SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2007, 04:25 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Dora,

I have seen these manuevers on a Trainer that did not have the size ailerons like this Taylorcraft and as a matter of fact it's the 3D Hobby Shop's 53" Electric Basic Trainer! The Video that automatically starts as you click the link below shows you how a light enough trainer with a powerful enough electric power system can allow for these.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2097
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2007, 07:49 AM
Joined Sep 2007
11 Posts
Hey i am looking at getting back into flying agian,and ive been debating on getting a parkzone trojan or typhoon or the easy glider i like basic aerobatics flatspins,wing overs, scale landings. So whould i be better off to go buy a radio[dxi6] and is the taylorcraft going to do the stuff i am hopeing to expect or is there any advice that you guys chould give me thanks
ryanlight19d is offline Find More Posts by ryanlight19d
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:31 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
I have to go check my LHS and see if he has one of these. I had a full scale 1940 T Craft back in the mid 70s. Great airplane. Never saw one with rear windows like this one has though. They look like they came out of a Citabria. Most T Crafts had no rear windows at all. And the seats weren't bucket seats either. Mine and my buddies had a canvas sling that both people sat in. But, she sure looks purdy, and nice to finally hear she flies well. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Nov 24, 2007, 09:37 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
I just got mine.

They came into the hobby shop this morning. That puts me as the first one in town to buy one.

I won't be the first to build, though. I'm putting this together with my friend who I am teaching to fly rc planes.

Eventually, this will end up being his plane.

Looking forward to seeing all the little things to look out for in the build.

Karl
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:57 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Never saw one with rear windows like this one has though. Tom
I've seen a couple - one I got a good close look at. Clearly an after-production mod The frame tube that's there just goes across inboard of the window in that case.

As you know there's nothing structural there except that one frame member - just fabric and maybe some thin sheet metal.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:58 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
bradyb.
Where did you find this motor? Perhaps a 2818/900??
Quote:
I'm running a Extreme Flight Torque 9818/900 motor
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:55 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
I broke the antenna off my DX-6. Sent it to Horizon Hobby had it back in 2 weeks with a new recalibrated antenna, it cost me only a few dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb
I'm running a Extreme Flight Torque 9818/900 motor (about a 480), an Airboss Elite 45Amp, and a TPower 2070. My balance point is at about 2.5" from the leading edge. I have the three cell pack zipped-tied in sideways (big fuselage) directly below the "A pillar". There is not a flat surface for the three cell to velcro and strap to, there is a bulk head where the firewall would be that protrudes through the floor. This will be a one-pack airplane for me.

My 11 month old pulled my DX6 radio off the counter via the charger cord and broke off my antenna, when the antenna broke it pulled out the wire from the microscopic coaxial connecter inside the radio. I tried fixing it with a couple of needles but the best range I could get was about 100'. good thing he is such a cute kid.

But, who cares about the short range I flew her anyway....
I had a good 5-10 MPH wind that was gusting a bit but nothing too bad. She took off in about 8' but wanted to pitch down hard and roll slightly. I got her up and trimmed her at -6 aileron and -29 elevator! She flew like a clipped-wing flying box, you cut the throttle and she slows right down with a pretty steep glide. This plane does not need flaps! In fact you might want a bit of throttle for smooth landings. With no throttle she'll drop right down and come to a stop in about 20'. I pretty much flew her over my head and only lost radio signal twice (thank goodness for fail safe). Aerobatics are fun, stall turns, blenders, hammer heads, torque roll hover, etc... Rolls are interesting with the whole plane about 6" outside where a coaxial roll would be. The plane flies kind of strange though. It wants to lose a lot of altitude in the turns and it doesn't feel like it is flying coordinated. It could be that it is a scale plane but I think it's something else.
I think the landing gear triangles act us forward control surfaces that add negative pitch to the plane. Somebody who has had a chance to fly theirs, please chime in! I can't figure out why she wants to pull down so much, it has nothing to do with throttle; and yes, I did glue my tail feathers on straight. After I get a new antenna, I'll remove the landing gear cover-things and see if that fixes it. The last plane I had that needed this much up-trim was my GWS tigermoth.

Other then the pitch problem she flies great. The plane is built very tough and very light with laser ply construction. The plane looks awesome and is really fun to build.

AND... Don't put a plastic prop on this plane! Get a decent wood prop, this plane deserves it! My motor loved the 11x5 woody I bolted on.
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:05 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Maidened mine today!

10 MPH winds, stock 450 setup using FlightPower Evo25 2100 Batteries. I flew 6 minutes on each battery and used about 40% of the charge. I think I can go 10 minutes with this setup.

