HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:02 AM
heli pilots use the rudder
Joined Jan 2007
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
CyberJay,
Thank you. You found the post before I did. It was awhile back...

Daniel,
Note the black velcro on the bottom of the battery tray and the hold down strap. Plenty of lipo holding power. I do snaps, outside loops and inverted spins with mine and have never had a lipo come loose.
Gary
Gary,
Now you tell me I didn't need to build a tray. On my first flight the battery moved a bunch with the supplied strap and velcro on the base of the stock tray.
Are you using "alien" velcro????
redrsv is offline Find More Posts by redrsv
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:08 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,829 Posts
redsrv,
I stole that velcro from a Space Ship that landed by my local Staples store In all seriousness I get all of my sticky-back velcro from the Staples Office Supply store. Great stuff that has never let me down. Comes in a roll in a plastic case. I install the hook portion on the battery tray after first running some thin CA on the ply to make the velcro grip better. Let the CA cure and then install the velcro. The "furry" side of the velcro goes on the lipos. They also sell some great velcro straps in many colors.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:07 AM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
894 Posts
I also install my batteries this way with no problems.
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old Mar 31, 2009, 07:34 PM
Mango the Parrot
South Wales U.K.
Joined Jan 2009
197 Posts
Hi all,

My Taylorcraft has arrived and upon opening the box my initial reaction was `stunning`, quickly followed by `way too fragile`.

After all the good things I`ve read I thought E-flite was a better than average manufacturer, so I can only assume that mine slipped through the QC .

Seriously, there are too many faults for me to list but my main concern is that the fuselage is cracked (although `smashed` would be a better choice) in two places where I think the covering has been applied with a blow torch . When I pick it up the sides squeeze inwards about half an inch!
Also the push rod tubes look to be about an inch too long as they are both in quite severe `s` shapes so I think I`m going to get some serious binding.
The box and plastic bags were immaculate so I guess it left the factory this way.

It seems the only thing holding it together is the covering, are all E-flite kits built this poorly?
My only other balsa ARF is a Hai-Kong 48" Spitfire which is made at the same factory as the Hyperion models and to say it is a more solid, better thought out and superior aircraft would be an understatement.
I had planned on buying quite a few more E-flite planes but I`ll now take my business elsewhere!

Apart from this I love it .

Please forgive my moaning but as you can probably tell I am not a happy bunny

Oh well, cheers all and now wheres my glue!
ants.
arichards1969 is offline Find More Posts by arichards1969
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:09 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Perhaps you received a damaged plane?
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:58 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arichards1969
Hi all,

My Taylorcraft has arrived and upon opening the box my initial reaction was `stunning`, quickly followed by `way too fragile`.

After all the good things I`ve read I thought E-flite was a better than average manufacturer, so I can only assume that mine slipped through the QC .

Seriously, there are too many faults for me to list but my main concern is that the fuselage is cracked (although `smashed` would be a better choice) in two places where I think the covering has been applied with a blow torch . When I pick it up the sides squeeze inwards about half an inch!
Also the push rod tubes look to be about an inch too long as they are both in quite severe `s` shapes so I think I`m going to get some serious binding.
The box and plastic bags were immaculate so I guess it left the factory this way.

It seems the only thing holding it together is the covering, are all E-flite kits built this poorly?
My only other balsa ARF is a Hai-Kong 48" Spitfire which is made at the same factory as the Hyperion models and to say it is a more solid, better thought out and superior aircraft would be an understatement.
I had planned on buying quite a few more E-flite planes but I`ll now take my business elsewhere!

Apart from this I love it .

Please forgive my moaning but as you can probably tell I am not a happy bunny

Oh well, cheers all and now wheres my glue!
ants.
Wow, where to start. Presuming all you state is correct, I'd return the product for a full replacement. This isn't typical of any of my 3 TC's. The biggest gripe per se, is the wings are warped. My 1st one was perfect, my 2nd one had HORRIBLE wing twists and my 3rd one is unopened in the box. Horizon Hobby replaced the wings from the 2nd but it took about 3 weeks. The 1st one went down due a light pole jumping in front of the plane. I haven't seen any guide tube problems to-date nor do I remember reading about any as you ascribe to. There are problems with this bird which are listed in this very extensive thread. Most of the advice is very worthwhile with respect to beefing the bird up to make it a daily flier.

