HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2007, 03:27 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,034 Posts
The aluminum grills were part of the Deluxe package, but could be bought separately and added to any model. They were great for keeping nesting birds out of there when you weren't flyin. Always a problem with light planes. Ask me how I know. The openings in the kit are off scale, but look decent. Can't have everything, unless you build it yourself I guess. Mine flies tomorrow. Can't wait. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2007, 03:37 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,938 Posts
re: grille shape: Remember that the model is based on a clipped-wing modified-for-aerobatics airplane which likely was also re-engined - hence the different cowl inlet openings - it's a different cowl.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Dec 18, 2007, 03:41 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,034 Posts
Good point. I keep thinking of this as a stock bird.
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Dec 18, 2007, 03:41 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
439 Posts
Good point. This is semi-scale model combining elements of several full size aircraft which may or may not have been combined on a real plane. The color scheme is based on a full size and even the "N" number, but that plane has full length wings and a standard (not balanced) tail group. True scale is a slippery slope!

Jay
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
Frankenmuth, MI
Joined Apr 2006
200 Posts
You guys need to read the entire thread. The E-flite Taylorcraft "is" modeled after one real airplane. See post #32 from John Redman of E-Flite.

Rick
61ahs is offline Find More Posts by 61ahs
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
439 Posts
Well, if you look closely at the picture of N4417B you'll see that it does NOT have balanced rudder or elevator surfaces and it does not appear to have clipped wings. They may have used the shape of one full size but they used this "N" number and paint scheme from another. At a scale contest it would fail the outline test...but who would bother to take it, other than to have a blast flying it around...I also don't think the full size plane would hover very well or blast off after 10 feet of ground roll!

I say let's have an area Taylorcraft meet and have a mass launch...20 or 30 identical planes all in the air at the same time....hmmm, well maybe not!

Jay
Last edited by Jaybird; Dec 18, 2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:29 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
439 Posts
Does anyone have a source for the tiny "Taylorcraft" emblem on the tail of N4417B?

Here is site with a closely shaped taylorcraft. Great gallery and movie.

http://www.pietschaircraft.com/airshows/

Jay

p.s. YOU GOTTA SEE THE MOVIE CLIP...AWESOME...RIGHT ON THE DECK ROLLS, INVERTED FLIGHT..EVERYTHING!
Last edited by Jaybird; Dec 18, 2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:56 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61ahs
You guys need to read the entire thread. The E-flite Taylorcraft "is" modeled after one real airplane. See post #32 from John Redman of E-Flite.

Rick
Nope- sorry Rick! Well- kinda, depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Structure comes from one lineage. Paint scheme from another.

see- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=10

The current T-Craft was modeled from a larger previous model. That model was based on an aerobatic version with some custom bits. The aesthetics then come from a different model as posted previously.

Quite an amalgam- and a great model!

cheers
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Last edited by wingbeat; Dec 18, 2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:15 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,895 Posts
Jaybird,
Thanks for the links. I watched the video. He does everything I was doing today with mine on the 2nd flight. I just wish I had some smoke! I cannot believe how well this Eflite Taylorcraft flies. It is very aerobatic and with the 480 has more than enough power. Lipos are charging and I am hoping for good weather tomorrow
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:24 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,262 Posts
Maiden

Finished my T' Craft over the weekend but had rotten weather until today.

Took her to the field about 10:30 AM. Wind pretty much down the runway from the South 8 mph, gusting to 12 - 15. Put her on the runway, held a little up and advanced the throttle slowly. A little right rudder when I let the tail come up to hold 'er straight and she was off at 3/4 throttle! Twice around the pattern to trim her out. A few clicks of right aileron & a few of up elevator and she flew hands-off. Yippee! Flew about 5 minutes with some loops and rolls, and checks for stall characteristics - nose just dropped, no tip stall. Decided to land with plenty of battery left since the wind was gusting harder. Whew, she's a floater, took me three approaches to get her on the ground in front of me - kept overshooting. Landed at below walking speed due to the headwind.

This little model is everything I expected; gentle flying at part throttle, good aerobatics, cuts the wind well and floats onto the ground. I'm using the Park 450, 22 amp ESC and 2000 mAH 3S1P LiPo battery, Eflite 9 gram servos and Hitec Electron 6 Rx. In short, the hardware out of my late, lamented, Mini Ultra Stick PnP. The 450 is plenty of power for scale flying with a 10x7 APC SF prop.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Last edited by Charley38; Dec 18, 2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 08:38 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,463 Posts
WOW, you guys are killing me with the flight reports. I was finally able to start my assembly today and it seems to be going easy. I can't wait to finish and get this thing in the air. Keep up the reports it is a great motivator.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:16 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
439 Posts
I find it interesting that almost everyone has had to add a little aileron trim (not too surprising) and also UP elevator trim. I had to a lot of up to keep level flight and on the ground it is noticeably in a slight up position. I did have to sand the stabilizer saddle to get it level with the wings so I don't know if it is partly my fault. I also find the connecting wire between the elevator halves to be rather springy and wonder if the airflow causes some deflection.

I still can't get over that full size video...great use of airspeed and altitude, not just brute power.

Jay
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:20 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51dplt
Hey Dora,
I was thinking about getting a T-Craft. What are your main problems with it? It looks like a neat little airplane, but if a bunch of guys think they are not worth it I will look elsewhere.

Regards,
Brant

Brant check you IM. Hopefully that'll answer some of your questions.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:56 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
456 Posts
Jay

You may want to glue your elevator connecting rod in. Mine was springy. It was not glued. I glued it in with 3 hour epoxy and rehinged the elevator. It's 110% now
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:14 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,262 Posts
Elevator joiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry B
Jay

You may want to glue your elevator connecting rod in. Mine was springy. It was not glued. I glued it in with 3 hour epoxy and rehinged the elevator. It's 110% now
There is some flex in mine between the halves. I figured the joiner wire was a little thin for the job. I'll have to take a look at it.

Thanks,

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38