HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:32 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
I set my timer at 10 minutes but use about 800mah. Prop is actually an APCe slow flyer as the thicker prop doesn't fit.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:52 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,530 Posts
Thanks DavidN, that answers my question perfectly!
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:26 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
knife edges

Hey guys I've got a question here.

So help me out with knife edges with this plane. This is the only plane that I have that actually wants to climb in a knife edge. Is this the most effective rudder in the world. My other planes, Pulse 40 and Revolver, have the usual knife edge issues of coupling but neither actually climb in a knife edge.

Am I using too much rudder or is there another trick?

thankya!
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:59 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
Too much rudder for speed
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:54 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Too much rudder for speed
Spot on, either fly slower with same amount of rudder, or fly fast with less rudder.
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:56 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post

So what kind of flight times? I would be happy with 10-12min. I am looking for scale flight here, not aerobatics.
Really? This plane does large graceful loops and long slow rolls oh so well. Free the tiger mate!
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:08 AM
USA, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvr1ck View Post
Really? This plane does large graceful loops and long slow rolls oh so well. Free the tiger mate!
I have floats on mine now with an eflite 480 and still doing acrobatics
mr.x. is offline Find More Posts by mr.x.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:55 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,530 Posts
Well let me re-phrase that...

I like scale flight, but I will do some aerobatics from time to time. The motor I will be using will produce ~200W and 36oz thrust. Perhaps not enough for unlimited vertical but enough to have some fun.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:00 AM
USA, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
Well let me re-phrase that...

I like scale flight, but I will do some aerobatics from time to time. The motor I will be using will produce ~200W and 36oz thrust. Perhaps not enough for unlimited vertical but enough to have some fun.

I had an exceed rc 450 in mine for a while and it flew forever. I think it was about the same specs. I put in the 480 to do the floats and it pulls a ton more watts
mr.x. is offline Find More Posts by mr.x.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:57 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvr1ck View Post
Spot on, either fly slower with same amount of rudder, or fly fast with less rudder.
Great. Thanks for the input. I've never had an issue of too much rudder for speed before!!!
Old Jan 06, 2011, 04:44 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Yeah mine went into a hover the first time I tried to knife edge :-)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:35 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillard View Post
Great. Thanks for the input. I've never had an issue of too much rudder for speed before!!!
You could set the rudder % on dual rates to be close to what you need.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 02:48 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Yeah mine went into a hover the first time I tried to knife edge :-)
Well I did some experimenting this afternoon (in 24 degree weather) and ended up reducing the rudder throw to 55% of the recommended high rate movement. I also mixed a little down elevator to the rudder as well because my TC likes to couple towards the canopy in the knife edge. Wow what a difference this makes. This thing does a sweet knife edge now. I have to start playing with mixing out the coupling on my other planes. I never messed with mixing before and I really like what it does.

I keep the mix on all the time as I don't use the rudder unless I'm doing stunts.

Anyway this little plane is sweet flyer for sure!!!
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:43 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Yeah, I went out yesterday and it was 13 degrees but calm... but my neighbor wanted me to maiden his new plane and by the time we were done messing with his, I was too cold to fly mine! Thanks for the numbers. I will probably reduce my throw as well and I remember mine coupling too but can't remember which direction. I usually don't mess with mixing either but if it makes a nice scale plane fly even easier, I don't mind a little mixing. I will probably do the same. Right now it is snowing pretty hard. We are supposed to have up to 12 inches by Tuesday. I probably won't fly my TC with that much snow only because I don't have another set of skis but I will be flying some of my other planes for sure :-)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:09 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,050 Posts
I've flown my old TC quite a bit with the Dubro Parkflier skis.. Works fine. I think they may be a little small for it though. I just ordered some Morgan Mill RC 9" main skis and 3" tail ski for my new TC. Those mains are almost 2" longer than the Dubros. And I've never had a tail ski before, just let the tail fall in the snow.

Of course in Arkansas we're lucky if we get 3 snowfalls a year. So I'm chomping at the bit to get out there when we get some snow.

New TC is coming together nicely. The HS-55 that was working fine on the old TC seems to have taken a dump on the new one. So I'm going to replace it with another HS-56HB (which is what I have on the rudder) and then I'm ready for my maiden.

My new TC seems to be pretty nice. Only real "complaint" is that the covering was completely loose. I don't mean a few wrinkles, I mean completely loose. It's like someone put the covering on, sealed the edges and then shipped it. Not a big deal to run over it with the heat gun, and as I said there were no other issues.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay