HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:30 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
What a beautiful morning to fly the TC considering they said it was going to rain for the next 7 days... It's been beautiful for the last three, ha. Those guys can never guess it right...

A whole flock of about 50 Canadian Honkers were at the end of my field and soon as I rotated all their heads came up tall as I was sure they were whispering, "Oh crap it's him again, head's up everybody this clown can't fly, remember he's the one who crashed right in the middle of us last year"...

I remember so much wanting to explain to them that it was a brand new HiTec HS-81 nylon gear servo that had slipped it's centering on it's control horn that changed my centering on my right aileron to a full left deflection, but nothing I said seemed to make a difference to them and they've been pissed ever since... ha.

They used to just relax and kept eating everyday when I flew right above them even just 40' over them, but ever since that HiTec failed me I completely lost their trust and it's obvious they are disgusted whenever they see me now... ha.

I'm flying one of the new 5 ounce, Pro Power, Thunderpower 1800mAh, 30C, 3S Lipo's which are very small and light... This little Lipo is only 4-7/8" long by 1-1/8" wide and 7/8" thick... I'm really impressed with how light and small these are... I have ground simulated regular flights tethered to a string several times now and these crazy things go 22 to 24 minutes before LVC... I never allow my flights to go that far but at 10 minutes on my timer with just a normal mix of rolls and loops and touch and go's and with a few full throttle 7 second bursts I'm using 40% to 60% in 10 minute air flights, so for me these are very hi-tech little batteries I think I paid like $49 for it and I know that's not cheap but still I'm positively pleased with the performance for their tiny size and weight...

Just wanted to share my experience with them so far...
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:36 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunky
i was thinking of doing a side by side config pack...I want to use lifepo4s cause they are inherently more stable and safer than lipos
I had a lipo fire when i didnt know much and baught a spit foamy with a 7.4v lipo and charged it with my 11.1v lipo charger,it burned about 700.00 in my back room in less than 20 seconds of going thermal,lucky i was stood 15 feet away and not up stairs or i wouldnt have a house left WOW ! then i read on a forum about lipos and then thought to my self" oooh right,thats what you shouldnt dowith lipos"lol toooooo late!!! ,,Magic
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:24 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
Magick2...

A while back I read a web page that had about 700 peoples stories on Lipo fires and it totally convinced me to spend the $24 and buy one of those super heavy duty fireproof Lipo charging bags... Mine is big enough to hold probably ten 4s's... I only have 1:4s 2500, 1:3s 2500, 1:1800 3s, and a whole handful of little 1s lipo's for my Parkzone Sukhoi and both my Blades the mSR and S-300... After watching the video's on how only smoke comes out of the bag when Lipo fires explode each cell one after another and for me it was a no brainer... I know all our LHS's have bunches of Lipo's in there year round but Lipo's can ignite just sitting there brand new and having never even been put on a charger and many guys have had it happen... I read you really have to have the knowledge and accept the responsibility before you should ever decide to buy Lipo's... I had my planes just hanging on the wall here in my office for a year and never had a fire but they are totally unpredictable as to when they blow... I charge all my Lipo's in the fireproof bag now with it's heavy Velcro flap closed...

Check out the videos at the bottom of this link... http://www.utahflyers.org/index.php?...id=21&Itemid=9

bnick
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:55 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunky
i was thinking of doing a side by side config pack...I want to use lifepo4s cause they are inherently more stable and safer than lipos
What do you mean by "side by side?"

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Oct 21, 2009, 03:27 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,156 Posts
you could mount the pack on top of the battery tray. but would need to remove the wing to do so
goldeneye007 is offline Find More Posts by goldeneye007
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:16 PM
Mango the Parrot
South Wales U.K.
Joined Jan 2009
197 Posts
Aaahhh ! I`ve crashed it !!!

After 2 weeks of no flying due to the weather I was suffering from withdrawl , so I went out in the wind .

Big mistake !

My Taylorcraft went in nose first and is smashed up to the rear windows .

I have only had about 10 flights with it !

So the big question is, should I buy another ?

Only joking

I`ve already ordered a replacement.

Cheers all,
ants.
arichards1969 is offline Find More Posts by arichards1969
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:46 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Sorry for your loss, I feel your pain!

My first couple planes had short lives for the same reason, flying when I know it was too windy!

You start to develop paitence after loosing about three planes, at least thats how long it took me.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:34 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arichards1969
After 2 weeks of no flying due to the weather I was suffering from withdrawl , so I went out in the wind .

Big mistake !

Only joking

Cheers all,
ants.
Order 2 they're cheap. Just kidding. Sorry about the loss, been there-done that.

I fly mine in winds about 7mph max. But then again I'm running a 10x8 wood prop on the 450 with a 2100 lipo. Flight times times stink but it's sure pretty goin by low and slow. I'm on my 2nd TC because a lightpole ate my 1st one. Probably have 25 or 30 flights on my 2nd one. I hardly ever get over 20' AGL unless I'm doing a loop and need the airspeed. Aileron rolls are uphill and limited to one per dive. I LOVE my TC and have to beat the crowd away from making off with it when it's in static behind the truck. What I really really like is the gasser flyers want it so bad.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:56 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,965 Posts
bnick2k8,
Quote:
A whole flock of about 50 Canadian Honkers were at the end of my field and soon as I rotated all their heads came up tall as I was sure they were whispering, "Oh crap it's him again, head's up everybody this clown can't fly, remember he's the one who crashed right in the middle of us last year"...

I remember so much wanting to explain to them that it was a brand new HiTec HS-81 nylon gear servo that had slipped it's centering on it's control horn that changed my centering on my right aileron to a full left deflection, but nothing I said seemed to make a difference to them and they've been pissed ever since... ha.
I was reading over this thread and read your post again. Had a good laugh once more. You have a great sense of humor.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:56 PM
Weathers Good, Gotta Go Fly
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
Finally got around to doing some repairs the last couple of days, striped, repaired, and re-covered the port stab on my cub, re-covered part of the wing on my Fokker DVII, and straighten the undercarriage, and re-glue the firewall again on the T/C. I think I'll epoxy some shaped blocks behind the firewall on to front sheeting, maybe that will hold it in place!!

Richard
Richard Stokes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Stokes
Old Oct 28, 2009, 04:19 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arichards1969 View Post

Big mistake !

Only joking

Cheers all,
ants.
sorry to hear that dude,when things get too windy i take my gws spitfire out and see how long i can get away with it before i smash it into 2 and some times 3 pieces,i just use silicone to repair it as its easy and the tube is BIG ,lol,,,its more silicone than foam now and is bent all out of shape ,i think i will try the me109 next have any of you guys had one of these?
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:36 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
I agree. Wind=Good time to fly foam
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:42 PM
Mango the Parrot
South Wales U.K.
Joined Jan 2009
197 Posts
Lovely Jubley !

My new ones almost built, just the pants left and tidy up all the wires.
This kits a [U]lot[U] better quality than my first.

Got a new 10x5 pulling 22A for 260watts, should be nice .

I think I`ll stick with my Minimag when the winds up. It`s had so many crashes it now weighs twice as much as when I bought it due to repairs and mods, it handles wind quite well.

ants.
arichards1969 is offline Find More Posts by arichards1969
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:00 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
arichards1969...

I'm sorry too that you went in... I found myself a bit concerned also the other day... My TC fly's simply beautiful in perfect weather, ha, but I got into about a 4mph blustery situation a few days ago, just having to get out and fly as the sun popped out through storm clouds... As sweet as she flies she can be a little touchy in a cross wind that comes and goes strongly..

I decided soon as it let up a touch I was coming in and it stopped for maybe just a lucky minute giving me time to make a 3rd approach, and don't ask about the first 2 approaches as they were not a pretty thing to behold.. She was all over the place...

I sneaked out today and got a couple flights in and it was just beautiful out except my gorgous field is now totally cover with geese crap, or is it called goose droppings...? I don't know the proper way of pronouncing it anyway once again after I got home I was commanded to hose off my wheels and my shoes before the president let me enter her castle... She's still mad at me after catching me drying my wheels off on her favorite towel she washes her face with... Dog gone women you can't please em...

bnick
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:16 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
Gary Hoorn...

Hey buddy they were there today in one of the biggest flocks I have ever seen and it's been this way all day and all night with non stop arrivals and departures all week... This brand new park where I fly across the street is 133 acres and today I had to look and look just to find a spot these clowns would share with me so I could take off... I wish Mary would have still been speaking to me because I could have asked her to take pics as I attempted to fly... I had geese in pairs coming in and going out all through the airspace I was trying to do KE's through... There easily was 1000 on the ground today within 50' of where I was... I had to really watch where I was flying so I didn't have another unfortunate mishap like we did last year... Today was as if they have accepted me once again maybe like on their own mental level, at least that's what Mary suggested...

bnick