the pant doesn't get caught in the grass.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Dec 20, 2007, 06:44 AM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
439 Posts
New thread time?

Maybe we need to start a new covering/kit bashing technique thread so people can find this information easier?

Just a thought.

Jay
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old Dec 20, 2007, 07:11 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Good idea. I would love to see a "custom taylorcraft" thread

maybe something more hip, like, Pimp My Taylorcraft...