HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2009, 03:49 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,088 Posts
The dubro Parkflyer skis are like $11. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDCT4&P=7 For that price it's easier to buy than make for me.

I got some last winter, and I was able to fly off of them during our ice storm. I really hope we get a few inches of nice light powder this year, the ice was great to fly off of, but if anything it was too easy.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2009, 05:59 AM
Weathers Good, Gotta Go Fly
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
I'll be using these ones that I made early this year for the last snow we had. They worked well despite being a little too small for the Shark.
Richard Stokes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Stokes
Old Dec 18, 2009, 01:39 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
CyberJay and Richard...

Very cool guys... I think I'll order the Tower skis...
Thanks for the advice... We have a rare gorgeous day in between the winter storms blowing in so up and away my TC will fly today... Now I wish I could find a nice but tiny HD Camcorder to take some video with...

bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:53 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stokes View Post
I'll be using these ones that I made early this year for the last snow we had. They worked well despite being a little too small for the Shark.
Hey richard whats the story with that shark?it looks very nice , what is the size and how does it flyz? ,i have given up wanting the nice outside weather in the winter i just fly my foamys and i have a small indoor helli that keeps my fingers bizzy,and i can fly it day and night
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Dec 18, 2009, 03:47 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,088 Posts
Guys, make sure you get a look at Navy Fly Guy's Grasshopper... I think he did a great job!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160871

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:29 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 Posts
wicked
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:57 PM
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
Magic the Shark is from Sebart here is a link to their site http://sebart.it/trainer.html and yes the shark is a basic trainer if you want it to be or some serious fun if you don't. One piece of advice if you decide to go for one beef up the motor mount, don't ask how Iknow this

Richard
Old Dec 19, 2009, 06:25 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 Posts
Thats a cool looking plane dude,i think it wants a starwars paint job,but,,,why do all planes seem to come with wheels that are too small?,,oh ye and a little darth vader in the seat
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:30 PM
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
Magic, I never thought of that before but now I can see exactly where you're coming from.
But back to the T/C I did a trial fit today and I think the skis are a good size for her but I need some thin piano wire to make some springs to hold the front of the skis up when in the air so they don't dig in on landing

Richard
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:47 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stokes View Post
Magic, I never thought of that before but now I can see exactly where you're coming from.
But back to the T/C I did a trial fit today and I think the skis are a good size for her but I need some thin piano wire to make some springs to hold the front of the skis up when in the air so they don't dig in on landing

Richard
Try elastic thread.
That's how the big boys do it.

My Dad used to fly Norsemans and Beavers and Otters when I was a youngster.
They used a cable on the back of the skis to limit travel (down) and a giant bungee to hold the front of the ski up.
On landing, the bungee just stretches.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Dec 26, 2009, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
16 Posts
Hey folks!

I just bought a Taylorcraft and thanks to you guys, I was prepared for some of the possible problems shared by some of you. I too experienced one side of the elevator being uneven and weak. That has been fixed.

These E-flite kits always seem to have stiff hinges... too much/sloppy use of CA. Oh well, nothing is perfect.

I am using HS-65 "type" servos. I tried HS-55s but found them to be underpowered for use with the rudder and elevator... they seemed OK for use with the ailerons (shorter push rods made the difference I guess).

I have ordered the 480 motor, and will be using a Turningy Plush 40A ESC and Flightmax 3S 20C 2200mAh batts, APC 12x6E. If anyone has a better prop solution to use with this motor and ESC, please don't hesitate to share!

Also, as suggested above, I ordered the dubro Parkflyer skis as well. The ground is frozen up here (Atlantic Canada) but no snow on the ground... yet!

Thanks again guys, and Happy Flying!

Murray
Murray_CYHZ is offline Find More Posts by Murray_CYHZ
Last edited by Murray_CYHZ; Dec 26, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:46 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray_CYHZ View Post
Hey folks!

I just bought a Taylorcraft and thanks to you guys, I was prepared for some of the possible problems shared by some of you. I too experienced one side of the elevator being uneven and weak. That has been fixed.

These E-flite kits always seem to have stiff hinges... too much/sloppy use of CA. Oh well, nothing is perfect.

I am using HS-65 "type" servos. I tried HS-55s but found them to be underpowered for use with the rudder and elevator... they seemed OK for use with the ailerons (shorter push rods made the difference I guess).

I have ordered the 480 motor, and will be using a Turningy Plush 40A ESC and Flightmax 3S 20C 2200mAh batts, APC 12x6E. If anyone has a better prop solution to use with this motor and ESC, please don't hesitate to share!

Also, as suggested above, I ordered the dubro Parkflyer skis as well. The ground is frozen up here (Atlantic Canada) but no snow on the ground... yet!

Thanks again guys, and Happy Flying!

Murray
Go 10x7 prop dude,it has enough power and lots of speed,this plane loves speed Magic
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:00 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
Murray...
You will love this plane and the HS65's were one of the best investment I've made in servos... They are so accurate and so fast...

After you get comfortable with the Taylorcraft with it's 480, get another 480 and treat yourself to their Sukhoi Su-26m 480... It is an unbelievable flyer and will slow fly slower than the Taylorcraft...

Happy New Year...
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:04 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
I purchased my Taylorcraft at the last swap meet a few months back now. It was a basket case, with the cowling missing and the firewall and motormount completley missing as well. The main wing had 3 or 4 broken spars, with several major gashes to the covering. The price was right, so I figured it would make for a good rainy day project. After the deal was complete (I think I got it with the S75 servos for $20), the gentlemen mentioned to me he just remembered he'd brought along the 'clipped wing' he had custom made from a replacement wing he'd ordered. Well there it sat for months, just long enough for vacation to start and the weather to get cold.

I scavenged thru bins in the garage, trying to come up with a power source. Then I stumbled across an old brushless turnigy motor I'd used in a DW Combat foamy (30-35 1100kv), and figured hey should be a great fit. In my digging I also rooted up an old Chinese 40A ESC (Mystery or Suppo) I figured would work, and a 10x8 prop from my greatly missed Seafury.

Despite the 20mph winds this morning, and the missing cowl, I decided I had enough effort into the plane and figured it was time for a maiden. After arriving at the field, I noticed I had forgotten my battery packs at the house! Thankfully my good friend was there to loan me his packs, thanks Danny!

The plane flies rock solid, and with the clipped wing, really performs well. I was really suprised with the speed of this plane! I didnt expect such a quick moving bird. Hopefully less winds tomorrow and a better flight report to follow, but I just had to check in and share my exceitement.

Don
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,714 Posts
Oh its a keeper dude!!!,wolf in sheeps or somut Magic Oh and it will land a lot better if you just keep the prop spinning really slow to stop the drag and lands nice and gentle with control,and it will be fun to try a little slope glide if you can in your area.