HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2007, 07:02 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Ahhh the ole Talorcraft, yeah I saw this the other day and I love it!

It's about the same size as my HL Bird dog, which has a 45" span and wieghs about the same. In fact I have it powered with the same Park450 and it's plenty of power for it, in fact too much even.

Yes I do like the directions Eflight is going, both in their planes and electronics. I especially like the way they designate motors, much more simple and easy to pick from and understand.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2007, 07:23 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
It is interesting to read this thread for the first time. Been pretty busy with other projects.

First off on the missing tailwheel. I caught the tail wheel wire in the car when I pulled it out, this in turn caused the keeper to come off. I did not have any CA with me to resecure it and when we flew from the track at the local college in a 10+ mph cross wind the tailwheel came off on one of the touch and go's. Flew the rest of it without it and didn't worry about it much.

The outline on this T-craft is dead on, but it has the incorrect trim scheme. We wanted to give a more classic trim scheme on this model and hence the one it comes with. This model is a reduced version of the older Hangar 9 Taylorcraft that was out a number of years ago. The real aircraft that it is modeled after lives out on the west coast, and was modified as you see it. The real bird has only one seat (we added two in our kit) and has the modified tail group for better aerobatics (we kept that because I knew you guys wanted to rock the house).

The plane flies very nice and is capable of any of the basic aerobatic manuevers. Because so many guys have installed 1020 Kv Park 480's on Mini Ultra Stick's and Mini Pulse's I conceeded and made the model capable of using either one. It doesn't need it, but you guys think all models should be doing mach 2, right? This is the perfect step up from either the Mini Pulse or Mini Ultra Stick as mentioned earlier in this thread.

We think the model is pretty light for the overall planform area. I guess it is all in how you look at it. There is a very large amount of wetted area for this sized model.

Thanks for all the support on this model, I think you will like it. It knife edges great to say the least.

Take care,

John Redman
E-Flite Product Developer
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Oct 04, 2007, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
John, these new planes look GREAT. E-Flite is doing a fantastic job bringing great planes to the market.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Oct 04, 2007, 08:20 PM
Joined Apr 2006
29 Posts
To all those thinking this plane is too heavy for its size, I have to disagree. It will still slow way down for landing and scale flight.

How do I know? I have an almost identically sized and weight sure flight clipped wing cub at 50 span, 400 in/sq and 33 oz. I can assure all of you that it is capable of very slow flight and landings are done at what appears to be a walking pace.

BTW, the sure flight is just a styrofoam plane, like a big gws cub, and it STILL weighs 33 oz. The eflite taylorcraft is not heavy at all.

BTW, yes, I'll be getting one.
Dean at LHS is offline Find More Posts by Dean at LHS
Old Oct 04, 2007, 08:23 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean at LHS
To all those thinking this plane is too heavy for its size, I have to disagree. It will still slow way down for landing and scale flight.

How do I know? I have an almost identically sized and weight sure flight clipped wing cub at 50 span, 400 in/sq and 33 oz. I can assure all of you that it is capable of very slow flight and landings are done at what appears to be a walking pace.

BTW, the sure flight is just a styrofoam plane, like a big gws cub, and it STILL weighs 33 oz. The eflite taylorcraft is not heavy at all.

BTW, yes, I'll be getting one.
Dean!

Thanks for sharing......this was my exact thoughts and earlier post a few pages back!

I too will be clicking for one!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Oct 04, 2007, 08:36 PM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
Ok I'll agree with you --but what do you put a value on your time??? Guarantee its going to take you a lot longer than a few hours to get your t-craft in the air.

I'm willing to pay the extra few dolloars to have a kit very much complete for me.
I think you're missing the point of why such models are built. They are not built to be put up in the air at the first opportunity you have to fly but for the sheer fun of building something unique and developing a skill beyond doing spot landings or aerobatic maneuvers.

I understand that it will take more than a few hours to build my Comet T-craft as it has taken several hours already. I have other planes to fly so I don't feel that I need to rush out to the field with this one tomorrow. I'm looking forward to not only fly this plane but to designing how the motor and equipment will be mounted, kit bashing it to make the wing removable and chosing the color of the covering and the graphics. There is a lot to like about building a kit for those with the patience. For those who would rather have something that's just nice to fly that has not taken any effort to build then E-flite has some great choices and the T-craft should be one of them.

Rob
pac ace is offline Find More Posts by pac ace
Last edited by pac ace; Oct 04, 2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2007, 08:43 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Rob,

I must agree with you...not only do you build for the joy but, when you do build a "kit" or "Scratch" build you end up with a very sound and at times very well thought out RC Model that will perform very well and with the hardware that you selected for it's purpose and flying style.

