HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:27 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
My scratch built rudder worked very nice. Notice how it turns nicely while taxiing. It also takes off and lands nicely. Here is the proof. (A rudder photo is a few posts back). I could not turn at will on the maiden flight before I put on the rudder.
Gorgeous plane and beautiful flight. Those floats look like they belong on that Taylorcraft. I can't wait to see the pics after you get the stripes on them.

That landing was sooo perfect. How long did it take for the smile to go away? And it looks like the water rudder is very responsive. Nice job.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, WV, Salem
Joined Mar 2006
147 Posts
Hi

I had this plane and it is a really good and docile flyer. Powered it with the E Flite 480. It does basics areobatics with ease and has a really nice scale touches for a ARF. Unforunately I lost the plane due a stripped out HS55 on a alieron that I did not catch

Thanks Scott
baddley is offline Find More Posts by baddley
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Anyone got the color of the red on this plane? I am sure I read what that color was somewhere in this thread but none of my searches have been able to locate it. I am having a decal made for my TC and want the decal color to be as close as possible to the real color of the red.

Freddy
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Ultracoat Deep Red
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:45 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
I am having a decal made for my TC and want the decal color to be as close as possible to the real color of the red.

Freddy
I did some digging around for either the RGB or the CMYK conversion but came up empty. Problem is the output on the printer since no two are the same.

Best thing I can say is to load a high quality raw image (of the covering) onto your graphic designers computer and open it up in something like Paint Shop Pro or eqiv. Use the eyedropper tool to select a part of the image you think matches. That will show you the RGB code. The designer should have something better like PhotoShop for doing this. PS lists rgb & cmyk under the picker. Then you can print a few different small 1" x 1" boxes with different color codes and match the printer output to an actual piece of the covering. Small graphics don't really show up as a color mis-match but large ones do.

It's not as complicated as it seems, it's just time consuming. The only other method is if you have a sign shop vendor that can cut vinyl. (like ultracote)They can load the covering into the cutter and just cut the material for your graphic. This doesn't always work because most of the sign shops use a heavier type of material. Ultracote tends to peel off the backing during the cut process. More so if the graphics are made of small details. Here's a shot of the logos I made in Corel Draw and sent to my local sign shop for printing & cutting on clear sticky back. Peel & Apply. HTH.. (these fit my TC just perfect and add a bit of pizazz)

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
Fred,
Look at the pictures of the full scale N4417B, here,

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../7/1079763.jpg

I had these made by Callie Graphics for my Taylorcraft.

They only cost $6.00 or so. Got them in a few days. Callie should have them on file. Feel free to use my pics if you want.

Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
I hear you on the Callie-Graphics.com. Great service at very reasonable prices.

It appears that there are 2 logos for Taylorcraft. The one on your plane, like this,

and this one which looks like the one on the full scale N4417B that you linked to. It is hard to tell if it is in fact this logo in the picture. Here is that logo,

Looking though Taylorcraft planes at airliners.net, I find both of these logos being used along with at least one other that just says "Taylorcraft" in fancy script lettering. The Taylorcraft ball caps available online use the logo that is not the wing style.

And, while finding the cap I found this. LOL The plane is a Taylorcraft.

I have Callie doing some vinyl graphics for my Taylorcraft right now. She even has access to the color that matches the Ultracoat Deep Red by Hangar 9 used on this plane. I think I will ask Callie to do the Taylorcraft wing style of logo in the Deep Red to put on my plane.

Freddy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:31 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Just because Calli-Graphics was brought up, here is a pic of my newest plane. The Echo decal on the tail, my wife's name for the plane, was designed and produced by Callie. I just gave her an idea and she ran with it.

Freddy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:57 PM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
Freddy,
That is COOL! Exactly what is it? Or is it your own design?

I just talked to my Dad. He told me that the guy that owns the company that he works for, just bought an old Taylorcraft, in FLYABLE condition, for $4000!
Not sure what model it is, but I will find out more. The guy also owns a Cirrus SR22.
Not models, the real deal!

Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post
Freddy,
That is COOL! Exactly what is it? Or is it your own design?
Troutbum
Thanks Trout. That is a 3D Hobby Shop 42" Vyper Bype.

Freddy
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:41 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
Hello all, I'm looking for some landing tips for the T-Craft. Mine crashed on its second flight several months ago, but I rebuilt it. The second maiden was yesterday, and everything went fine. My favorite thing to do with scale GA planes is touch and goes. I found making a good touchdown challenging. It may be because this plane is so light. I fly it with some TP1320's. My approaches look good, I tried 3 pt landings and wheel landings. The wheel landings usually look a bit smoother, but it still bounces almost every time. I am thinking of trying an 1800 or 2200 to see if a slightly heavier wing loading tames it down a bit.
I've also considered some different wheels with a bit of shock absorbing quality.

Also, just to ease anyone's concern, this is not my first plane. I've been flying RC for 25 years. I really just wanted to know if anyone else has had trouble making smooth scale like landings. I did land in the grass next to the paved runway, and that made everything better, but I had to keep it quick on the ground, or it wouldn't take back off with the little wheels.

Thanks, Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
I landed the Taylorcraft with wheels a couple of times to trim it up before I put on floats. I turn off power coming out of the approach turn. I may give it a little burst of power during a approach if it looks like it is moving too slow. Power is definitely off when I reach the runway.
As I reach the runway I level off my plane. I try to fly the plane a couple of inches above the ground and let sink rate cause it to touch down. As the plane sinks I keep "trying" to make it fly until it touches down.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:12 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
Hello all, I'm looking for some landing tips for the T-Craft. I fly it with some TP1320's. I am thinking of trying an 1800 or 2200 to see if a slightly heavier wing loading tames it down a bit.
I've also considered some different wheels with a bit of shock absorbing quality.
Thanks, Ryan
Practice practice practice. For T&G's, I always have some power on and never let the TW settle in. For landing, same thing and chop the power after my main gear is down and then let the tw settle in. There's a real fine line in having just enough power to keep the tail up and go down the RW on the main gear vs lifting off or the tail settling in. Have you tried some taxing without lifting off but the tail is up? I switched over to the Dubro 1.75" foam treaded tires to help reduce bounce. I also use 2200 size packs. Gives a tad more weight to stay settled in & CG is perfect. With practice, you can go for 3~400' just on the mains and it looks sweet. HTH

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
Practice practice practice. For T&G's, I always have some power on and never let the TW settle in. For landing, same thing and chop the power after my main gear is down and then let the tw settle in. There's a real fine line in having just enough power to keep the tail up and go down the RW on the main gear vs lifting off or the tail settling in. Have you tried some taxing without lifting off but the tail is up? I switched over to the Dubro 1.75" foam treaded tires to help reduce bounce. I also use 2200 size packs. Gives a tad more weight to stay settled in & CG is perfect. With practice, you can go for 3~400' just on the mains and it looks sweet. HTH

Dan
Yep,,you must keep a little power on all the way to the floor to get good stable slow flight to land or touch and go and i use 2200mah as i like the solid feel of a bit of weight .
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:50 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
It appears that there are 2 logos for Taylorcraft. The one on your plane, like this,
I made a shirt (for sale) with a very old Taylorcraft logo...
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher