HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:49 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,074 Posts
Those boys need to practice landings. Water can tear a plane apart as easily as a dirt. I still have two dedicated water planes here with me but all the ponds are full of weeds, dried up, or private around here. We have the Gulf but that is salt water and can ruin an entire electrical system in one fell swoop. Not for me. I have been to the Ocala field. My buddy races pylon up there. Nice club, and a real nice bunch of guys. Lets see one of these Taylorcrafts on a set of floats. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:33 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,041 Posts
What the ... ????!!

Did you guys think I'd never follow thru with my vision,... post #494?,... just another screwball on the net with wild ideas?,......

....... I'mmm Baack!

I'll take the next few posts to brag a bit. This project has turned out extremely nice!
Let me review just a bit. I'm a builder type person. But Arfs have expanded the amount of airplanes I can accumulate over a given time. But, I simply >have< to put my own ideas into them. Ideas where I believe the model could be improved, or would look better to my eyes. That's not to say the manufacturers are doing a bad job, I just have my own ideas on how my planes should be built. I welcome ARFs. Admittedly, however, I've taken this is model farther than any 'ARF bash' to date, but it was well worth it for me. After more 40 years of building, I have accumulated the skills to glue pieces of wood together to make an airplane. So, I let the ARF manufacturers do all the mundane work of gluing part A to part B, and I make changes I see fit and cover it the way >I< want it covered. It then has become >my< airplane and not a box stock ARF. Here's what I did ........
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:50 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Those boys need to practice landings.
LOL! Actually those pics look more like the end of a stall on T.O. after the pilot yanked it off the water prematurely.

I still have the GWS floats I used on my MUS. I wonder......

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:54 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
472 Posts
Tom,

It looks like you added the Taylorcraft emblem or something similar to the tail. Any details on tht?

Jay
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:15 PM
Joined May 2003
4,041 Posts
Cockpit,... I used a piece of 1/64 ply, stained it and pasted on a few pictures of instruments from J-tec. Good enough, not very scale but it gets the point across.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:27 PM
Joined May 2003
4,041 Posts
I'm basically done with the "bash" except for installing servos/linkages, and motor,... on order. I'll maiden before new years for sure,... I hope.

Getting to the point,.... here's the end result,.........
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:42 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Nice. How much time do you have invested on your bash?
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:46 PM
Joined May 2003
4,041 Posts
Save or remember this process

Save or remember this process. It is >the< one part of covering that always gave me a hard time, and others as well. I now know the secret,... or one way to do it, and do it perfectly.

Recently on this post I was marveling at the fact there were no bubbles >anywhere< in the trim covering. I don't know if this is how they do it but I have discovered the secret of double covering a complex trim pattern over a complex precovered surface (ie Ultracoat). This is going to make your day!

1. cut out trim pattern you want, and lay it into position, tack down "here and there". Certainly no news so far.
2. on Ultracoat I used 225 degree iron, bond it to the base covering using normal care to prevent trapping air and causing bubbles.
3. any bubbles that are present are no worry what-so-ever.
4. I took a syringe (# 31 guage) and poked it through the heart of the bubble, even right through the base covering (who cares!?). Just go wild! poke, poke poke,... poke as many holes as you want. Big bubbles?,... poke 2,3,4 holes in it,.... who cares?! This syringe is like the ones one would use for diabetes injections,.. really tiny! The smaller the better.
5. Next, hover a heat gun over the bubbles and watch them disappear,.... POOF! Gone! They suck right down. You can wipe with a finger to insure good bond if you want (but so far I don't see a need to). The needle is so tiny and produces a hole so small you have a nearly an impossible time seeing a mark left behind.

Previously, I used a new scalpel blade, pin, or razor blade thinking it was sharp enough to be nearly invisable,.... not so. And,... I would >carefully< just poke the top skin only. It would always leave a mark easily seen. This is >the< process I'd been searching for. I saw someone on RC Groups >briefly< mention a syringe needle about two weeks ago. It wasn't until a few days ago that I thought to try it. My first attemt to use it was on the trim stripe, 1" wide, along the leading edge of the wing. You know how hard that can be with the compound surfaces produced by the ribs. It was absolutely no, nada, zip, zero problem applying it. In fact I got careless to the point of >intentionally< causing bubbles just so I could watch them disappear. It's that fool proof. And spots where it looks like you've trapped a crease in the middle of the trim covering,... as long as they have not stuck to themselves, treat them as a bubble: poke'm-n-heat 'm. You can use an iron instead of a heat gun, but I enjoyed seeing them dissapear. With an iron that joy is mostly blocked.

I'm so excited at this discovery, I can hardly see straight. It has turned a dreaded task into a fun experience.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Dec 19, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:50 PM
Joined May 2003
4,041 Posts
I started bashing Dec 8th. Today is the 19th. This morning all I did was cover and install the wheels. I made new struts btw,.. spruce. I'm retired and worked on it maybe 4 hours an day.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:51 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,920 Posts
Stellar job, Fred!! What an improvement. You've managed to take out every niggly little thing I had against this ARF, such as the tail surface hingelines, rear side window, clipped wings, string-bean wheelpants (what th...), etc. Nice clean color scheme you got there, too. Very nice!

I have been meaning to do the Comet 54" Taylorcraft sometime, but not now! I wouldn't want to have to park it right next to your slick model, and endure the comparison!
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:54 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,967 Posts
Dave,
I fly off a grass field and currently have 4 planes with wheel pants. The Taylorcraft and my Decathlon retain the pants the same way, with a small screw. I put some contact cement on the screw and one dot on the pant where it touches the landing gear. Tighten down the screw. Will not come loose and yet can be removed if necessary with a bit of work.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:56 PM
Joined May 2003
4,041 Posts
Thanks >VBG< . .... and with the extra wing area it should glide forever
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:00 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
Thanks >VBG< . .... and with the extra wing area it should glide forever
I used to thermal my 54" Comet Aeronca Chief all the time. You'll be amazed at what you've got there, with some lift in the vicinity.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy