HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:29 AM
aka : SteveBB..
South Yorkshire,England
Joined May 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay047
not a preferred method of landing........
Nor a prefered method of model construction as stock-shoddy is being kind.

Nose overs happen sometimes due mainly to the wheels digging into ruts and tipping as it slows up, it hasn't done any damage since I did the mods.

Quote:
The only 'mod' added to mine was thin cf struts for the vert and horiz stabs. Prep from pre-flight to tie-down as you would in R/L = no problems.

I seem to have got away with the tail feathers so far.. Had to rethink the undercarriage fitment, and as stated before a couple of cross braces in the rear fuz.
Stevepilot is offline Find More Posts by Stevepilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2009, 12:10 PM
heli pilots use the rudder
Joined Jan 2007
28 Posts
Had my first "hard landing" yesterday. It was my 4rd flight with the TC. Figured out my battery and Cg stuff but this little bird isn't so great in gusty winds..
Took off, realized it was a mistake, as the plane was getting tossed around like mad, and came in 3 times before I could go near the runway. I ran out of airspeed and had a hard landing into the wind. Bent the gear, cracked a wheel pant, snapped the prop.
I think the fact I glued the crap out of the gear area, and motor box saved me from any real repairs.
Took 10 minuets to fix when I got home. I will try again when the weather is nicer. I want to love this plane but so far my Trojan flys better......?
Guess I need a 60 low wing nitro if I'm going to fly "whenever" and a better skill set.
Gee.. I don't have this problem with the heli's ??!
LOL
redrsv is offline Find More Posts by redrsv
Old Apr 04, 2009, 08:10 PM
Mango the Parrot
South Wales U.K.
Joined Jan 2009
197 Posts
Hi,

I was just wondering what would be the heaviest AUP that the Taylorcraft could handle for basic aerobatic scale flying, as wing loading, etc is really quite beyond me.

I guess what I really want to know is how much modding I can get away with before she becomes uncontrollable .

I`ve now epoxied a couple of balsa squares to the LG mounting as someone did earlier (great idea) and ironed the covering back on the underside of the fuselage, easier than I thought and now looks as good as new.
Well, compared to how my kit was new, even better .

I have also managed to remove most of the excess glue from along the control surfaces and they now move freely.
Took me about 2hr`s as I could not see the hinges and did`nt want to cut them or the covering .

Thanks everyone,

ants.
arichards1969 is offline Find More Posts by arichards1969
Old Apr 04, 2009, 08:35 PM
Re-incarnated Heli Pilot
United States, NC, Morganton
Joined Jun 2007
101 Posts
My rolling TO weight is 42oz (1190g). I'd be comfortable with 4-5 more ounces (~150g) from a performance view-point for my set-up, but remember that added weight during landing. <G>

> > redrsv - One of my pre-flight checks is ensuring wind is less than 12-15MPH. Simply ain't much "fun" above that.
CeeJay047 is offline Find More Posts by CeeJay047
Last edited by CeeJay047; Apr 04, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2009, 09:03 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Well, I couldn't wait for my motor so I took it out this morning with this little one and I did a ROG grass takeoff and guess what? It flew? NOt a powerhouse by any stretch, but it just floated. A 1200 batt and this little motor and away she went. Did a couple of takeoffs and it trimmed out perfectly. I can't imagine what it will do with that 450!
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Apr 05, 2009, 03:54 PM
aka : SteveBB..
South Yorkshire,England
Joined May 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids2
Well, I couldn't wait for my motor so I took it out this morning with this little one and I did a ROG grass takeoff and guess what? It flew? NOt a powerhouse by any stretch, but it just floated. A 1200 batt and this little motor and away she went. Did a couple of takeoffs and it trimmed out perfectly. I can't imagine what it will do with that 450!

Don't know for sure, but the 480 is pretty effective. . The TC has a good wing area, and not inconsiderable under fus area, so isn't lacking 'float' ability. But it's been said, quite susceptible to a breeze because it is a barn door!

Having said that, it flies very well, quite sharp turns and loops if needed. And will crawl in to the patch for a slow pass or land--I find it lands easier if it's given (not too much!) throttle and fly it 'into' the flare at a decent speed for touch down rather than slow it up too much to hover it where it can stall and drop. The patch you're using will of course make a difference to how you land it and the considerations you'll need to make.
Stevepilot is offline Find More Posts by Stevepilot
Old Apr 06, 2009, 12:12 AM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Did notice that it floated...my T 28 does the same thing, I have to PULL it down sometimes.
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:28 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
I like the floating side of this plane ,when the wind is up i like to kill the motor and see how long i can keep it up there ,glider style . play around with the left and right tip stall.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Apr 07, 2009, 06:38 AM View Post
Snoopyxupery
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while Snoopyxupery edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:29 AM
Weathers Good, Gotta Go Fly
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
Nice vid Snoopy but one thing comes to mind at the end, to the tune of ''My eyes have seen the glory'', He was only playing leap frog!!
Richard
Richard Stokes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Stokes
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:26 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
The motor you've got on there looks like it'd be good for ~70 to 100 watts/lb, so you're probably working with scale-like performance. The Park 450 bumps that up to between 85 to 120 watts/lb (the Park 480 has more power, yes, but the recommended battery is also significantly heavier than the 1200 mAH battery you're using.) The Park 450 is more than enough for aerobatics in the T-Craft.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:36 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,191 Posts
Quote:
I fly mine on the Park 450 & 2200 mAH 3s1p. It has plenty of power, jumps off the grass in a short run and flies off water quite well. It's aerobatic w/floats, too.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Apr 08, 2009, 03:52 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Hey guys, glad to finally be a part of this thread. Beautiful plane. I've got one on order, and Ive chosen the eflite 480 BL for it. Im planning on swinging an 11x5 or 11x5.5 prop. At the moment, I have a spare 30A speedy lying around, will this be sufficient or will I need to order a 40A? Anyone running a 480 and 11x5.5 that knows the Amp draw?

Thanks guys
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
Old Apr 08, 2009, 04:53 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,822 Posts
I can't speak to an 11" prop but my Taylorcraft with a Master Airscrew 10x6 and an E-Flite 480 1020 is consuming 27.74 amps and making 327 watts in flight according to my Eagle Tree. Goes vertical until I get tired of watching it or it goes OOS...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Apr 09, 2009, 02:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Got to love unlimited vertical. Great to know you're not limited by gravity! Very useful if you want to do some aerial photography, gets up high nice and quick! Can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy!!!
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck