Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:23 PM
Sherman, TX
Joined Aug 2003
342 Posts
Taylorcraft

I flew my Taylorcraft for the first time yesterday right at dusk. Flew great. Also turned down rates on elevator and ailerons. Wind was out of the East on a north to south runway, so I took off across the runway. Full power and then up elevator to fly. Awesome. Will go straight up. Great loops and a lot quicker rates on rolls and it flew beautifully.
Plane flys even better than I thought it would. A pilot standing beside me stated that the Taylorcraft looked really nice in the air. I will not be doing the 3D stuff, but I just wanted one to fly. thanks.....Joe
jed1d is offline Find More Posts by jed1d
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:24 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
The covering on my TC was loose too. It actually seemed to tighten itself up a bit but there's still room for improvement for sure.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:34 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,015 Posts
Introducing Taylorcraft 2011. Same specs as my old one pretty much. I went to some lighter extensions, I mounted the ESC a little better, etc. Minor stuff. Came out to 34oz, which is right where the last one was. 320 watts with a fresh battery, so it has plenty of power. Maiden should be tomorrow.

I got a set of these skis in the 12" version for my Toledo Special. I liked them so much that I got the 9" set for the Taylorcraft and have retired my Dubro skis. These are Morgan Mill RC "Grasslander" skis. They actually intend for you to use them on public park fields that are not mowed short enough for R/C airplanes to use. They seem much more durable than the Dubros. (But they are twice as expensive too).

Now I just need it to snow.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:46 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
Introducing Taylorcraft 2011. Same specs as my old one pretty much. I went to some lighter extensions, I mounted the ESC a little better, etc. Minor stuff. Came out to 34oz, which is right where the last one was. 320 watts with a fresh battery, so it has plenty of power. Maiden should be tomorrow.

I got a set of these skis in the 12" version for my Toledo Special. I liked them so much that I got the 9" set for the Taylorcraft and have retired my Dubro skis. These are Morgan Mill RC "Grasslander" skis. They actually intend for you to use them on public park fields that are not mowed short enough for R/C airplanes to use. They seem much more durable than the Dubros. (But they are twice as expensive too).

Now I just need it to snow.

-Jay
CyberJay, thank you very much for that information. I haven't been able to maiden my Tcraft due to the strong cross wind conditions on the road where I fly, it's not wide enough to take off from upwind and too cross to run down it. There is usually a 8-10mph sustained 90 degree cross wind at that location, and it's impossible to keep the Tcraft running straight down the road as the plane wants to turn into the wind....no matter how much rudder input I use, so a safe ROG isn't possible most days. I mostly fly belly landers there for that very reason, but I just had to have the EF Taylorcraft, (such a beauty!), and I'm anxious to maiden it. However, on either side of that road is tall wild grass which I didn't want to land in due to the wheel pants and skirts, and I think you just provided a solution to that dilemma. I'm sure that I can hand launch the plane easily, I'm using a 480 size motor w/ 12x6e prop so it's got the poop to fly with a toss, but landing with the stock gear in that tall grass was too risky, so I didn't try it. The more I look at those skis, the more I think they would do the job.
Great post Jay, your Tcraft looks great; I'll be wishing up a snow storm for you.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:55 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
CyberJay, thank you very much for that information. I haven't been able to maiden my Tcraft due to the strong cross wind conditions on the road where I fly, it's not wide enough to take off from upwind and too cross to run down it. There is usually a 8-10mph sustained 90 degree cross wind at that location, and it's impossible to keep the Tcraft running straight down the road as the plane wants to turn into the wind....no matter how much rudder input I use, so a safe ROG isn't possible most days. I mostly fly belly landers there for that very reason, but I just had to have the EF Taylorcraft, (such a beauty!), and I'm anxious to maiden it. However, on either side of that road is tall wild grass which I didn't want to land in due to the wheel pants and skirts, and I think you just provided a solution to that dilemma. I'm sure that I can hand launch the plane easily, I'm using a 480 size motor w/ 12x6e prop so it's got the poop to fly with a toss, but landing with the stock gear in that tall grass was too risky, so I didn't try it. The more I look at those skis, the more I think they would do the job.
Great post Jay, your Tcraft looks great; I'll be wishing up a snow storm for you.

Sonny
Let us know how they work on grass. They have a couple videos on their site and it seems like they work great. Don't even need to hand launch, seems like they ROG just fine.

I have a beautiful 550' x 75' maintained grass runway at our flying club, so even in a crosswind, the TC can take off across the runway no problem. The guys with the big gassers always groan when I tell them I'm going to use the "east-west" runway today..

http://morganmill.com/RC/ In case you haven't found that yet.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:32 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
Let us know how they work on grass. They have a couple videos on their site and it seems like they work great. Don't even need to hand launch, seems like they ROG just fine.

