HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:59 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
well, the wind kicked up today, ferociously! And its forecasted for the next 3 days. I guess instead of assembling my Taylorcraft and tossing it into the air on a maiden flight like I usually do, I'll set the proper throws on the flight controls per the manual, and adjust the CG. But, dang it! It just doesn't feel right! Wheres the adventure in that...??
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
I'm hoping for a detailed flight report from someone soon. Some video of how slow it will fly would be great too.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:34 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace
I'm hoping for a detailed flight report from someone soon. Some video of how slow it will fly would be great too.
I watched a buddy fly his yesterday, its slow characteristics where excellent. It would drift slowly over the runway, no tip stall, he would set one wheel down then the other all under control. I am motivated, it was gentle in the slow speed and plenty agressive with a 480. I am using the 450 combo to see the difference.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:51 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan
We get it now can you stop? The rest of us want to have fun and enjoy this plane.

Certainly, I have seen this model fly very welll at our RC CLub with the 450 and it is enough power with pretty much all style of flying.....the owner just allow it to float on by and it was just majestic to see.

Tail wheel was replaced by a nice dubro wheel and sorry I did not take any pictures nor video as I came with my other car.

We are all having fun already, thank you.

Edit: According to the Owner, he added a solid piece of Ply up front and used his own motor mount using 1 inch SCH-40 PVC butted against the ply and using long 6-32 X 1 1/2 Machine scews with 1/4 X .140 X 1 Nylon Spacers.

guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:58 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
I pulled the plastic sleeve off my tailwheel(and it was a little to easy to slide off) and replaced it with a proper collar.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 07:16 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
one thing I did notice, the battery compartment is big but the opening is small. I can fit my Evo25 3S 2100 but my air thunders of the same ratings does not. No prob I got the EVO's
Old Nov 23, 2007, 07:36 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Jul 2005
263 Posts
Finished the T-craft today.
Sorry for the poor pics, but the battery in my camera died and had to use the wife's.

Anyone else have a gap from the fuse and the under side wing cut out?

I am square from wingtips to tail feathers and tips to fuse along c.g. line?

Weather not looking good here for maiden.

AUW 31.2 oz with 480 910 kv and TP 2100
LandCruiser is offline Find More Posts by LandCruiser
Old Nov 23, 2007, 07:46 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
Finished the T-craft today.
Sorry for the poor pics, but the battery in my camera died and had to use the wife's.

Anyone else have a gap from the fuse and the under side wing cut out?

I am square from wingtips to tail feathers and tips to fuse along c.g. line?

Weather not looking good here for maiden.

AUW 31.2 oz with 480 910 kv and TP 2100
I see a gap just below the wing root on the right side, but decided in flight no one can see it, except me, doh!
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:03 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Jul 2005
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141
I see a gap just below the wing root on the right side, but decided in flight no one can see it, except me, doh!
My gap is on the left side...not too concerned about it as I am square on my measurements, but thought it was not up to the "finish" I am used to with E-flite.

Out of all the planes I have in the hanger, the wife came down and commented "I like that one" !

Can't wait to maiden....
LandCruiser is offline Find More Posts by LandCruiser
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:09 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
My gap is on the left side...not too concerned about it as I am square on my measurements, but thought it was not up to the "finish" I am used to with E-flite.

Out of all the planes I have in the hanger, the wife came down and commented "I like that one" !

Can't wait to maiden....
My six year old son came in and said "this one has windows, I like it!" so now I promised we would buddy box it! I can't wait! (he's been flying realflight long enough)
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:49 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbeat
Steve- Did you make the skis or purchase them somewhere?
I'd love to see the specs- thanks

I have the Dubro parkflyer skis:

From Tower

They are really light weight. I also have a pair on Motoreater (name of one of my planes) that I scoot around on the grass with (Since there is no snow yet). Steering isn't very responsive though

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,685 Posts
Best of luck on your maiden guys!

Can't wait for my LHS to get this guy in so I can see if it looks half as awesome in real life.

I guess the new model bugs can be part of the game with mass production. To bad about the hinges though. No doubt E-Flite will get things worked out.

The warning about the optional 480 system is a bit odd, but having seen that set up in the E-Flite Mini Funtana X, it is a bit on the insane power side. It may be a good set up to use with a wood prop.

John and Christo
new2rc is online now Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:03 AM
Joined Mar 2003
59 Posts
I flew mine today!

I'm running a Extreme Flight Torque 9818/900 motor (about a 480), an Airboss Elite 45Amp, and a TPower 2070. My balance point is at about 2.5" from the leading edge. I have the three cell pack zipped-tied in sideways (big fuselage) directly below the "A pillar". There is not a flat surface for the three cell to velcro and strap to, there is a bulk head where the firewall would be that protrudes through the floor. This will be a one-pack airplane for me.

My 11 month old pulled my DX6 radio off the counter via the charger cord and broke off my antenna, when the antenna broke it pulled out the wire from the microscopic coaxial connecter inside the radio. I tried fixing it with a couple of needles but the best range I could get was about 100'. good thing he is such a cute kid.

But, who cares about the short range I flew her anyway....
I had a good 5-10 MPH wind that was gusting a bit but nothing too bad. She took off in about 8' but wanted to pitch down hard and roll slightly. I got her up and trimmed her at -6 aileron and -29 elevator! She flew like a clipped-wing flying box, you cut the throttle and she slows right down with a pretty steep glide. This plane does not need flaps! In fact you might want a bit of throttle for smooth landings. With no throttle she'll drop right down and come to a stop in about 20'. I pretty much flew her over my head and only lost radio signal twice (thank goodness for fail safe). Aerobatics are fun, stall turns, blenders, hammer heads, torque roll hover, etc... Rolls are interesting with the whole plane about 6" outside where a coaxial roll would be. The plane flies kind of strange though. It wants to lose a lot of altitude in the turns and it doesn't feel like it is flying coordinated. It could be that it is a scale plane but I think it's something else.
I think the landing gear triangles act us forward control surfaces that add negative pitch to the plane. Somebody who has had a chance to fly theirs, please chime in! I can't figure out why she wants to pull down so much, it has nothing to do with throttle; and yes, I did glue my tail feathers on straight. After I get a new antenna, I'll remove the landing gear cover-things and see if that fixes it. The last plane I had that needed this much up-trim was my GWS tigermoth.

Other then the pitch problem she flies great. The plane is built very tough and very light with laser ply construction. The plane looks awesome and is really fun to build.

AND... Don't put a plastic prop on this plane! Get a decent wood prop, this plane deserves it! My motor loved the 11x5 woody I bolted on.
bradyb is offline Find More Posts by bradyb
Last edited by bradyb; Nov 24, 2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:41 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,041 Posts
Sounds fun bradyb! Although that "little" issue with the radio would have kept me grounded. lol!

Funny about the pitch issue... did you check the cg post flight by any chance?
Perhaps something moved forward between the time you balanced it and the field flight? Sounds nose heavy, but you're in the recommended range of 2 3/8- 2 7/8.

Perhaps your 11 month old stored something in the cowl while you were examining his customization job on your radio?
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:52 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb
Aerobatics are fun, stall turns, blenders, hammer heads, torque roll hover, etc...

Are we talking about the same plane?
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine