SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:57 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Holy Crap. I didn't realize the replacement wings were $100. That is terrible. Might as well buy the entire plane for $50 more. I figured that if I needed to, I could use my wings and tail and just buy a fuse for pretty cheap and I could rebuild my plane for pretty cheap but I was wrong. By the time I bought a fuse, cowl, windshield... etc. I would have spent more than buying a new plane. Crazy
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:40 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
I was going to cave in and sell you my spare wings UNTIL I looked @ the replacement cost. Holy ... . Been in the box for going on 4 years? I just know as soon as they're sold I'll cartwheel down the runway.

Dan
Exactly,

Its not really worth it to buy the parts from Horizon, and all of us with various spares dont want to part with ours, so just like you I have had a spare fuse sitting in a box for quite some time. I am going to buy a new airframe regardless, great little plane and I would hate to not have one to beat around when my current one gives it up.

Matt
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:21 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Tailwheel

Well, all the equipment for the build has shown up, and I am pleased to report that the quality of the kit is really good. There are no wrinkles on the ultracote, and the wings are straight as can be.

I have the new landing gear axles built and the 2.75" tires mounted, but I was wondering (since this is my first non-foamy build) if someone could give me a recommendation on how to mount the new tail wheel.

Thanks in advance fellas.
overthebars is offline Find More Posts by overthebars
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:18 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
So what are you guys doing to fit the wider tire on this plane? Sounds like you have to make up some new gear maybe?...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:46 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
So what are you guys doing to fit the wider tire on this plane? Sounds like you have to make up some new gear maybe?...
Yes, just make your own axle. 5/32" copper tube fits inside the 4mm wheel opening perfectly, then a 3mm bolt through the inside of the tube for a snug, smooth rolling assembly. Just make sure you cut the copper tubing just a bit wider than the wheel itself so once you put the nut on it will spin freely and not hang-up on the wheel.
Last edited by overthebars; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:24 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Thanks! I have done that with another model... worked great. and I might be lucky enough to still have some tubing left from it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:15 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthebars View Post
Well, all the equipment for the build has shown up, and I am pleased to report that the quality of the kit is really good. There are no wrinkles on the ultracote, and the wings are straight as can be.

I have the new landing gear axles built and the 2.75" tires mounted, but I was wondering (since this is my first non-foamy build) if someone could give me a recommendation on how to mount the new tail wheel.

Thanks in advance fellas.
For the tailwheel setup, you want to center up the bracket on the fuse, and make sure the tailwheel wire and collar where it swivels is centered on the rudders hinge point. So that when you move the rudder there is no binding up of either it or the tailwheel bracket. Mark your holes for the screws and drill them out and then soak them with thin ca. When all is dry, mount up the assembly and screw it to the fuse, and the aluminum arm to the rudder. Re check for any binding between them and if all feels good you can either loosen it all back up and wick some thin ca under the bracket on the fuse as well as the rudder, or if it feels good and strong enough, skip the extra glue and you are all done. The beauty of this setup is it takes all the load that used to be on the rudder and rudder hinges and moves it all to the fuselage, so premature failure of the rudder,hinges,and tailwheel are all a non issue now. Besides that, its really light and looks great.

Hope this helps, if you have any trouble let me know and Ill put up some pics, or talk you through any point that you may want clarified a bit more.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:43 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Mendo, you are the man! That all makes sense, thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:56 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Well, got the build finished.... what a great airplane, can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get her maidened. I still have some detailing to do, like the air intake screens, etc. but she is ready to fly. I really love the look of the final product with the "tundra tires" and no pants... we see planes set up this way all the time landing at the back-country airport up by our cabin.

I know you guys have seen a hundred pictures of this model, so I will just add some of the Extreme Flight carbon fiber tail wheel assembly mounted up per Mendo's grateful help, which worked beautifully by the way. Also a picture of how the plane sits now mounted up with the 2-3/4" Reals tires and new tail wheel.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:35 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,092 Posts
Quote:
Well, got the build finished.... what a great airplane, can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get her maidened. I still have some detailing to do, like the air intake screens, etc. but she is ready to fly. I really love the look of the final product with the "tundra tires" and no pants... we see planes set up this way all the time landing at the back-country airport up by our cabin.

I know you guys have seen a hundred pictures of this model, so I will just add some of the Extreme Flight carbon fiber tail wheel assembly mounted up per Mendo's grateful help, which worked beautifully by the way. Also a picture of how the plane sits now mounted up with the 2-3/4" Reals tires and new tail wheel.
Man, that sure looks nice!!! I really like that tail wheel assembly. If, or perhaps I should say "when", my stock tail wheel goes bad I will certainly get the EF one like yours. Thanks for the pictures.

Freddy
Fredriksson is online now Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:14 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
Man, that sure looks nice!!! I really like that tail wheel assembly. If, or perhaps I should say "when", my stock tail wheel goes bad I will certainly get the EF one like yours. Thanks for the pictures.

Freddy
Yeah, I am thinking about making my tail wheel go bad cause I want that one!

Edit: Dang it. I just went to order that tail wheel and it was out of stock.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:23 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
423 Posts
Thanks for the tail wheel idea. Now I can cut the tail wheel off of my float plane and if I ever want to convert to land again, I can add this tail wheel. Maybe I should buy one first since I see the out of stock note.
GCplane is online now Find More Posts by GCplane
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:54 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Haha, now that I let the cat out of the bag on the EF tailwheel setups they will be even more scarce! They seem to restock them every other month or so....My Tcraft was involved in sneaking to the field for an hour or so earlier today
Was COLD out despite the sunshine. Looking good Overthebars by the way...
I snapped a couple quick pics while there...

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mendo; Jan 14, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:40 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,710 Posts
Quote:

Use a flour siv for the grills,,its the perfect mesh size,,just get one from the kitchen and dont tell your wife lol : )
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:22 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Use a flour siv for the grills,,its the perfect mesh size,,just get one from the kitchen and dont tell your wife lol : )
I asked her yesterday if she had an extra flour sieve in the kitchen, she said "No, why?". I just walked away and said, "never mind..."

Bummer... oh well, a quick trip to the grocery store will take care of that one.