HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:43 AM
USA, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW View Post
CyberJay, cant wait to see the videos of it in action

I repaired a minor damage on the wing and need some covering to patch up the cut out section. Anyone have some UltraCote Cream (U878) and Deep Red (U871) they could sell me. It costs 20$ a roll at the LHS, a bit of a waste when I only need little. Please PM me if you do.
I bought a roll of each to cover my floats. I have used it quite a few times when covering the floats and adding flaps. Also for occasional mishaps. Definitely been worth it for me.
mr.x. is offline Find More Posts by mr.x.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
mr.x.,

Can you post pics and info of your float setup ( Its a mission digging through this thread if you already put pics up ) I live 2 minutes from a lake and have been thinking about floats for mine, but I dont want foam floats, I want something nice.

Thanks,
Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
Helis & Floatplanes
United States, WA, Bremerton
Joined May 2009
162 Posts
@Mendo - I'm not Mr. X, but I did post pictures of my floats some time back. Here's a link.

The 27" floats from Plane Fun Floats are ideal for the TC, and can be mounted in a number of ways. Give 'em a look.

Cheers,
Ray
Tahuyeh is offline Find More Posts by Tahuyeh
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:49 PM
USA, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
mr.x.,

Can you post pics and info of your float setup ( Its a mission digging through this thread if you already put pics up ) I live 2 minutes from a lake and have been thinking about floats for mine, but I dont want foam floats, I want something nice.

Thanks,
Mendo
The ones I have are just the foam super cub floats. I added covering to match the plane so they actually look pretty nice. I will post up some info when i get a chance
mr.x. is offline Find More Posts by mr.x.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
After 100 uneventful flights the Taylorcraft met its match this morning. It started out as a perfect morning. Low 50's with no wind. On the 4th flight I figured I'd come back around for a low pass. Coming in for final I thought I had cleared the nearby light pole but unfortunately that wasn't the case

I'll order a new fuse as well as pick up a new motor and ESC and she'll be as good as new.

I'd like to learn how to repair the damage so after getting the new fuse I'll see how it's put together and use that as a template for the damaged one.
sq0nk is offline Find More Posts by sq0nk
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,077 Posts
Ouch... I hate when that happens.
TomM is offline Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
Oh the sickening feeling that comes with CRUNCH.
Great idea to put the damaged parts away for a while, then check on repairability.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq0nk View Post
After 100 uneventful flights the Taylorcraft met its match this morning. It started out as a perfect morning. Low 50's with no wind. On the 4th flight I figured I'd come back around for a low pass. Coming in for final I thought I had cleared the nearby light pole but unfortunately that wasn't the case

I'll order a new fuse as well as pick up a new motor and ESC and she'll be as good as new.

I'd like to learn how to repair the damage so after getting the new fuse I'll see how it's put together and use that as a template for the damaged one.
Hate to see it. Sorry for your loss.

Why are you replacing the motor and ESC? Unless something electrical happened at the time of the crash I would imagine those items are fine. A motor shaft is pretty cheap compared to the full price of a Park 480. They're not hard to change.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Oh the sickening feeling that comes with CRUNCH.
What a sick feeling. I was just watching the plane thinking at how great it looked and then watched in utter disbelief as it hit the pole and dropped like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
Hate to see it. Sorry for your loss.

Why are you replacing the motor and ESC? Unless something electrical happened at the time of the crash I would imagine those items are fine. A motor shaft is pretty cheap compared to the full price of a Park 480. They're not hard to change.

-Jay
The ESC was bent in half and the the outer bell (for lack of better term) on the motor was bent. Had it been just the shaft I would happily replace it.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,066 Posts
Quote:
The ESC was bent in half and the the outer bell (for lack of better term) on the motor was bent. Had it been just the shaft I would happily replace it.
Oh man.. That's impressive.

It sucks for sure. But it's part of the hobby. My wife took this picture for me way back in 2008 when I was pretty new to flying. I used to HATE it and was somewhat mad at her that she took it, but I've gotten over it and I like it now.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:01 PM
Fly low and slow ?
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2007
149 Posts
Quote:
This sounds to me like that light pole had it in for you for a while now
As for the ESC and motor maybe try ordering from Hobby King, they have that easy match series of motors and I think it has a 450 equivalent.
motoman97 is offline Find More Posts by motoman97
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
I have to agree on the light pole statement. I guess I taunted it one too many times.

Now it's time to move on and start the rebuild process. It's a great plane and a blast to fly so I'd like to get it up and running soon.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
Jay - I was just under half throttle but it was enough to do some decent damage. Thankfully there were no photographs of the incident
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,077 Posts
I like this plane so much I bought a second one last year, still in the box. Still flying the first which has had a few epoxy and covering repairs-crushed motor box, LG ripped off, horizontal stab re-attached.

Here's the GWS floats just for snow flying.
TomM is offline Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TomM; Feb 11, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
109 Posts
As one plane crashes another gets its wings!

After licking my wounds from yesterday's light pole incident I figured I'd look on Craigslist for a replace Taylorcraft. As luck would have it I found a guy selling one who happened to live in my neighborhood. I got it for a song and couldn't be happier. I'll be back in the air soon. Can't wait as I really love this plane.