7,752 Posts
Where are the wing struts?
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
472 Posts
Didn't you hear, he broke them at some point. I don't know what people are expecting from this little plane...it's not a 33% Extra for crying out loud...it's barely more than a Gullows stick and tissue kit and if you treat it that way it's great. Flew off the crusted snow today in 20 degree weather...SWEET!!!
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old Dec 13, 2007, 03:09 PM
Buffalo Grove, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2002
139 Posts
I checked with three local hobby shops today for the new Taylorcraft, no luck they were all out of stock and Horizon says next month for the next shipment. One of the Hobby shops says there has been a recall on this model. Anyone else heard about this?
Bob
bobsan is offline Find More Posts by bobsan
Old Dec 13, 2007, 03:14 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
472 Posts
I work part time at the local hobby shop and after the shipment that came in I had heard that it would be a while before another shipment would be available. All the kits that came in are gone! I haven't heard anything about a recall but there are often a few new production bugs that take a while to get worked out with any item. That's the chance you take buying the first one off the boat no matter what the product. I'll ask this weekend.

Jay
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:24 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,965 Posts
Bob,
My T-Craft was the first one that came in to the Hobby Town in Glen Burnie Maryland and it is perfect. I have it ready to maiden when the weather gives me a break. Everything went together with no problem. I don't know who said there was a recall but I don't know what it would be based on my kit.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:42 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
472 Posts
Gary,

Congratulations! There are a lot of guys out there hoping to get one and we are among the lucky few. I did have some twists in a wing panel and the end of the fuselage but nothing I couldn't handle. I guess I was just soooo happy to get one that the repairs seemed pretty minor. Nothing was broken on mine but the second kit into the LHS did have a broken windshield which was odd. The hobby shop ordered a new one for him to replace it. Since I had bought mine as an employee I offered to give the store mine to give him but he wasn't going to put it together until after Christmas. They are mass produced and shipped in big containers from far away places and a lot can happen during that long voyage. I guess what I'm saying is that I've never had a "perfect" kit or ARF and I don't expect it to be perfect. There is always some strange choice in hardware or lack there of, or construction design that makes you scratch you head but that's part of the hobby.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 07:37 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Like to report of our Club Member's maiden with his E-Flite TaylorCraft with the E-Flite 480 Brushless Power and swinging the APC "E" 12 X 6 propeller

Can you say Vertical....just hanged from the propeller.

I have not only pictures but, a very good Video footage that I will upload when I get home.

Here the pic's and notice he did not have the struts as the owner said, "Dang this model is so fragile that the Struts broke in my hands."

He also mentioned something about the motor mount issue...I will ask him again next time I see him for additional details.

Did the model fly? You bet, just spectacular!

Could it be improved? Certainly!

Okay, here's the E-Flite TaylorCraft Maiden from this morning (Maiden flight @ Moon Port Modelers RC Club, Titusville, Florida).

You will hear the owners comments at the very end of the flight.

E-Flite TaylorCraft Maiden with owner comments! (3 min 53 sec)
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 13, 2007, 07:50 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Ed Couch,
Thanks for the comments on to use flaperons or not. I got the receiver bound last night, I will start to put the servos in the fuse and get the servos in the wing this weekend.

I will use my DX-7 for sure. Now I am not sure if I want another DX-7. That way I couuld have one for wet planes and one for electrics. Makes sense to me. That way I can get rid of all my other transmitters. Hi-Tec, Futaba.

Now I know what not to do. That is almost as good as knowing what to do many times.

Thanks for the info and I appreciate it.
I will stick with the KISS formula.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Dec 13, 2007, 07:52 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
Great video guys. Congratulations on the maiden.

I finally made it through reading the whole thread. I am going to start mine tonight. Using a 480 too. There are four of them at our flying field so far.
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Old Dec 13, 2007, 07:57 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry B
Great video guys. Congratulations on the maiden.

I finally made it through reading the whole thread. I am going to start mine tonight. Using a 480 too. There are four of them at our flying field so far.
Thanks! To think that I was getting ready to leave for work and the gentleman showed up...he is one of our Snow Bird members

I was near my car and quickly took out my Camcorder out just in time for the maiden....not a second to spare as Ron (the President is all business).
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:23 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,073 Posts
Nice video Carlos. I had mine just about ready to go for tomorrows maiden and found one of my brand new Horizon S75 servos was bad on the ailerons. First I thought it was the wiring so I ran to the LHS and bought heavier servo extensions and a better quality Y harness. It still did it. Changed out the servo and that was it. Now I need a servo for the elevator because that is the one I used to replace the one on the aileron. Bummer. No maiden flight tomorrow. Guess I will fly my Pollutionless Pig or Tiger Kitten. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:30 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Tom,

Bummer! Sorry to learn ....well, it's better to find it on the ground then......well let's not go there.

Hope you have fun in the morning....it has been beautiful weather (Florida!)
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:10 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
Right...nice weather, rub it in . I see guys in shorts. We had snow here today on the Canadian west coast, about 0.0C.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:10 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
472 Posts
We had snow in the New England East coast too...what's wrong with all these guys in the middle? Get with the program and buy some skis. Sunshine is for wimps.

Respectfully,

Jay
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:19 AM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
Funny Jay

Actually I am looking forward to flying in the snow with skis on. They are predicting snow for Christmas so I will try to have it done for then.