I must admitt that my time is very limited as I just got home about an hour ago and I am pretty tired but, I did start on another RC "Kit" the Hobby Lobby mini-Telemaster as all wood and hardware is in the box.....my plans to build the Comet T-Craft would need to wait a little longer.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Oct 04, 2007, 08:53 PM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
G-man,

When I picked up the T-craft I was looking at the Mini-Tele and the Miss Stick as I wanted a larger kit than my normal 35"-40" ws parkflyer. They all seem like great choices.

Rob
Old Oct 05, 2007, 01:32 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
I will say the Taylorcraft won't land at a walking pace, I wish it would. It is very well behaved in the flight envelope.

Hey Pace Ace, I have to say way to go bud. It is great to hear there are still a few of us out there that enjoy gluing balsa together. I am sure you will be rewarded with a great flying model when complete. I only wish that more guys who enter this sport on teh ARF kick would pick up a kit and build it. They truely do not know what they are missing. And keep in mind, the company I work for (Horizon Hobby) does not sell one kit at all.

Take care guys,

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Oct 05, 2007, 01:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
I will say the Taylorcraft won't land at a walking pace, I wish it would. It is very well behaved in the flight envelope.

Hey Pace Ace, I have to say way to go bud. It is great to hear there are still a few of us out there that enjoy gluing balsa together. I am sure you will be rewarded with a great flying model when complete. I only wish that more guys who enter this sport on teh ARF kick would pick up a kit and build it. They truely do not know what they are missing. And keep in mind, the company I work for (Horizon Hobby) does not sell one kit at all.

Take care guys,

John
Hi John,

I'm a brand new 'balsa and covering' convert, only because I was pretty much terrified at the thought of covering a plane. I figured I could get the building part, but the covering would wreck it for me.

Thanks to Mountain Models kits, and an excellent covering tutorial written by one of our members, I decided to take the plunge and see if I could actually put one together and fly it.

I can't really say I got a more fulfilling sense of satisfaction by building a kit. To me, it was about as satisfying as building one of my foamies.

But the REAL satisfaction was in seeing these things FLY!!!!!! Geeeeeeeeze, what a difference! Bruce always told me that a kit would fly better, and more graceful than a foamie, but I never thought they would fly THAT much better.

Needless to say, I still love my foamies, and will build more I'm sure.... but I am now a certified balsa junkie...

Here's my first two I recently completed. Lots of mistakes and my work is not up to the level of the real pros, but they're mine... and they fly sooooooooooooooooo NICE !!!!!!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Last edited by NoFlyZone; Oct 05, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 05, 2007, 02:18 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Thanks for the insight John. Along with a lot of a other people, I'm pretty excited about these new releases from E-flite.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Oct 05, 2007, 03:29 AM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
This E-flite Taylorcraft 450 looks pretty good. December release, might be a good candidate for some snow ski's. I noticed the control surfaces are pre hinged too, less for me to do
service_dude is offline Find More Posts by service_dude
Old Oct 05, 2007, 06:20 AM
Isle of Rhode, US
Joined Sep 2004
1,041 Posts
I have to say, "lands at a walking pace" is one of the most over-used phrases in RC modeling. To get most planes within a walking pace they need either extremely low wingloading or a decent head-wind.

Here's an example of close to walking pace - still a touch faster.

http://www.dreamer.rchomepage.com/AntExodus.wmv
SKY KING is offline Find More Posts by SKY KING
Old Oct 05, 2007, 07:00 AM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
John,

Thanks for the compliments. I've really liked the planes that I've seen you guys produce like the p-47 and the Jn-4 but unfortunately due to work and family I find it much easier to sneak down to the basement for a few minutes to a few hours than to get to the flying field. I was out there with my Dumas Waco and some Mountain Models/Stevens Aero kits earlier this week and it was the first time I was out flying since July. If I were to purchase an ARF I would feel absolutely terrible having it just sitting most of the time due to lack of opportunity.

Keep up the good work and maybe someday when I have more time I'll be able to pick up one of your planes and know it will get some good flight time.

Rob
Old Oct 05, 2007, 02:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKY KING
I have to say, "lands at a walking pace" is one of the most over-used phrases in RC modeling. To get most planes within a walking pace they need either extremely low wingloading or a decent head-wind.

I agree, was only trying to make a point in my post above. It does land slowly and in full control, but not at 3mph.
Dean at LHS is offline Find More Posts by Dean at LHS