HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:12 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
[QUOTE=iRun4Love;14066656]Oh fer Pete's sake! GRRRR. Made the mistake of re-covering the top of the wings all red, and then flew in cloudy skies and didn't get aquainted with which end is now "up" on my TC.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH man i wanna slap you,i should give you a slap on your face every time you do that,,,a sort of pain aversion therapy,after 3 or four crashes and 3 or four slaps you will start to re-adjust your thought patterns and flying style and your landing technique,,,,it does work , wocha think? i can help you Magic
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:49 PM
Love seeks nothing in return.
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
Frankly I think my TC was envious of a new pair of duds.

So now she'll get a complete makeover, a clip of the wings, and who knows what else. That will be tomorrow's starting project.
iRun4Love is offline Find More Posts by iRun4Love
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:05 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun4Love View Post
Frankly I think my TC was envious of a new pair of duds.

So now she'll get a complete makeover, a clip of the wings, and who knows what else. That will be tomorrow's starting project.
Ok,but if you change your mind ill sort you out What about some nice LED markers on there so it will look more real and also see better ,i have seen one of the cb100 guys doing it and its tops.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:29 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
Hey guys I have been just dying to fly and today I woke up to totally dead calm and 55 degrees...

I told myself I need to get my mind off the tragic earthquake that has happened and all the carnage that has been shown on the news... It's sad that so often the poorest get nailed the hardest and our donating to charities seems so little and futile... Sorry this isn't the place for this...

Anyway I took my Taylorcraft off the wall and walked across the street and had a simply beautiful flight putting her through all her paces...

Dang this plane drives me crazy as I have never had a plane fly this beautiful and predictable... Seriously I tried to fly so slow at times and on high rates nail the throttle and give her full rudder and or aileron trying to snap her into a spin or out of control and she simply won't do it... She falls out flat and in perfect control no matter what I try to do to her... She 3D's very well and the crazy thing will hover like crazy with the 480... I quit counting flights at about the 50 mark last fall and I still have the very first original wood Top-Flite 11x6 Power-Point prop I put on her last Spring... I told my wife if this thing crashed somehow I really would replace it as they just don't get any better...

Batteries on charge and I'm heading back across the street... These calm and warm winter days are few and between...

happy week to all...
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
Pictures from Today's Repairs

Engine mount and firewall drying (heh - like my screw count?)

Fuselage stripped and drying (there were a lot of fractures in the fuselage that weren't apparent until I removed the ultracote).

Stripped the wings before the end of the day, and clipped them where I wanted them (removed the curved segment of the wing tips). Looks good - needs some reinforcement in the wings (carbon rods I think) along with an adjustment on the location of the supports.

Wing photos next time!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:33 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun4Love View Post
Pictures from Today's Repairs

Engine mount and firewall drying (heh - like my screw count?)

Fuselage stripped and drying (there were a lot of fractures in the fuselage that weren't apparent until I removed the ultracote).

Stripped the wings before the end of the day, and clipped them where I wanted them (removed the curved segment of the wing tips). Looks good - needs some reinforcement in the wings (carbon rods I think) along with an adjustment on the location of the supports.

Wing photos next time!
Well,its gotta be said,your a trooper No matter what,,your never say die attitude is tops,unlike your landing technique lol,did you think about a black with cream stripes? thats a nice combination that isnt seen very often,very old school,you might wanna put some tooth picks in the spine also ,it is very week and bendy if you try to pick her up from the top behind the wing ,some tooth pics placed > like that in a vee shape will be much stronger,its good to see you doing so well with the rebuild,and thanks for posting the pics as i never tire of this plane ,its tops.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:36 AM
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Well,its gotta be said,your a trooper No matter what,,your never say die attitude is tops,unlike your landing technique lol
LOL - Is there any other attitude to have in this hobby? We spend too much money on these birds to let something like a little ground strike stop us. Like my friend said the other day, I might want to consider naming this plane "Yard Sale" - 'cause my landing photos always look like one.

Quote:
did you think about a black with cream stripes? thats a nice combination that isnt seen very often,very old school
Never crossed my mind, and the True Red monokote is already bought and in the back of my car, along with a new iron to apply it properly. This is roughly what I'm aiming for... (hand edited in mspaint for rough estimation)

Quote:
...you might wanna put some tooth picks in the spine also ,it is very week and bendy if you try to pick her up from the top behind the wing ,some tooth pics placed > like that in a vee shape will be much stronger,its good to see you doing so well with the rebuild,and thanks for posting the pics as i never tire of this plane ,its tops.
Thanks - I'll remember that toothpick tip when I get back to it. Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:21 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,605 Posts
Wrong Approach

I found the secret to crashes and not losing another plane.
1. You have to have at least one major crash that requires a rebuild in some manner. (Usually requiring some balsa.)
2. You buy a second kit and/or major parts from someone here at RCG. (Ie: A wing/fuselage, etc.)
3. You leave the parts/second kit alone and repair the crashed bird.
4. You fly the repaired version but don't build or replace any parts with the new stuff you bought.
5. The stupid repaired version just flies and flies...and you have a box of stuff you don't need because everything is working great.
6. Someplace along the line, (30~100 flights later) you pile it in and decide
what-the-hey, I've got a new one and you get to start over.

