SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:38 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
LOL Sonny, I know the sentiments and fully understand. That being said, I took to buying 2 kits of the same bird, when I just happened to have that luxury in the past but don't anymore. The old working vs. being retired story. I still have a 25E size E-Flight Cub I've never flown because of the detail I put into it. Well over 100 hours in detaling, not counting the basic build. But one of these days...it's going to have to find some air just to make me happy.. even if I pile it in. Then I guess it'll be an aww WTH moment.

Dan
Sounds like a beauty Dan, post a photo if you get the chance. I grew up building and flying stick and tissue free flights which took literally weeks to construct, and there wasn't any such a thing as an "ARF"! When we crashed back then, we'd remove the hardware and just have ourselves a bonfire; something unheard of nowadays, but it was somehow healing in it's effect. With the advent of ARF's, it's just a matter of a few evenings work and you're airborne again. I do understand the economics of crashing though, and I can't afford to just crash 'em and replace 'em either, so I try my best to not crash 'em, (though I do miss those bonfires).

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:25 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
so I try my best to not crash 'em, (though I do miss those bonfires).

Sonny
We still do bonfires. And you're right, they're sweet, but silent tributes to all our work. It's like the passing of a loved one. That being said, MY TC RULES THE EARTH..HaH! All other non TC owners are just jealous. Sorry, I couldn't getting a plug in for the TC.

Speaking of which, I have the 20cc TC version from H9. Talk about a beauty. WOW! Even better is I have/own the very bird that was on the cover of RC SportFlyer magazine from August 2010. Tested/flown and reviewed. To many birds to fly, lousy weather and a late buy of it so it hasn't seen air on my side as of yet. But summer is fast approaching and..oh yea baby! Believe this, I'll be praying to the flying Gods for this maiden. Summer isn't even here and I'm already shaking with nerves. I'm used to piling 2 or 300 dollar birds in, but 1k+$ birds has my pucker factor up a little tight. I wonder if I can do with with my own advice and say so what or will I pucker out like a 6YO kid & start crying...I hope my wife lets me have my x-factors back for this. LOL

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:21 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
We still do bonfires. And you're right, they're sweet, but silent tributes to all our work. It's like the passing of a loved one. That being said, MY TC RULES THE EARTH..HaH! All other non TC owners are just jealous. Sorry, I couldn't getting a plug in for the TC.

Speaking of which, I have the 20cc TC version from H9. Talk about a beauty. WOW! Even better is I have/own the very bird that was on the cover of RC SportFlyer magazine from August 2010. Tested/flown and reviewed. To many birds to fly, lousy weather and a late buy of it so it hasn't seen air on my side as of yet. But summer is fast approaching and..oh yea baby! Believe this, I'll be praying to the flying Gods for this maiden. Summer isn't even here and I'm already shaking with nerves. I'm used to piling 2 or 300 dollar birds in, but 1k+$ birds has my pucker factor up a little tight. I wonder if I can do with with my own advice and say so what or will I pucker out like a 6YO kid & start crying...I hope my wife lets me have my x-factors back for this. LOL

Dan
Yes, the H9 Tcraft makes me want to get back into fuel, but most of their planes are gorgeous and well made. I fly with sailplane pilots flying $3K full house composite wonders, (which are basically very high-tech ARF's), and they break them all the time. They have become a sort of currency of their own, retaining a certain amount of their value and moving back and forth among pilots like cash. A lot of these guys have deep enough pockets to keep those marvelous mouldies flying, but I certainly can't keep up with them, (and don't really try). I'm flying 20 yr old full-house, and 30+ yr old vintage balsa & ply RES sailplanes and can barely afford those. The sport EP ARF's I fly are an affordable way for me to get out and fly when a winch isn't available, and are not so time-consuming as my hand-built sailplanes to replace if, (and when!!), I lose one. The Taylorcraft is evidence of my fondness for "scale" planes, and I enjoy looking at it as much or more than I will enjoy flying it, but if I lose it there's always another right down the road at the LHS that can be airborne in hours; ahh, the convenience of our modern world!

