HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine

NoFlyZone: The plane has nearly 4' wing span and a 3' fuse length-In your opinion-what should it's AUW be? Don't get me wrong, I think a 450 is going to be little under powered..but the plane is more for scale---it's a not a 3D aerobat.
Hi Dora,

I think a plane with a 4' wing span should be a lot lighter... sort of like this full 4 footer at 13.4 ounces...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
pie hopper
Central Arkansas
Joined Jun 2005
469 Posts
Quote:
<snip> ..but the plane is more for scale---it's a not a 3D aerobat.
Scale looks or scale flight? The weight on this one seems really high for scale like flight. I know my 46" Super Cub started off at 25 ounces. It was my first 'real' build so I didn't care that it flew too fast for scale. I've recently shaved an ounce off and it flies MUCH better, but I still hope to shave another ounce off and get it down to 23. It really should be much less than that, even, but it would take some major reconstruction to shed any more. I'm currently building Pat Tritle's 52" Super Cub and hope to keep it under 21 ounces with all of the scale-ish junk I'll add. I think Pat's version flies at less than 18 ounces.

This is definitely a beautiful Taylorcraft, but I'm like NoFlyZone... when I saw the AUW, I stopped reading.

Dave
toyjunker is offline Find More Posts by toyjunker
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:11 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Dora,

I think a plane with a 4' wing span should be a lot lighter... sort of like this full 4 footer at 13.4 ounces...

Chuck
Hey Chuck, the Cub's actually 14.2 oz, while the clipped is 13.4 oz. Yeah, I know, a whole 0.8 oz difference, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea or anything, LOL!
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberwein
Hey Chuck, the Cub's actually 14.2 oz, while the clipped is 13.4 oz. Yeah, I know, a whole 0.8 oz difference, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea or anything, LOL!
Hi Brian,

I'm hooked on Mountain Models (as you are well aware).

I still can't believe these planes weigh so LITTLE!!! My Dandy came in at 9.4 ounces AUW.

Next is the Dandy Sport, then the SwitchBack Sport, then the Tyro, then the J3 Cub.

Please stop selling me these planes... it's like an addiction

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 28, 2007, 04:07 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyjunker
Scale looks or scale flight?
Dave
I think the intended mission of Eflite's Taylorcraft is for their customers who have been flying the MUS and Mini Pulse to be able to swap their existing equipment (Park 450) over to something with scale looks that will fly similar. They have stated that this is a clipped wing version which would suggest something with a bit more aerobatic potential. I give them credit for introducing a Taylorcraft. There are a lot of Cubs available in both arf and kit form (including MM's excellent version). I guess we'll all know alot more once they hit the shops.

dawg
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Sep 28, 2007, 05:14 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Okay....some people here are amazed that 31oz. (2lbs.) is just too much for a:

Wing Span: 46 in (1170mm)
Overall Length: 36 in (915mm)
Wing Area: 370 sq in (23.8 sq dm) <------
Flying Weight: 29–31 oz (820–880 g)

I fly my Great Planes Super Sportster "EP" at 3lbs. (48oz.) using an RC Boggy "Brushed" motor (Kyosho Endoplasma 16-Turn, Double wind) in the Great Planes GD-600 Gearbox (3.8:1 ratio) swinging the APC "Sport" 9 X 8 propeller (TP-4200mAH, 3S2P; 2100's cells) with no problem and the Sportster comes with just a tad additional wing area at 383 sq.-in. and 48 inch wing span.

For those intersted, you all can view my Sportster's Flight manners at:

http://media.putfile.com/Super-Sport...-Apex-Li-POLYs

Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=613

TOP SPEED:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1166
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My point...........

So therefore, for a TylorCraft at 46 inch wing span with 370 sq.-inches of wing area and just 31oz. (2lbs.) is pretty light for an ARF!!!

Several years ago, I came across plans for a 54 inch wing span Taylorcraft by COMET MODEL HOBBYCRAFT CORP., CHICAGO, ILL., plans are not dated but are signed by Joseph Konefes noting a Kit No. 3505 and the plans are mostly 1/8 inch square stringers for the main frame work for the FUSE and 3/16 inch square leading edge and 1/8 X 3/8 inch trailing edge for wing assembly ( 3/16 X 3/8 inch front spar & 1/8 X 1/4 rear spar). Tail wheel?? What Tail Wheel??? The plans ask for a "Stiff Paper Spring Leaves assembly!!!!

You guess it a SUPER light structure and "WILL" fly like a large floaty RC Model and certainly do not take it in high windy conditions!!!

I feel that 31oz. for a 46 inch wing span "ARF" is perfect for those days with moderate wind and good overall light Sport RC Flying with the E-Flite 450 and a more spirited Sport Flying with the 480.

Summary:
It really all depends on what you are looking for.....I can assure you that in today's Balsa prices and all the supplies you would need to scratch build this COMET TaylorCraft.....it would be much higher than the introductory price of $109.99!!!! that E-Flite is asking for their TaylorCraft!!!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Sep 28, 2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:55 AM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
Hmm, maybe I'm missing something here but I'm currently working on a Comet Taylorcraft kit and to this point it's not costing me anything near $110. Though I've heard that the balsa in the older kits are heavy and hard what I've found in my kit was not too hard to work with. The cost of the kit was $30. I also had to buy some pins, thick CA and will have to buy a roll of covering (or two) so that would bring me up another $30-40 and maybe another $10 for wheels and control horns. That comes to about $70-80.

Of course if don't want to worry about purchasing your own wheels and control horns you could always buy a Dumas 40" ws Taylorcraft for $45 from Tower Hobbies.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPCA7&P=7

And despite the 8 oz AUW the Dumas T-craft should be able to handle winds up to 10mph and I'm hoping for the same with the Comet kit.

Oh, and if anyone is interested: the Comet Taylorcraft is available as a laser cut short kit which should save you a few hours of cutting parts from balsa sheets as the original kits used printwood. I think it took me about 5 hours total to cut all of the parts myself.

http://www.tmrcsailplanes.com/SAM-vi...lane-kits.html
(about half way down the page)

Rob
pac ace is offline Find More Posts by pac ace
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:24 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
pac ace,

Thanks for sharing! You have inspired me to build my COMET T-Craft!
Old Sep 29, 2007, 01:05 PM
pray for our troops
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2005
959 Posts
Good to hear. Have a great time building.

Rob
pac ace is offline Find More Posts by pac ace
Old Oct 04, 2007, 10:53 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,552 Posts
Wow, this is a beautiful new plane. I'm so glad E-Flite is making these to give alternatives to people who want an ARF that's not a non-scale sport plane or an aerobatic plane.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Oct 04, 2007, 01:21 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac ace
Hmm, maybe I'm missing something here but I'm currently working on a Comet Taylorcraft kit and to this point it's not costing me anything near $110. Though I've heard that the balsa in the older kits are heavy and hard what I've found in my kit was not too hard to work with. The cost of the kit was $30. I also had to buy some pins, thick CA and will have to buy a roll of covering (or two) so that would bring me up another $30-40 and maybe another $10 for wheels and control horns. That comes to about $70-80.

Of course if don't want to worry about purchasing your own wheels and control horns you could always buy a Dumas 40" ws Taylorcraft for $45 from Tower Hobbies.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPCA7&P=7

And despite the 8 oz AUW the Dumas T-craft should be able to handle winds up to 10mph and I'm hoping for the same with the Comet kit.

Oh, and if anyone is interested: the Comet Taylorcraft is available as a laser cut short kit which should save you a few hours of cutting parts from balsa sheets as the original kits used printwood. I think it took me about 5 hours total to cut all of the parts myself.

http://www.tmrcsailplanes.com/SAM-vi...lane-kits.html
(about half way down the page)

Rob

Ok I'll agree with you --but what do you put a value on your time??? Guarantee its going to take you a lot longer than a few hours to get your t-craft in the air.

I'm willing to pay the extra few dolloars to have a kit very much complete for me.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Oct 04, 2007, 05:05 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Guys,
I built a 54" Comet rubber power kit , it was beautiful vintage 1950ish or older (it had white rubber included). I converted it to a Wen-Mac 049, which was feeble to say the least. A Fox 049 made it fly with authority.
The Taylorcraft is a great alternative to a Cub!!!

I agree with Guapoman entirely.

This model IS NOT a Park Flyer and should not be construed as such.

The gentleman who questioned the weight for a Park flyer is correct.
Fying this model in a Park could be problematic. Need I say more???

I can't wait to get this beautiful bird. Thank You E-flite!!!!

Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Oct 04, 2007, 06:01 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
A couple of things....about E-Flite's 450/480 motors

I have been sort of puzzeled and confused as to how some Web Sites that advertise “or” have reviews on the new up coming E-Flite TaylorCraft recommend the E-Flite 480 (1020kv) motor instead of the other 480 motor with (910kv)?

Could it be a misprint? I ran some quick calculations using P-Calc and it just don’t make reason to me placing such a large Propeller (E-Lite 10 X 8 E) and high pitch on an Outrunner that delivers 1020Kv and using 3-Cell Li-POLYs as the current draw would be pretty high and efficiency will suffer.

If you perform a Web Search on “E-Flite Taylor Craft” one of the links you get is this one for the recommended propeller 10 X 8E (E-Fite Stock Number: EFLP1080E).
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Re...odID=EFLP1080E

Also, on the smaller 450 Outrunner, one specific Web Sites advertise the new Taylor Craft and recommends both the E-Flite 450 outrunner that they say delivers 980kv and the E-Flite 480 that delivers 1020kv such as this one: (This Web Site seems to have a “TYPO” error on the Kv for the 450 as if you look up EFLM1400 the E-Flite Web Site indicated that this motor delivers 890kv and not 980kv):

Here’s Chiefcraft Web Site and notice the kv for the 450 motor:
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...ts/Taylor.html

Here’s the E-Flite’s Web Site and notice the same stock number and kv for 450 motor:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Search/Defa...hTerm=EFLM1400

I will be back ordering this wonderful scale model and just wanted those that visit this thread of my findings and my future thoughts on how I will be configuring my model. I would certainly use the E-Flite 480 but, will purchase the EFLM1500 motor that delivers 910 kv and swing the APC “E” 9 X 6 propeller for fantastic efficiency and low current draw and not compromising the specific performance that I am looking for and that’s between slightly beyond “Scale” to Sport flying and that’s about 60 Watts per pound.

Here’s the P-Calc showing you two estimates with recommended 480, 1020kv and my recommendation using the other 480 with 910kv.
Old Oct 04, 2007, 06:45 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Any chance you could run those numbers with an APCE 12X6? And compare the 940KV and 1020KV? Thanks!!
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Oct 04, 2007, 07:31 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Any chance you could run those numbers with an APCE 12X6? And compare the 940KV and 1020KV? Thanks!!
I would glady do, however, to respect the originator's intent to discuss this new RC Electric ARF model, I would point you to the P-Calc and you can performed as much estimates you like without cluttering this thread.

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

It is easy to do....if you do not see the motor in question from the PULL DOWN menu under "Motor Selection" then, obtain the Idle Current and Resistance and Kv and just select "Custom" for Motor Selection and input mannually as I did.