It flies very easy on this lower power setup. Its very docile, I could fly it in at a very steep descent flair slightly and touch down to a perfect 3 point landing, then throttle up and go around in just a few feet.

I flew alongside the other T-Craft with the 480 setup. Mine flew fine but there is definitely a big difference in acceleration. His half throttle was my full throttle. Fortunately, you don't need to fly fast, it will roll and loop at low speed. His setup was also more efficient he could fly a little longer than I could. I'm thinking of switching from the 10x8 Prop to a 10X7 and see if that will improve my endurance.

The TaylorCraft is going to fill the niche for a relaxing and fun park flyer. I can keep up with this plane, unlike my Mini Ultra Stick where I always seem to be just slightly behind it and keep scaring myself(which is fun in itself.)

Its relaxing to fly it, the plane does exactly what I tell it to do, yet still sporty. And a pleasure to look at too!
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:07 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Rear window

Hi Bernard, long time no see. This is the only rear window I have ever seen in a T Craft. This was my color scheme back in 1974. They were original factory colors.
Oddly shaped control surfaces on the model too, as previously mentioned, so this apparently is modeled after a highly modified Taylorcraft.
I pulled my back out yesterday, so I never got to the LHS to see if they have one of the new E Flite T Crafts. Maybe Tuesday I'll get down there. Keep those reports coming in guys. I think Santa is wants to bring me one. Tom
Last edited by Tom Smith; Nov 24, 2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:12 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
That picture brought home what I didn't like about the kit (I looked at one on Tuesday past): The wheel pants looked like they were borrowed from a Mini Funtana - wrong size and shape. They should be wider and fatter, yada , yada . . .
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:46 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141
Maidened mine today!

10 MPH winds, stock 450 setup using FlightPower Evo25 2100 Batteries. I flew 6 minutes on each battery and used about 40% of the charge. I think I can go 10 minutes with this setup.

It flies very easy on this lower power setup. Its very docile, I could fly it in at a very steep descent flair slightly and touch down to a perfect 3 point landing, then throttle up and go around in just a few feet.

I flew alongside the other T-Craft with the 480 setup. Mine flew fine but there is definitely a big difference in acceleration. His half throttle was my full throttle. Fortunately, you don't need to fly fast, it will roll and loop at low speed. His setup was also more efficient he could fly a little longer than I could. I'm thinking of switching from the 10x8 Prop to a 10X7 and see if that will improve my endurance.

The TaylorCraft is going to fill the niche for a relaxing and fun park flyer. I can keep up with this plane, unlike my Mini Ultra Stick where I always seem to be just slightly behind it and keep scaring myself(which is fun in itself.)

Its relaxing to fly it, the plane does exactly what I tell it to do, yet still sporty. And a pleasure to look at too!

Nice report! Congrats John. Good info.
Trying to choose between 450 and 480 myself.
Sounds like you really can't go wrong with either.

cheers,
'beat
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:52 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141
Maidened mine today!

What prop is your buddy using with his 480? I just got my T-Craft yesterday and I have both a Scorpion 3008-28 (480 equivalent) and a Scorpion 2215-22 (450 equivalent) as well as an Eflite 480 and can't decide which one to use. I like the "relaxing" part but also like to get a little crazy on occasion. Maybe I'll start with the 450 and just try each and see what I like best.
gsk11740 is offline Find More Posts by gsk11740
Old Nov 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
I have 7 buddies flying the Mini Ultra Stick on the 450s and they all fly great. Very areobatic. One guy went with the 480 and agrees it is way over powered. Those motors may carry similar numbers, 450 v 480, but the performance is miles apart. Heck, mine is powered by a Hacker 20-20L and it flies great, but has very limited vertical. The 450 is the perfect motor for the MUS. I plan to put an AXI 2808-24 in my T Craft. Tom
Old Nov 24, 2007, 05:07 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Honestly, I can't see the need for a 480 motor in these. Keep it light and don't rip the wings off.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Nov 24, 2007, 05:52 PM
Joined Sep 2007
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlight19d
Hey i am looking at getting back into flying agian,and ive been debating on getting a parkzone trojan or typhoon or the easy glider i like basic aerobatics flatspins,wing overs, scale landings. So whould i be better off to go buy a radio[dxi6] and is the taylorcraft going to do the stuff i am hopeing to expect or is there any advice that you guys chould give me thanks
Is there any help you guys can give me?
ryanlight19d is offline Find More Posts by ryanlight19d