I have a beautiful 550' x 75' maintained grass runway at our flying club, so even in a crosswind, the TC can take off across the runway no problem. The guys with the big gassers always groan when I tell them I'm going to use the "east-west" runway today..

http://morganmill.com/RC/ In case you haven't found that yet.

-Jay
Already found it Jay, I'll be ordering a pair of the 9" main gear, and one of the 3" tail wheel skis very soon for my Taylorcraft 450. I also have an E-flite Piper Pawnee 15e I've tried to fly there with disastrous results due to the perpetual wicked cross winds on the road, (the wind rolled one wing right over immediately at lift off ending in an wing-over-wing tumble toasting the fuselage, but I have a spare fuse). With the larger 12" main gear skis I can possibly get that plane airborne out there once I finish minor repairs to the wings, and get the spare fuse ready. I didn't know these products were out there, and I appreciate your bringing it to my attention; it was a real epiphany moment for me when I saw your photo, thanks again! Good air, (or should I say "Good snow"??).

Sonny
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:49 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Quote:
I haven't been able to maiden my Tcraft due to the strong cross wind conditions on the road where I fly, it's not wide enough to take off from upwind and too cross to run down it. There is usually a 8-10mph sustained 90 degree cross wind at that location, and it's impossible to keep the Tcraft running straight down the road as the plane wants to turn into the wind...
Sonny
I understand the maiden aspects because I know I want my birds trimmed out in level & calm. That being said, don't be afraid to run the bird in the winds. You're pushing a 480, 12x6 and should have some extra power compared to my 450 with a 10x7. The bird will handle some winds. I'd guess 10~12mph max with your setup and it'll be interesting to say the least. I know my setup will handle around 7mph max and it's a hand full on landing with xwinds. But 2-3? years later it's still in 1 piece with no damage. No mixing.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:38 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
I understand the maiden aspects because I know I want my birds trimmed out in level & calm. That being said, don't be afraid to run the bird in the winds. You're pushing a 480, 12x6 and should have some extra power compared to my 450 with a 10x7. The bird will handle some winds. I'd guess 10~12mph max with your setup and it'll be interesting to say the least. I know my setup will handle around 7mph max and it's a hand full on landing with xwinds. But 2-3? years later it's still in 1 piece with no damage. No mixing.

Dan
I'm not afraid to fly it in the wind Dan, or to hand launch it, but to try and land it in a 10 mph cross wind on a 10' wide road just wasn't a good idea. Landing in the tall grass with the stock landing gear wasn't either. That's why I think these skis will be just the thing to deal with those conditions. That site is less than 1/4 mile from the ocean, so the cross winds are omnipresent. I've flown other ARF's with landing gear there and tore the gear off in the grass, but flying in the wind isn't the problem, it's always the landings that are the challenge. With these skis I can land upwind in the grass and not try a challenging cross wind landing on a narrow road. I've hand launched and flown a GP PBY Catalina out there numerous times, (leaving the wing floats off and belly landing it), so hand launching this Tcraft should be a snap. As soon as I get the skis I'll post a flight report and photos.

Sonny
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:26 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
I'm not afraid to fly it in the wind Dan, or to hand launch it, but to try and land it in a 10 mph cross wind on a 10' wide road just wasn't a good idea. Landing in the tall grass with the stock landing gear wasn't either. That's why I think these skis will be just the thing to deal with those conditions. That site is less than 1/4 mile from the ocean, so the cross winds are omnipresent. I've flown other ARF's with landing gear there and tore the gear off in the grass, but flying in the wind isn't the problem, it's always the landings that are the challenge. With these skis I can land upwind in the grass and not try a challenging cross wind landing on a narrow road. I've hand launched and flown a GP PBY Catalina out there numerous times, (leaving the wing floats off and belly landing it), so hand launching this Tcraft should be a snap. As soon as I get the skis I'll post a flight report and photos.

Sonny
The TC is not fun to fly in wind,,,its a pita to land in the wind also,,,dont break it dude.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
The TC is not fun to fly in wind,,,its a pita to land in the wind also,,,dont break it dude.
Judging by how it reacts on the ground to wind I would have to agree with you, keeping the nose from wanting to turn directly into the wing while taxiing was nearly impossible. However, having flown all types of EP arf's out there, I don't fear flying the wind as much anymore, but landings are nail biters. There is plenty of room to land on the grass which is tall enough to soften landings, it just tears up wheeled landing gear. Belly landing works really well, just head up wind, reduce power and let it settle in. I've even flown my GP Spad bipe out there in 12-15mph winds and it did fine as long as I kept it at altitude, especially on downwind turns. Again, landing was the real issue, and I tore the gear off of the Spad a few times; wish I had known about those "Grasslands Skis" earlier, it would have saved me several landing gear repairs.
I'll be careful flying the Tcraft out there, and will keep it for the less-windy days and fly my belly landers, (including edf's), on the windier days.

Sonny
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:23 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Ironically enough, I was forced into xwind TO's/landings at our field. Granted, we have a 30' wide paved runway, but if I was going to fly the TC, I had to adapt or not fly it. Because I'm only marginally powered, I stay under 7mph but sometimes the wind picks up and..if I'm already in the air, I need to fight it down. While it's nerve racking for me, I've managed to keep the bird in 1 piece. with no damage except for scuffed wingtips. I have to admit, it's made me a better pilot. Strangely enough, I'm kind of liking the winds. It helps me keep up on my skills and forces my brain to think instead of react.

I'm past the panic/worry stages and forced myself to adapt. It was a comment from an old timer that changed my perspective and gave me boost. He said, 'It's not if you're going to crash, it's when you crash." My crash rate dropped after that realization. It probably sounds stupid but it worked for me.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
Ironically enough, I was forced into xwind TO's/landings at our field. Granted, we have a 30' wide paved runway, but if I was going to fly the TC, I had to adapt or not fly it. Because I'm only marginally powered, I stay under 7mph but sometimes the wind picks up and..if I'm already in the air, I need to fight it down. While it's nerve racking for me, I've managed to keep the bird in 1 piece. with no damage except for scuffed wingtips. I have to admit, it's made me a better pilot. Strangely enough, I'm kind of liking the winds. It helps me keep up on my skills and forces my brain to think instead of react.

I'm past the panic/worry stages and forced myself to adapt. It was a comment from an old timer that changed my perspective and gave me boost. He said, 'It's not if you're going to crash, it's when you crash." My crash rate dropped after that realization. It probably sounds stupid but it worked for me.

Dan
That should be every RC pilots point of view, otherwise it would never be any fun! It is hard however, to see a plane you've agonized over sometimes for hundreds of hours end up as a pile of sticks, but like you said, it can make you a better pilot. I have little choice of flying sites, so I had to adapt to what was available. If I waited for the wind to calm down I would never get any stick time at all, so I resolved to fly in the wind as best I can and accept a loss or two along the way. Besides, what a better excuse for a new project than the loss of an old one.

Sonny
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:41 PM
USA, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
That should be every RC pilots point of view, otherwise it would never be any fun! It is hard however, to see a plane you've agonized over sometimes for hundreds of hours end up as a pile of sticks, but like you said, it can make you a better pilot. I have little choice of flying sites, so I had to adapt to what was available. If I waited for the wind to calm down I would never get any stick time at all, so I resolved to fly in the wind as best I can and accept a loss or two along the way. Besides, what a better excuse for a new project than the loss of an old one.

Sonny
I have had a few bad landings with mine but the worst that has happened is ripped the landing gear off. Now it is a solid block via gorilla glue. I also had to get the cream and red ultracotes to make the floats and if i ever have a bad crash i will be back up in no time.
mr.x. is offline Find More Posts by mr.x.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x. View Post
I have had a few bad landings with mine but the worst that has happened is ripped the landing gear off. Now it is a solid block via gorilla glue. I also had to get the cream and red ultracotes to make the floats and if i ever have a bad crash i will be back up in no time.
I had read several posts about the landing gear being a weak spot, so I reinforced the mount inside the fuse with extra plywood and epoxy when I assembled mine just in case. I expect also that it won't like wind too much, but if I keep it hangered just because of the wind, I'll never get to fly it. The wind seldom ever stops here, so I'll have to learn to fly it in 8-10mph wind or not fly it at all. The skis mentioned above will make that more possible, or at least more survivable. One thing I know is flying in the wind isn't so hard, especially when flying upwind, but take offs and landings definitely are harder in the wind. Having a sea of tall grass, and a set of skis meant to handle that grass will definitely make windy day flying more possible. If it gets above 10-12mph I probably won't even try to fly the Tcraft, but below that is pretty much "prevailing" around here, so crash or fly I'm gonna give it a go!

Sonny
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:14 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Quote:
It is hard however, to see a plane you've agonized over sometimes for hundreds of hours end up as a pile of sticks, but like you said, it can make you a better pilot. Besides, what a better excuse for a new project than the loss of an old one.

Sonny
LOL Sonny, I know the sentiments and fully understand. That being said, I took to buying 2 kits of the same bird, when I just happened to have that luxury in the past but don't anymore. The old working vs. being retired story. I still have a 25E size E-Flight Cub I've never flown because of the detail I put into it. Well over 100 hours in detaling, not counting the basic build. But one of these days...it's going to have to find some air just to make me happy.. even if I pile it in. Then I guess it'll be an aww WTH moment.

BTW: Our flying field winds here are around 22mph and has been for the past 4 days at 450ASL. Hit the one & only mountain we have here (Rattlesnake 3500ASL) & the winds are 60+ mph. It's the highest mountain in the USA with no trees on it. We're about 4 or 5 miles from it on the downwind side. ARRGGGHHHHH!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by deckert; Jan 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Winds