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:27 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,607 Posts
Quote:
The Taylorcraft is evidence of my fondness for "scale" planes, and I enjoy looking at it as much or more than I will enjoy flying it,
Sonny
Amen! Very well put.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:32 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 Posts
I always kept a foam spitfire to fly on windy days,good fun to fly and easy to fix in a smash,i would go out in winds sooooo bad ,,i took off one day and went down wind and spent 10 mins trying to bring it back to me it was i dot in the distance weaving left , right up and down,,when i got it back i smashed it into 3 pieces and took me 20 mins to glue and botch up lol,,,i dont enjoy flying the wind really so when it blows i just stick with the sim
Magic k2 is online now Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:46 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Yes, the H9 Tcraft makes me want to get back into fuel, but most of their planes are gorgeous and well made. I fly with sailplane pilots flying $3K full house composite wonders, (which are basically very high-tech ARF's), and they break them all the time. They have become a sort of currency of their own, retaining a certain amount of their value and moving back and forth among pilots like cash. A lot of these guys have deep enough pockets to keep those marvelous mouldies flying, but I certainly can't keep up with them, (and don't really try). I'm flying 20 yr old full-house, and 30+ yr old vintage balsa & ply RES sailplanes and can barely afford those. The sport EP ARF's I fly are an affordable way for me to get out and fly when a winch isn't available, and are not so time-consuming as my hand-built sailplanes to replace if, (and when!!), I lose one. The Taylorcraft is evidence of my fondness for "scale" planes, and I enjoy looking at it as much or more than I will enjoy flying it, but if I lose it there's always another right down the road at the LHS that can be airborne in hours; ahh, the convenience of our modern world!

Sonny
Fuel? Blasphemy!! That big H9 TC would do great as an electric.

I currently have a 1/4 scale Monocoupe that is fairly sporty in the air, maybe not quite as much as the TC, but close. I fly it with electric (10s 5000mah just over 2000 watts with a 19x10 prop!).

WHEN (not if) I ball it up there will be NO hesitation, the H9 TC will be it's replacement. The 1/4 scale birds are just way too big for my garage, so I can't have more than one at a time.

I think if you went with Hobby King and went fairly conservative on the specs you could get the TC in the air complete for right around $1000. You will naturally be a little more careful with it, not only because of the $$ but because of the size. Flying a plane that big is very different from one of the little park fliers.

I say do it, as your personal finances allow.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:38 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
Fuel? Blasphemy!! That big H9 TC would do great as an electric.

I currently have a 1/4 scale Monocoupe that is fairly sporty in the air, maybe not quite as much as the TC, but close. I fly it with electric (10s 5000mah just over 2000 watts with a 19x10 prop!).

WHEN (not if) I ball it up there will be NO hesitation, the H9 TC will be it's replacement. The 1/4 scale birds are just way too big for my garage, so I can't have more than one at a time.

I think if you went with Hobby King and went fairly conservative on the specs you could get the TC in the air complete for right around $1000. You will naturally be a little more careful with it, not only because of the $$ but because of the size. Flying a plane that big is very different from one of the little park fliers.

I say do it, as your personal finances allow.

-Jay
It must be soooo sweet on a low pass and on touching down at the end of the flight
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:39 PM
Weathers Good, Gotta Go Fly
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
Quote:

Sonny
Look at what I'm starting shortly, and look at what is going to power it.
Who needs wet power

Richard
Richard Stokes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Stokes
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:51 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
You suck! I'm amazingly jealous
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:51 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stokes View Post
Look at what I'm starting shortly, and look at what is going to power it.
Who needs wet power

Richard
Wow, you have had that for ages dude,you must have too many toys
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:45 AM
United States, NY, Highland
Joined Jan 2007
27 Posts
I just built this plane ( bought it because of good reports in this tread)and made 4 flights yesterday. The moment it took off, I could tell it was a great flying plane. I bought it to replace my beloved Mini Ultra Stick , which my 14 yo son auger-ed. So far I think its going to be a wonderful replacement, the main difference other than looks is you really have to use the rudder a bit more to turn it. I haven't done any aerobatics yet as my normal field is snowed in, but on a small school field where I I have to land on a small plowed parking lot its performed great, coming in over snow banks and touching down perfectly on the pavement.Its real easy to land. I am using a Power Up 480 Plus motor from Heads Up RC for $28 and it seems to have plenty of power. I have a pretty radical 3D plane and a GP Sopwith Camel but I wanted something stable for relaxed flying and also looking toward use of floats as I live a few hundred feet from a beautiful unused reservoir.
sal37 is offline Find More Posts by sal37
Last edited by sal37; Jan 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:27 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,764 Posts
Hadn't seen one fly in a while , but a F B is teaching his 9 yr old to fly on his old one .. The boy goes around and around in a very consistant pattern to the point where I told his Dad ," It's like watching a model train"
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:12 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
Ella and Taylor

Ella is doing the pre-flight check for me.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Very nice photo-is she using expo?
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:44 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009