HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
CyberJay's Avatar
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
i changed the cowl on mine as it was looking rough,its one of those planes that just have to be kept nice,its vintage really need some new wheel pants too.
Mine is two and half years old. I don't track exact numbers of flights but I would be willing to bet it was close to 1000, if not over. The TC routinely made 4-6 flights each time I've been to the field over the time I've owned it.

I crashed it badly once, and landed it in the tall grass a few other times. I built a new firewall and battery tray for it about a year ago. I'm on my 2nd cowl, 3rd windshield, 3rd or 4th set of landing gear. I've recovered parts of the fuse and parts of the wing. Plus just the normal wear and tear from being handled that much. It was really looking old.

I'm so excited to see shiny and new. My original had a twisted wing I had to fix. I've got my fingers crossed that the new one will be straight as an arrow.

-Jay
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:48 PM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
Mine is two and half years old. I don't track exact numbers of flights but I would be willing to bet it was close to 1000, if not over. The TC routinely made 4-6 flights each time I've been to the field over the time I've owned it.

I crashed it badly once, and landed it in the tall grass a few other times. I built a new firewall and battery tray for it about a year ago. I'm on my 2nd cowl, 3rd windshield, 3rd or 4th set of landing gear. I've recovered parts of the fuse and parts of the wing. Plus just the normal wear and tear from being handled that much. It was really looking old.

I'm so excited to see shiny and new. My original had a twisted wing I had to fix. I've got my fingers crossed that the new one will be straight as an arrow.

-Jay
Your a rough bugger jay,think you should send me that new TC to look after for you,i keep it like almost new with a few flights to keep the dust down and keep it air worthy and such No hanger charge as its a clasic
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:42 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
well fellas. My TC is now complete and ready to fly. Well, I haven't attached the struts yet because I want to reinforce the landing gear a bit first. I need to find the pictures of what you guys have done to the gear. Also, I could not for the life of me put the (not sure what they are called... not wheel pants but the covered balsa things above the pants) screws to go through the gear legs so I just left them off.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:18 PM
Plowin Dirt
deckert's Avatar
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
.. really need some new wheel pants too.
Magic, here's the deal, you pay for shipping and I'll send you an opened, never mounted set of pants for no charge. Just drop me a PM with the info I need to get them to you if you're interested. I'm located in the USA 99320 USPS zip code. Probably around 5~7 bucks US dollars and I accept PP.

Ty, mount your LG fairing with one screw. (either hole but hopefully the same on each side) Then mark the LG fairing from the backside with a small needle thru the 2nd LG hole. Remove the fairings & drill a new hole. CA the new hole on the backside! with a SMALL AMOUNT of CA. Let dry. Now you should be able to mount the fairing with no blemishes on the front and the mounting screw should cover the existing hole. 99% effective. I highly suggest using the Dubro #175SL wheels for starters. They don't fit the wheel pants but they do reduce the bounce factor and wear WAY better then the kit wheels on asphalt. You'll need some longer bolts to use these. I use allen head bolts with a nylock nut on the inside of the LG and a standard nut (ca'd) next to the wheel.

Like CyberJay, I have a TON of flights on my TC and it's just a great bird to fly. I only run a a 450 size motor with a 2100/lipo because I fly scale. Touch and go's are a thing of beauty and a regular routine for me. I'm at the point I can run the bird down 200' of paved runway with the tail up and still hold centerline. Even at that, I still miss approaches and bounce it, what can I say.

Don't set your throws up to max to start with and dial in some expo if your TX will do it. On my DX7, I run 70% expo on Elev, 42% on Ail, and 60% on Rud. and no mixing. Unk on actual throws with out measuring the bird. It's pretty tame but it flies great/scale and isn't over-controlled. I'm not telling you what to do but I sure don't want you to kill this beauty at the get-go and be unhappy considering all the effort you've put into this. Hoping all goes well for your maiden.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:03 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Thanks Dan. I really appreciate all of the info. I was thinking about replacing the wheels with something that I have laying around here. I almost never use stock wheels anymore. Have you ever used "reals" ??? Awesome. Every time I go to order more I can't remember where I got them and I can never find them in a search either... I am looking right now and can't find them once again :-(
Edit:
found them but it doesn't look like anyone makes them anymore...
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/2_wheels_pair_1012_prd1.htm
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Last edited by ty_horn; Dec 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:17 AM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
Magic, here's the deal, you pay for shipping and I'll send you an opened, never mounted set of pants for no charge. Just drop me a PM with the info I need to get them to you if you're interested. I'm located in the USA 99320 USPS zip code. Probably around 5~7 bucks US dollars and I accept PP.

Ty, mount your LG fairing with one screw. (either hole but hopefully the same on each side) Then mark the LG fairing from the backside with a small needle thru the 2nd LG hole. Remove the fairings & drill a new hole. CA the new hole on the backside! with a SMALL AMOUNT of CA. Let dry. Now you should be able to mount the fairing with no blemishes on the front and the mounting screw should cover the existing hole. 99% effective. I highly suggest using the Dubro #175SL wheels for starters. They don't fit the wheel pants but they do reduce the bounce factor and wear WAY better then the kit wheels on asphalt. You'll need some longer bolts to use these. I use allen head bolts with a nylock nut on the inside of the LG and a standard nut (ca'd) next to the wheel.

Like CyberJay, I have a TON of flights on my TC and it's just a great bird to fly. I only run a a 450 size motor with a 2100/lipo because I fly scale. Touch and go's are a thing of beauty and a regular routine for me. I'm at the point I can run the bird down 200' of paved runway with the tail up and still hold centerline. Even at that, I still miss approaches and bounce it, what can I say.

Don't set your throws up to max to start with and dial in some expo if your TX will do it. On my DX7, I run 70% expo on Elev, 42% on Ail, and 60% on Rud. and no mixing. Unk on actual throws with out measuring the bird. It's pretty tame but it flies great/scale and isn't over-controlled. I'm not telling you what to do but I sure don't want you to kill this beauty at the get-go and be unhappy considering all the effort you've put into this. Hoping all goes well for your maiden.

Dan
Pm on its way dude Thank you very much.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:28 AM
Registered User
philipa_240sx's Avatar
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Have you ever used "reals" ??? Awesome. Every time I go to order more I can't remember where I got them and I can never find them in a search either... I am looking right now and can't find them once again :-(
Why not use real pneumatic tires...Trexler's:

http://www.trexlerballoonwheel.com/

bob_suruncle uses them his TC and knows the best size. Try PM'ing him.
philipa_240sx is online now Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:35 AM
Plowin Dirt
deckert's Avatar
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,547 Posts
Ty, here's my throws.
Aileron-7/16 up-3/8 down
Elevator-7/8 up/down
Rudder-7/8 left/right
Like I said, it flies scale. Run these throws with the expo I used and you should have a nice gentle maiden. Those wheels you're looking at are almost identical to the Dubros I suggested. Different compound.

Ease into the power, don't hammer it, let the tail lift off, it should come up by itself, then apply more power and apply elevator. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:50 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
thanks guys. We aren't supposed to have any calm weather here for several days so I my TC will be hanging from the ceiling for now :-)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:08 PM
Registered User
philipa_240sx's Avatar
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,510 Posts
Well, my TC build has started. Assembly is almost done save for the motor, wing struts, and a few details.

Too bad the weather has been cold, snowy and windy. The maiden will have till wait until spring.
philipa_240sx is online now Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Dec 31, 2010 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2011, 05:35 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
well fellas...
4 degrees F and a half inch of snow on the ground. Perfect for the TC maiden! What a beautiful flier. It honestly flies like the 72in j3 cub (nitro) that I build for my Dad last year. Awesome. I may have to mess with the CG though. I don't know where it is at this point but I had to pull down on the stick quite a bit to keep the nose up and I had a hard time in knife edge but for the maiden flight. I was very very impressed! Thanks for all of you help...
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2011, 05:53 PM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
well fellas...
4 degrees F and a half inch of snow on the ground. Perfect for the TC maiden! What a beautiful flier. It honestly flies like the 72in j3 cub (nitro) that I build for my Dad last year. Awesome. I may have to mess with the CG though. I don't know where it is at this point but I had to pull down on the stick quite a bit to keep the nose up and I had a hard time in knife edge but for the maiden flight. I was very very impressed! Thanks for all of you help...
Glad to hear all went well for you dude,yep ,what a plane,looks great on the shelf in the winter and it behaves so well in the air,just point and squirt,just use a touch of gas on landing to keep the prop spinning as it lands very steady like this with no bounce welcome to the happy club
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:11 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
yeah I had to perfect landings where she rolled right up to my feet. No bounce. It was so cold though that on the 2nd landing the farrings popped off because I just had them hot glued on for the time being :-)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:56 PM
Registered User
philipa_240sx's Avatar
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
It was so cold though that on the 2nd landing the farrings popped off because I just had them hot glued on for the time being :-)
Yeah, what is it with the LG struts? The small balsa 'LG covers' are supposed to be held on with machine screws, but the holes were not threaded. After some fiddling, I gave up and got some longer bolts and nuts.

Anyway, I just need to finish the interior while I wait for my motor. Looks like the Infinite 2213-1190 motor I chose will end up somewhere between the Park 450 and the 480 power wise.
philipa_240sx is online now Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2011, 07:03 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Yeah, I am not sure what the deal is with the gear... I would like to put them on though. I might have to go get some screws as well. The other weird thing about mine was the plate that goes on top of the wing (screws go through it) wasn't drilled right and the holes were about 1/4 forward of where they were supposed to be. That was an easy fix but kind of annoying. I do think I would like some softer wheels fairly soon. Mine landed great on just a little bit of snow but I can see how landing time after time on a hard street will take a toll on things. Wheels that absorb a little will help a lot. Even on the tail. That hard plastic wheel puts a lot of stress on the rudder when it smacks the ground :-) I really love this plane so far. I got a real good feeling on the one battery that I ran through it. Oh, I maidened it with a GWS 10x6DD on my park 480 but I am waiting for a 10x7 wood prop from hobbycity. Should have a real nice sound to it.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E flite Taylorcraft for 450 or 480 P-51C Scale ARF/RTF 23 May 23, 2009 05:11 AM
Discussion E-Flite park 450 outrunner, 980kV - suggested plane(s) or kits? dougaustin Power Systems 4 Jul 01, 2006 02:49 AM
Wanted E-Flite Park 450 Outrunner Twmaster Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Jun 17, 2006 11:41 AM
For Sale E-Flite Park 450 outrunner motor(3 days old) wilsonbueno Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Mar 01, 2006 10:10 PM
Question E-flite Park 450 vs Hacker A20-20L Jimmy Hoffa Power Systems 2 Dec 19, 2005 02:29 PM