HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
The HK site does not state specifically but that probably means they are for glow engines. The weight of the props is not listed but looking at the shipping weight there is sure a difference. The Ultra-light props you use have a shipping weight of 30g (1.3 oz.) while the Type A Beech wood are list as 60g (2.1 oz.). I picked the Type A Beech wood because I liked the shape at the tip of the prop better. However, with the weight difference, I may have to reconsider. My TC is nose heavy as it is. I went down to 1300mAh LiPo and I move it back as far as I can in the stock battery bay but it is still a little more nose heavy than I would like. Changing the prop could help this.

Oops, maybe not. I have ordered and used the Ultra-light prop in the past and still have one in my tool box along with a Type A Beech wood prop. Both are 10x7 and both are already reemed to fit the E-Flite Park 480 shaft. Using my scales the Ultra-light weighs 17g (0.6 oz.) while the Type A Beech wood weighs 14g (0.5 oz.). Rather strange.

Tip shape difference shown below. The Ultra-Light is on top and the Type A Beech wood is on the bottom.
Yeah I know what you mean about the shape. Doesn't look very scale. Sure seem to work well though. I don't know anyone personally who's used the other Turnigy wood props, but I have had club members that used Zinger and other wood props that are definitely glow props and they were not as efficient as the ultra-light Turnigys. We're not trying to hover these things so I think you're fine using whatever you like the look of the best.

I wonder why you're so nose heavy. I used to run a 480 (currently run a Turnigy SK 35-30) and 3s 2200. I do run the battery pretty far back, but it works fine.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilit run? 353 View Post
Found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfPRIkv8Jc

Very funny but a little sad!
Not Warranty then
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Can anyone recommend a decent set of skis? I saw a set from Dubro at the hobbystore but they looked very cheap ( thin plastic). They looked way too brittle in the cold...
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
I had the Dubro ones in the past. They're ok, but I like the Morgan Mill ones better.

http://www.morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_002.htm for mains.
http://www.morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_028.htm on tail.

My plane (big pic): http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...2-IMG_2991.jpg

These are heavier plastic and a better mounting system than the Dubros.

-Jay
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
Most don't bother with tail ski. If you do consider a keel at the back or even better a graduated edge from nil at mid ski to 1/16" at tail for direction control & a bit of drag on Taxi
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
USA, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
Floats are what I use on snow and ice. Better in deep snow and you can land on water too
mr.x. is offline Find More Posts by mr.x.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
This beauty can do either skis or floats & there are scale land dollies for it. http://www.maxfordusa.com/hansabrandenburgw29.aspx
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Thanks for the reply CyberJay. I searched through this thread and saw you posted some pics of your TC with floats! :O Which set of floats were those? They look like the Eflite 25 size but those seem too big and heavy (28inches and 28oz)

Reason I ask about floats is because now I am thinking of going with floats instead of skis...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:14 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW View Post
Thanks for the reply CyberJay. I searched through this thread and saw you posted some pics of your TC with floats! :O Which set of floats were those? They look like the Eflite 25 size but those seem too big and heavy (28inches and 28oz)

Reason I ask about floats is because now I am thinking of going with floats instead of skis...
My floats came from planefunfloats.com They're the 27" ones I think. They come bare and you have to add polyurethane, fiberglass, epoxy, paint, and then fabricate landing gear. My TC is 2lbs without floats and 3lbs with floats. It is not very fun to fly with the floats on due to the weight. It can be done though. If I was really motivated I would lengthen the wings a little bit (un-clip them). That might help with the weight.

Do the skis. They're not expensive and they're lots of fun.

-Jay
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
USA, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
I put the super cub floats on cheap and less work. Covered them in a matching color scheme. Think they were 25 bucks?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:33 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
I've seen more than a couple people do the SC floats, so clearly they work. But if you do the math it says they're too small.

-Jay
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
USA, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
No problem floating on water and flying with a gopro in the housing attached.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
My concern with the skis are digging into and or getting caught in tracks/footprints...

Its too bad i have a set of the Eflite 25 size fiberglass floats
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:44 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW View Post
My concern with the skis are digging into and or getting caught in tracks/footprints...

Its too bad i have a set of the Eflite 25 size fiberglass floats
They can get caught in footprints from time to time. I hate when I nose over and have to walk out on the runway. The plus side is, when the snow gets deep ANYWHERE is your runway. You aren't limited to the short grass, hard ground, etc. Anywhere that's reasonably flat is good to go.

-Jay
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
I decided to go skis. I picked up the Dubro Snowbirds and used the springs on the landing gear instead of using the skis springs.

Here is a short vid I took

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jhNF...ta_player&hd=1