I'm on my 2nd TC due to a light-pole migration. Kinda like the Caribu in Alaska. A couple of crashes here & there (lite) and a 2nd kit in the closet but never needing to drag the NIB kit out. Yea I know it sounds stupid but it's worked for me for 3 birds now. Go figure... and just LMAO everytime I run my TC up.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:27 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
I found the secret to crashes and not losing another plane.
1. You have to have at least one major crash that requires a rebuild in some manner. (Usually requiring some balsa.)
2. You buy a second kit and/or major parts from someone here at RCG. (Ie: A wing/fuselage, etc.)
3. You leave the parts/second kit alone and repair the crashed bird.
4. You fly the repaired version but don't build or replace any parts with the new stuff you bought.
5. The stupid repaired version just flies and flies...and you have a box of stuff you don't need because everything is working great.
6. Someplace along the line, (30~100 flights later) you pile it in and decide
what-the-hey, I've got a new one and you get to start over.

I'm on my 2nd TC due to a light-pole migration. Kinda like the Caribu in Alaska. A couple of crashes here & there (lite) and a 2nd kit in the closet but never needing to drag the NIB kit out. Yea I know it sounds stupid but it's worked for me for 3 birds now. Go figure... and just LMAO everytime I run my TC up.

Dan
Now what's the psychology of that? You are more comfortable flying your original TC because you know you have a spare. So you don't dumb thumb or get brain lock when you have an "Oh ****!" moment because you're not really worried if it crashes. And because of that you don't crash. At least that's my theory.

My old T-28 has been around a long time, and taught me a lot. AND since it's beat-up old foam it has no real sentimental value to me. I get away with some really silly stuff with it, and I really think it's because I don't really care if it crashes or not.

Interesting stuff.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:22 PM
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
For me, I found that tackling the first TC crash (with all your great support and encouragement), made me realize that repairs are often possible, and rewarding. There's something to say about flying a plane that you did serious reconstruction on - because it's still airworthy and YOU built/re-built it.

This second crash/repair wasn't anywhere near as bad as the first - but I'm choosing to take more time with it and strengthen known weak areas and completely recover/recolour it - which will make it a bigger job than the first.

PLUS - it gives me "plane stuff" to do on rainy days!

Of course, "Murphy" being awake today, is giving me a sunny day to torment me, and I'm sick in bed and can't rebuild either.

Maybe I'll christen the plane "Mr. Murphy's Yard Sale" ...
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Pretty funny, that last comment!

It's solid fog due South of you-even if I wanted to go, I can't!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:01 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
Now what's the psychology of that? You are more comfortable flying your original TC because you know you have a spare. So you don't dumb thumb or get brain lock when you have an "Oh ****!" moment because you're not really worried if it crashes. And because of that you don't crash. At least that's my theory.

My old T-28 has been around a long time, and taught me a lot. AND since it's beat-up old foam it has no real sentimental value to me. I get away with some really silly stuff with it, and I really think it's because I don't really care if it crashes or not.

Interesting stuff.

-Jay
LOL Jay! To be honest, I'm not really sure how it all works. It
might be because I know I have a spare. It's just as much a pain rebuilding as building new as far I'm concerned. I only know I haven't dumped a bird when I had a spare sitting in the closet. In lieu of that, I always suspect I'll dumb-thumb it somewhere along the line. Been there-done that! Respective of that, I haven't piled in another bird I do have NIB kits for. Go figure... I believe your last statement sort of covers it all, "and I really think it's because I don't really care if it crashes or not."

I actually do care as I hate rebuilding. But I've long since discovered these are just 'things' and some things are just not really worth getting emotionally attached to. I have a flying partner that's been there way longer then I have and his take is, "Oh Well", they're still making more of those.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:48 PM
D.C. Van Hoogstraten
Joined May 2006
65 Posts
Final CS

Well, I have my TC stripped down and almost ready for its new CS. I have to do some re-enforcement but am just waiting on funding. Meanwhile I got onto realflight and played around with the CS I had in mind, and the following pics are what I came up with. Kinda a hybrid between the original CS and a Super cub. Will post pics of the airframe along with all strengthening.
Dave
davevh is offline Find More Posts by davevh
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:34 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Hey guys,hows the rebuilds going? keep them pics coming in,,i just found the coooooooolest thing on here,scale pilots made from your pictures from balsa and painted to look exactley like you,,wicked!!! check them out here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180256
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:48 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,hows the rebuilds going? keep them pics coming in,,i just found the coooooooolest thing on here,scale pilots made from your pictures from balsa and painted to look exactley like you,,wicked!!! check them out here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180256
I really like those, he's been advertising every so often for years.... but they cost as much as the ARF. haha

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay