iRun4Love...see private message I sent
Gerry B is online now Find More Posts by Gerry B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 07:34 PM
Love seeks nothing in return.
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
Well, when it rains it pours... Realized today that the drive shaft of my Park 480 was bent on the end sticking out from the engine. Tried to straighten it, and snapped the tempered steel right off. AAAAUGH. LOL

But I did make progress on the cabin interior and the supporting "roll cage" inside the windshield (whatever it's called in planes LOL). The rudder pedals image is actually recessed in about 1/2" from the face of the cockpit panel, just to add some scale and looks.

Thanks to Magic2K for the inspiration for the interior. My rear "cargo" area will have tan carpet and feature a pilot bag, flight map and some magazines, all 1940's vintage era More on that another day.

Gotta go find me a replacement drive shaft...
iRun4Love is offline Find More Posts by iRun4Love
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:11 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
2,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun4Love View Post
Well, when it rains it pours... Realized today that the drive shaft of my Park 480 was bent on the end sticking out from the engine. Tried to straighten it, and snapped the tempered steel right off. AAAAUGH. LOL
[SNIP]
Gotta go find me a replacement drive shaft...
Eflite sells the shaft... I've changed it about 4 times.. it's not bad to do. If you want me to type up step by step directions I can. I use a vice, a deep socket, and a small drift.

While you're ordering, you should consider ordering a new collet adapter too, in the past when I bent the motor shaft I also bent the adapter.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite 85" Carbon-Z Cub
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:12 PM
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
I couldn't get the shaft out after I broke it - so if you have instructions, I'd LOVE to get a copy - you can send to me at "ceo492 AT hotmail.com" (unless you think it would benefit this thread).

Thanks - Just ordered the shaft. I have lots of the prop collet adapters They're pretty weak LOL.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:37 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
2,972 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't get the shaft out after I broke it - so if you have instructions, I'd LOVE to get a copy - you can send to me at "ceo492 AT hotmail.com" (unless you think it would benefit this thread).

Thanks - Just ordered the shaft. I have lots of the prop collet adapters They're pretty weak LOL.
Ok, I took some pictures... I used an old Parkzone 480 that isn't working well.. but it's built the same as the Park 480.

Step 1: Remove the collar at the mounting end of the motor. Also remove the small split washer. Make sure you put it back, it makes the bearing run smooth. The new shaft kit comes with a new one too.

Step 2: Pull the bell off of the motor. This can take quite a bit of force so be careful. Once the collar is off it's only the magnets holding it together.

Step 3: Loosen the set screws on the bell. Place a deep socket over the shaft and place it in a vise. Use the vice to press the shaft back until it is flush with the front of the bell.

Step 4: Keep the socket around the shaft and use a small drift and a hammer to punch the shaft the rest of the way out of the bell.

Disassembly is complete. When you reassemble be mindful of the flat spots on the shaft. That is where you want the set screws to end. So as you're pressing it back together make sure the flats are ending up in the right place.

Step 5: Place the shaft in the back of the bell and use the vise to press it in until it is even with the front of the bell.

Step 6: Put the stator and the rest of the motor back inside the bell. Then reinstall the washer and the collar.

Step 7: Using the socket, press the shaft in until it's snug. Doesn't need to be super tight, just snug. Then tighten the set screws on the bell.

You're done. See pics.

-Jay
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:02 AM
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
CyberJay - YOU ROCK!!!

Of course, now I'm trying to figure out where I might have a vise... lol not here, but maybe my Dad has one. But thank you - these instructions are awesome, and when I get the replacement shaft I'll get right on it!

Again - HUGE thank you - I can appreciate that took a while to put together, but greatly appreciated.

Thx.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:20 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Well done mate,she is gonna better than new when ur finnished,Keep them photos coming Also good job cyberjay,ill need to do that one day lol,i think ur a bit like me,i get a pleasure from helping people also. Magic
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Jan 09, 2010, 07:53 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
2,972 Posts
Hey I've learned a whole bunch about flying electric aircraft from this forum.. Now that I've got a lot of it figured out I guess I feel I need to give back to the next guy. Anyway, happy to do it.

-Jay
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2010, 10:33 AM
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
Magic2K - question for you. I saw on some earlier photos that you submitted, how you hid your servo leads from the wings by adding some covering inside the skylight area. My question that isn't evident in your photos (good job btw), is where you routed your wires?

I'm trying to figure out how to do something similar BUT in my case, the wings must remain removable for transport...
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:26 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Magic2K - question for you. I saw on some earlier photos that you submitted, how you hid your servo leads from the wings by adding some covering inside the skylight area. My question that isn't evident in your photos (good job btw), is where you routed your wires?

I'm trying to figure out how to do something similar BUT in my case, the wings must remain removable for transport...
Oh thats really easy dude,just go to the computer again and print a sheet of photo paper the same as the cream tc colour and then make templates from norm paper and then just cut the nice paper to size,at the rear outside corners of the wing windows bring the wires down and when you pop the servo cover in the wires will go behind it and be gone from sight. Magic.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:08 PM
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
Day 3 of the rebuild continues...

Temporarily substituting my Park 450 while waiting for the new drive shaft for my broken Park 480.

Wing work today... these are after strut repair, after servos attached and wired, and before covering is applied (Bottom then Top).
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:08 PM
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
Wings after recovering

Weather permitting, might get a flight test in today!
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:08 PM
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
200 Posts
Finished the cockpit - seats in, flight manual within reach, picture of my sweetheart in view... flight manual within reach (oh, did I say that already? )

Hinge repair to one of the wing spars that broke

Flight ready! Heading off to the field now with my brother - he'll handle the "Re-Maiden Flight Video"... And yes, I'm aware the cowling is missing... on order 10 day wait.

I think I'll take God as my co-pilot on this flight... just for purely precautionary reasons.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:26 PM
Joined May 2006
38 Posts
"Flight ready! Heading off to the field now with my brother - he'll handle the "Re-Maiden Flight Video"... And yes, I'm aware the cowling is missing... on order 10 day wait."

HH has the cowl, I ordered 2 last Friday and they shipped ...
davevh is offline Find More Posts by davevh
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:35 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Makes me smile to see her ready to fly again,you must be very happy to have scraped the mess up off the floor and got her flight ready in such a short time,be great when you get the cowl on dude,post a video if you do one with your brother Magic