Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:27 AM
fortuna favet fortibus
Schweiz, AG, Merenschwand
Joined Oct 2011
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthebars View Post
Great video!

I am stoked........ just ordered this plane today. I've got a hanger full of war birds and really miss the ability of having a nice, mellow, scale flyer to enjoy now and again. I learned to fly with the HobbyZone SuperCub, and there is just something about this TaylorCraft that makes me want it NOW.

I'm going to buy the Park 480, E-Flite 40 amp pro switch-mode BEC, and Hitec 65HB servos over the next couple of months and have her ready to maiden by the time the snow melts.
I would recommend to change the tail wheel from the beginning. It is to noisy and bad quality. All the rest is fine.
Wobisch is offline Find More Posts by Wobisch
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:21 AM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobisch View Post
I would recommend to change the tail wheel from the beginning. It is to noisy and bad quality. All the rest is fine.
Sounds good. Thanks Wobisch!

I am not going to use the wheel pants, as I will be installing larger "tundra" tires on her since I generally launch from either the grass field or running track at the local Middle School.

What did you do for your rear wheel?
overthebars is offline Find More Posts by overthebars
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:57 PM
fortuna favet fortibus
Schweiz, AG, Merenschwand
Joined Oct 2011
897 Posts
Quote:
Sounds good. Thanks Wobisch!

I am not going to use the wheel pants, as I will be installing larger "tundra" tires on her since I generally launch from either the grass field or running track at the local Middle School.

What did you do for your rear wheel?
I did not change the wheel yet, that's why it sounds so bad in the video.
Wobisch is offline Find More Posts by Wobisch
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:40 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Well, I ordered the 2-1/4" Reals tires for my initial build.... after searching through over 200 pages of posts, it looks like the only option for a new/better tail wheel is the Dubro tail wheel assembly? Anyone else had better luck with something else on the tail wheel?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Well, I ordered the 2-1/4" Reals tires for my initial build.... after searching through over 200 pages of posts, it looks like the only option for a new/better tail wheel is the Dubro tail wheel assembly? Anyone else had better luck with something else on the tail wheel?
Extreme Flight makes a really nice carbon fiber tailwheel setup I have been planning on putting on mine when the stock one gives it up. I use them on my 3dhs stuff thats park size.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:36 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Extreme Flight makes a really nice carbon fiber tailwheel setup I have been planning on putting on mine when the stock one gives it up. I use them on my 3dhs stuff thats park size.

Mendo
I saw that one on a google search, but noticed the smallest tailwheel (Unit-A) is built for a plane weighing between 10&20 pounds. That is substantially heavier than the TaylorCraft.... but, since i've already added "Tundra Tires" maybe this tailwheel will fit the bill and not look too huge.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
I saw that one on a google search, but noticed the smallest tailwheel (Unit-A) is built for a plane weighing between 10&20 pounds. That is substantially heavier than the TaylorCraft.... but, since i've already added "Tundra Tires" maybe this tailwheel will fit the bill and not look too huge.
They make a lightweight park size tailwheel setup thats carbon fiber. Ill link it....

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...roducts_id=111

These are the way to go.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
prm10
Houston, Texas
Joined Aug 2010
37 Posts
Name: image.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 268.9 KB
Description:

Here's what I put on my Taylorcraft. Works beautifully. Sorry for the sideways picture.
prmiller10 is offline Find More Posts by prmiller10
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:47 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prmiller10 View Post
Attachment 5411315

Here's what I put on my Taylorcraft. Works beautifully. Sorry for the sideways picture.
That is a good looking tail wheel. Is that the Extreme Flight tail wheel?

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
That looks like the midwest or dubro 10 size tailwheel bracket. They are robust but for my personal tastes a bit on the heavy side. The extreme flight tailwheel weighs a fraction of the above and is also very robust. For comparison that tailwheel setup probably weighs well over an ounce, the EF one is a few grams. Ill try to find a pic of one or go take one of the EF mounted.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Pics....Not the best on short notice, but you can see how it mounts and so forth. Carbon Fiber is hard to beat if you have to add anything to the tail, as small amounts of weight there make big cg changes.....This setup is like 8 grams before the tailwheel itself is added, and in this case the tailwheel weighs a gram max.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:49 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
That plane looks like an AJ Slick. It almost looks like that wheel itself would fit on the Taylorcraft tail wheel shaft. Or is the mounting hole too big on that wheel to fit on the TC?

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:56 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
That plane looks like an AJ Slick. It almost looks like that wheel itself would fit on the Taylorcraft tail wheel shaft. Or is the mounting hole too big on that wheel to fit on the TC?

Freddy
It will fit the tcraft with zero issues, just throw away the tailwheel wire etc. that comes with the tcraft and bolt up the Extreme flight setup. If you look at the link I put up a few posts earlier you will see what all you get in the setup and that should answer any questions. I didnt mount one on my tcraft yet as it was built before I discovered the extreme flight tailwheel setup existed and I will change it when my stock tailwheel decides to rip itself loose. ( I fly off grass ) so its a matter of time. The pics above are of a shiny new AJ slick I havent yet finished up...Trust me, for this size aircraft the Extreme Flight carbon micro tailwheel cant be beat, quality or money wise.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:52 AM
prm10
Houston, Texas
Joined Aug 2010
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
That is a good looking tail wheel. Is that the Extreme Flight tail wheel?

Freddy
It's the Dubro Tailwheel Assembly. It is a little bulky and has a little weight to it but my TC needed weight in the tail anyways. In fact, after I added this assembly I still had to add a few ounces to the tail to get it the way I like it. But I have put this on all my taildraggers and they are extremely reliable and strong and keep the plane taxiing straight. I don't have any experience with any other assemblies but I highly recommend these. The Extreme Flight Assembly looks nice too.
prmiller10 is offline Find More Posts by prmiller10
Last edited by prmiller10; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:35 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
They make a lightweight park size tailwheel setup thats carbon fiber. Ill link it....

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...roducts_id=111

These are the way to go.

Mendo
Thanks Mendo! I don't know how I missed that on the site
I'm all over that assembly!