HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:11 PM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
Tom, I have 5 eflite planes in my fleet right now. I've probably owned 8. Out of the 8 planes, 2 had straight wings and the Taylorcraft is not one of them.

If your struts don't align you may want to look for a wing being warped.
service_dude is offline Find More Posts by service_dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:23 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,059 Posts
Wings are straight. I just put a trusty old 2500 mah lipo in her and she balances just fine. I added a few 1/4" strips of plywood down the length of the battery tray on either side. Stiffened it up nicely. What was there was rather flimsy. Wish they didn't cut those big holes in the battery floor. There is barely any surface to put the velcro on. If the winds are light tomorrow morning I will maiden her. Sure is a pretty little thing. Gonna look nice under the tree. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:28 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,881 Posts
Tom

Check and see if the plastic sheet connectors on the struts have not come unglued. The balsa in the strut are simply sliced and the plastic (similar to a plastic hinge sheet) had slipped. Realigned and reglued to resolve problem. I thought at first that mine would require an extra hole be drilled but it only took a minute to resolve and things worked out perfectly from there. Everthing worked as advertised on mine.

ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:42 PM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
I added a few 1/4" strips of plywood down the length of the battery tray on either side. Stiffened it up nicely. What was there was rather flimsy. Wish they didn't cut those big holes in the battery floor.
I did the same, one thing I noticed is the grain of the ply of the battery tray is from side to side. Grain running in that direction just makes it weaker with the lighting holes.

The Funtana X is one of the best planes eflite has ever put out. It has a weak spot in the landing gear area from the lighting holes in the ply. Why they do this I have no clue.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:14 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,278 Posts
Quote:
My two struts assemblies were exactly the same size, but did not line up with the pre drilled holes in the wing and fuse. Damm. This thing went together so well and the last step turns out to be a mess. Tom
OK, I snipped a lot. BUT, they should do better! Advert an ARF, deliver an ARF.

That said, it has come together beautifully. Now, if the weather will cooperate....

Cr
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Wings are straight. I just put a trusty old 2500 mah lipo in her and she balances just fine. I added a few 1/4" strips of plywood down the length of the battery tray on either side. Stiffened it up nicely. What was there was rather flimsy. Wish they didn't cut those big holes in the battery floor. There is barely any surface to put the velcro on. If the winds are light tomorrow morning I will maiden her. Sure is a pretty little thing. Gonna look nice under the tree. Tom
I was under the impression that there should be some dihedral ? I believe there *might* be some straightening when the wing is in place and the bolts are tightened and this is what is causing the probs w/struts. Decided to check this now (mounted the wind) instead of after getting the RX and servo wiring completed. Sure enough...warped struts and mis-aligned holes. That's when I noticed the wing was now straight ! Might need to make some shims/tubes to go over the mounting nuts....will advise.

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Last edited by Lonelasso; Dec 16, 2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:13 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,059 Posts
lasso, When I said my wings were straight, I did not mean straight across, I meant there were no warps or twists. There is a slight amound of dihedral in this model. Not very much, but a little bit. Sorry you may have miss understood me. Tom
Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:17 AM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
I just took the twist out of my wing tonight. The right was fine. Left was pretty twisted. It didn't take long to fix it.

I have an idea for the battery tray. I will post pictures in a couple of days when it's done.
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:40 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
lasso, When I said my wings were straight, I did not mean straight across, I meant there were no warps or twists. There is a slight amound of dihedral in this model. Not very much, but a little bit. Sorry you may have miss understood me. Tom
No biggy Tom Thx for the info !

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:52 AM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry B
I just took the twist out of my wing tonight. The right was fine. Left was pretty twisted. It didn't take long to fix it.

I have an idea for the battery tray. I will post pictures in a couple of days when it's done.
Same here, left wing was twisted. My struts fit fine after taking out the twist. Incidence meter does not lie.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:08 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
463 Posts
A good thing to check with a meter. Mine had looked straight but my first flight showed a strong left bank tendancy and it took full right trim to get level flight. After straightening the left panel it flew great. I added a few more details including instrument panel, forward cabin bracing and profile pilot figure. I drew the door lines with a fine tip sharpie marker and the tail braces are nylon coated fishing line. Just about done I think.

Jay
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Last edited by Jaybird; Dec 17, 2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:22 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by service_dude
Same here, left wing was twisted. My struts fit fine after taking out the twist. Incidence meter does not lie.
You aren't the only one. I'm disapointed with both this plane and the T-6.
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Dec 17, 2007, 04:10 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,059 Posts
Don't be disappointed. The people who assemble and cover these things have no idea what a wing warp is, or what it can do to a models ability to fly correctly. They are simply factory workers banging out one after the other, day after day, week after week. Always check an ARF's wings for warps. It's quite common to find them twisted. It just comes with the territory. They are built in a jig and straight as a poker, but then they are covered and shrunk by hand and warps will and do occur.
Mine didn't fly today. Too windy. Wednesay she will fly. Tom
Old Dec 17, 2007, 04:22 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
463 Posts
When you consider how lightly built these airframes are, it's amazing there aren't more twists. I remember the good old days when everyone complained about the sagging heavy weight covering coming off. The Taylorcraft is beautifully covered and know I couldn't do it any better. Luckily the light weight structure allows you to correct the problems. At least you guys are finding them on the work bench instead your maiden flight. It doesn't take much twist to make this little cutie a real bear in the air.

Jay
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old Dec 17, 2007, 07:36 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
I am going to have to get one of the meters. I just eyed mine, should be close though.

Jaybird, all the detail you did is great. I am going to do mine like that, hope you dont mind . I had been thinking of adding the tail braces. Yours looks great. Did you just drill holes and run it all the way around? How is it fastened? I have added fine leather string around my windows for trim, it hides the ragged edges of the covering that are visable.
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B