SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:30 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
The 910Kv motor is a dog. It's pretty shocking how much more power the 1020Kv has for being the same size and weight. Float flying or otherwise, stay away from that 910, it is not money well spent.

-Jay
Jay,

You may have had a bad 910kv motor, or I have a really good wound one......

I ran the 910 motor in my tcraft with a tbird 36 for a while and it flew great, I since tossed that motor and esc in a maxford albatross and fitted the tcraft with the 1020 motor and a pheonix 45, and its really not alot more punch spinning the same prop, although I also added a cc 10a ubec and a bunch of telemetry stuff, so the added weight could be offsetting the power increase. Long story short, I dont think the 910 is a poor perfomer at all.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
Maidened my Taylorcraft today using wheels. It flew great and landings were perfect. I am working on my floats now.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:55 AM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
Maidened my Taylorcraft today using wheels. It flew great and landings were perfect. I am working on my floats now.
Congratulations on the successful maiden. Doesn't this plane fly great? I really love the scale looking take offs and landings. And all the stuff in between is great too.

Hope to see a picture of your TC with floats soon.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:40 PM
The Best or Nothing
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2008
221 Posts
Maidened today. What a beautiful and relaxing plane to fly!

Park 480
Xoar 11x5
3S 1000mah Easily 6min flight times...

RustyT3FT is offline Find More Posts by RustyT3FT
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyT3FT View Post
Maidened today. What a beautiful and relaxing plane to fly!

Park 480
Xoar 11x5
3S 1000mah Easily 6min flight times...

Looks sweet man! I see you tossed some diamond lite's on it, paint the prop tips on that xoar and its a heartbreaker to be sure.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:41 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
I made an air exit louver from pieces of basswood and balsa to stop water from splashing into my float plane. I used 26 inch floats from seaplane supply. I glued in a wood strip made of basswood for where the frame attaches and balsa in other places.
Each float is now about 86 grams or 3 oz. I built the frame by bending piano wire using a vise and a hammer. I made the cross braces from carbon fiber. I drilled holes an aluminum tube to make connections between the carbon fiber and the piano wire legs. I took photos before I painted the frame and covered the floats so the construction is visible. More photos later after painting. The floats are 12 inches apart and the legs sit on a 12x12 square. The top of the frame is about 4.5 x 8 to and attach where the formers are in the fuselage. During assembly of the plane I glued wood attachment points into the fuselage.
Last edited by GCplane; Sep 04, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
I have been working overtime on my job, but I finally got to cover my floats and paint my struts. I covered them with Ultracoat. I kept my Iron at about 115 C measured by the thermal sensor on my multimeter. They are the same color as the airplane (not white like the photo looks). I painted the struts with automotive paint.
Last edited by GCplane; Sep 14, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:28 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
Here is my plane floating in some water in a tub to check its balance.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
Here is my plane floating in some water in a tub to check its balance.
That is one gorgeous Taylorcraft. Looks awesome on them floats!!! I saw your post showing the floats and was looking forward to a pic of the finished product. It looks even better than I imagined. Have you flown this plane yet? What power system and prop are you using? This is just my opinion, but a wood prop would look really good. I use cheap Turnigy props like these.

Another modification I like is the screened in air inlets on the front of the cowl like shown below.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Last edited by Fredriksson; Sep 18, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:10 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
I flew the plane using wheels a couple of times and trimmed it out. I am using the eflite 480 motor. I am using an APC 11x5.5. I have used that prop for a number of planes and it has great thrust. Freddy, your prop and grill look great!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:36 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
599 Posts
Looking good - you will love the floats.
Don't use a wood prop with floats- if it contacts the water it will splinter. A non wood prop will have no damage at all.

Cub Fan
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
984 Posts
Looking to buy I want to have a pilot this is a Hanger 1/7 think it will fit and look right?
http://www.advantagehobby.com/112833/HAN9110/
Also this is a another good source of fastners
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/SSC.cfm
Be Safe & thanks for the help
Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:39 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
The plane looks better here than it did in the tub. This is just before my first float flight with it.
I also got a video that I will try to post later. Now that I know it flies good off the water I will add some red stripes to the sides of the floats.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:46 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
420 Posts
I Maidened my Taylorcraft. The wind was about 10 mph. I could not taxi the Taylorcraft downwind so now I am working on a water rudder for it.
Last edited by GCplane; May 14, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,544 Posts
Where to buy

I am getting ready to buy one who has some good deals?
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man