HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:39 PM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
Do you think with throttle managment, a Extreme Flight 2818/900 would be too much motor to fly this aircraft?
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:56 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141
Unfortunately later in the day the other Taylorcraft(with the 480 motor) spiraled in from about 25 feet.

We expected total destruction. We were very surprised to find it only suffered a dislodged motor mount, broken prop and crushed cowl! Nothing else was damaged. This is one tough bird!
First, sorry to learn of the 480 BL version going in....

Second, thanks so much for that report....it seems to me that the design is not only light but, very robust.

Any idea why it went in?

Thanks a bunch!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:56 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,932 Posts
smbc,
Quote:
With a 13x6.5 APCE or 13x7 XOAR wood prop, the 2818 is compatible with 3S 2000-2500 20C lipolies, such as the Thunder Power 3S 2070 Extreme, and produces 360-400 Watts. At high altitudes (above 4000 ft.ASL), a 14x7 may be substituted due to lower amp draw in thin air conditions.
I have that motor in my EBT. That is an awful big motor for this plane. Specs above from the 3D Hobby Shop Web Site. The size props they are quoting will be far too large for the T-Craft.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:32 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
It went in due to pilot error, but an easy mistake to make and difficult to detect. He was doing a wingover in the overhead break and throttling up at the same time. The airplane was slow at the time and the wind died off just as he banked. Plus he was rolling into the direction of the propellor torque which caused it to end up with its nose pointing down and accelerating into a spiral. The extra power of the 480 was a liability. It was a classic case of the most common cause of crashing in civil aviation. Too slow, too low, too much power and turning the wrong way without sufficient airflow over the wings...stall, spin, crash and burn!

It happened really fast! If there had been time to back off the throttle it might have been able to pull out of it. But you would had to have had a lightning reflex and recognized what was happening before it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
First, sorry to learn of the 480 BL version going in....

Second, thanks so much for that report....it seems to me that the design is not only light but, very robust.

Any idea why it went in?

Thanks a bunch!
Carlos
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:37 PM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
smbc,

I have that motor in my EBT. That is an awful big motor for this plane. Specs above from the 3D Hobby Shop Web Site. The size props they are quoting will be far too large for the T-Craft.
Gary
Thanks, looks like a 480 for me.
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:42 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Johnm....

Thanks for your reply and details of the T-Craft (480 BL Powered) crashed.

Carlos
Old Nov 26, 2007, 07:27 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,881 Posts
Build and First Sorties

Finished up the T-Craft with a couple of sorties this evening (only about 4 hours on the build). To say this is a quality kit is an understatement. Mine was perfect from the start. No extra holes drilled, everything fit like it was supposed to. Strayed on the motor and used a HXTC3530B in place of the 450 (been laying around for a year or so) with a Masters Airscrew 9/5 prop. ESC was a 25 amp E-Flight I won at BEST a couple of years ago. Radio was a DX-7 with 4 S-75 servos. Batteries were a couple of 3/1500 lipos, going larger tomorrow afternoon if my order comes in from Common Sense). Weight came in at about 28 ounces and the whole package works perfectly. This is as good an ARF as I have ever seen or flew. It flies beautifully and the takeoffs and landings were no problem at our grass field tonight. Perfect 3 points each time. Could not taxi though but I did not have to walk far as I put it directly in front of me both times. This little jewel is a keeper. She will hold a place of honor in my den for a long time. I'll leave off the pictures as the ones shown previously says it all.

Folks, I've flown RC since the late fifties and honestly it doesn't get any better than this. Now to get to work on the Senior Falcon for my next project. A electric E Flight 46 and I'll have a little piece of history hanging in the shop as well.
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Nov 26, 2007, 07:36 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
An electric Goldberg Sr. Falcon?
Eventhough I'm new to them I love the classics.
Nice report.

cheers
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:10 AM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
897 Posts
Early Christmas present for me. Now I gotta save up for the electronics. I peeked in the box. Sure looks like a nice plane.

planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old Nov 27, 2007, 04:45 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Are you absolutely sure it's not occupied.
Yes I am. Would you like me to take some pics the next time I am there?

ETA: Photos
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Last edited by Dora Nine; Nov 27, 2007 at 05:20 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 06:03 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Yes I am. Would you like me to take some pics the next time I am there?

ETA: Photos
I give you one GOLD STAR and a Jelly Bean for being very creative with flying your RC model no matter where and what!

The place gives me the Creaps

It looks like a very wide and spacious place but, nope it is NOT for me.....too creppy for me!
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:26 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
Dora Nine, do your planes ever just stop flying like someone or something snatched them out of the sky? I am with Gman on this one as I don't think I could fly there either, too busy looking over my shoulder for the boogeyman.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:40 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,060 Posts
I didn't mean occupied by things you can see, I meant occupied by things you can't see.. Actually, I use to sope soar from a cemetery in NY. Best spot in town so what the heck. Calle my LHS yesterday and asked if they had the new TCraft in stock from Horizon. There answer was "what is a TCraft" followed by a big NO. Called Noell's in Wildwood Florida and they sold off their first batch but were expecting more on Wed. He even took my number and will call me when they come in. Now that's a hobby shop. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:12 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Woohoo!

The wife allowed me to order my Taylorcraft and a 480 for my Christmas present. I'm a Taylorcraft junkie as I have Hal deBolt's Midwest T-Craft and a laser cut short kit of the Comet Taylorcraft awaiting to be built.
Funny thing is that the Eflite can be assembled for less money than my two kits. While I would have preferred a Duane Cole color scheme, the kit's color scheme ain't bad.
It sure is going to be tough waiting on Christmas to come. I feel like I did when I was a kid awaiting Christmas. That's a pretty good endorsement for the Taylorcraft!

I sure hope that each and everyone of my Ezone family has a safe and a Merry Christmas!

Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:31 AM
Palmetto GA
Joined Apr 2007
112 Posts
Well this is the one I've been waiting on for a few months now. I walked into MRS hobby here in Sandy and found it sitting next to the new Eflight T-6 Texan "Platinum Series"! But My mind was made up and I walked out with the Taylorcarft.

I've just recently gotten back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus. I've plans built many models with my dad growing up and built a few kits here and there (my first was a Telemaster .40), but this is my first laser cut wood ARF kit and all I can say is WOW

The quality is something that I MIGHT be able to pull off but would take me many months and at least a few hundred dollars in materials. I just don't know how these folks put this together, package it this well, and do it all for at the $110 price point. I'm just speechless.

On Discovery/Science channel they have a series called "How its Made". Some of you have probably seen it. It films the assembely of many common everday things that make their way into our houses and lives. I think a great idea would be for Horizon/Eflight to invite the flim crew to take a look at what goes into building these beautiful models.

Anyways, heres some pics. I'm thinking of a Supo Motor/speed control combo form Lightflight RC? Any suggestions on which size would pull this bird around as well as a EF 480?
mcknight is offline Find More Posts by mcknight