All in all, I've been 'fairly' happy with the E-Flite line of products. There are issues with every product from every vendor. Believe me, I've done my share of griping and being HIGHLY irritated. However, most are not to the extent you describe. You didn't mention if the shipping box was crushed so I'm "assuming" not. My current E-Flite line is the 25 size Cub(2/ea.), the Extra 260(2/ea), the TC450(3/ea.) and a Cap 232 BP. Respective of this, I can only state none of my products have suffered what you've described. Were they perfect, nope! Were major repairs needed, nope! Replacement needed, yes! Per your posting, I'd suspect you got a monday morning bird from a weekend of to much saki. All in all, E-Flite makes a fairly decent product, as do a lot of other vendors. I'm leaning towards you happened to be the unlucky recipient of a piece of junk that should have never left the plant. My fleet is comprised of E-Flite, Hyperion, Hanger 9 and Great Planes. None of them are perfect but then again none of them are as you ascribe you on your TC 450. The 450 is a wonderful bird and flies very scale. Take a deep breath and get it replaced. I'd almost guarantee you'll love it when it's done.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:25 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,152 Posts
[QUOTE=arichards1969]Hi all,

from what some people say there is no QC. as for the cracked fuselage that will be the covering as it does a good job of holding it in one piece. and for the sides moving in when picked up don't pick it up by the sides. the truth is the plane is good at flying and you could crash it from 20ft and get away with it. but if you pick it up in the wrong place (SNAP) i think they should of used a bit stronger / thicker wood as it flys well on the 450 so a bit of extra weight would of been ok. i own the EF CUB 25 and that is a fantastically built plane with no problems. but all there later kits have been put on a weight loss program. just to save CASH.
goldeneye007 is offline Find More Posts by goldeneye007
Old Apr 01, 2009, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2007
28 Posts
Yea, this is a "fragile" airplane. Pretty usually is not the same as strong!

Had my second flight yesterday, still flying down somewhat even after moving the battery back. The CG on the stand was perfect. An experienced plane guy was there ( I'm a heli guy) and said the rear stab was at the wrong angle (Its glued on remember) so we adjusted the sub trim in the radio and then it flew fine but the motor was cutting in and out so I landed right away.
Now my older lipos might not work with the 480 1020 kv park motor. The speed controller is cutting the motor in and out at wide open throttle. I am going to try a new battery to see if that is the problem.
I put an watt meter on it last night with the old battery charged to 12.5 volts (flightpower 2500ma 3 cell with over 50 cycles on it) and it read 24 amps 245 watts at 9.5 volts at wide open. and was still cutting in and out.
HELP GARY !@#
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Steve
Old Apr 01, 2009, 10:03 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrsv
Yea, this is a "fragile" airplane. Pretty usually is not the same as strong!

Had my second flight yesterday, still flying down somewhat even after moving the battery back. The CG on the stand was perfect. An experienced plane guy was there ( I'm a heli guy) and said the rear stab was at the wrong angle (Its glued on remember) so we adjusted the sub trim in the radio and then it flew fine but the motor was cutting in and out so I landed right away.
Now my older lipos might not work with the 480 1020 kv park motor. The speed controller is cutting the motor in and out at wide open throttle. I am going to try a new battery to see if that is the problem.
I put an watt meter on it last night with the old battery charged to 12.5 volts (flightpower 2500ma 3 cell with over 50 cycles on it) and it read 24 amps 245 watts at 9.5 volts at wide open. and was still cutting in and out.
HELP GARY !@#
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Steve
Steve - the decalage is correct on this plane - don't know that yoru "helper" was trying to indicate. The T-craft flies wonderfully it will climb under power (as it should) and descend when power drops.

You cutout - is likely your battery not up to task. I like to see them holding over 10v and even 10.3 or 10.4v under load. Try a smaller prop - you don't need 245w of power on this plane - in fact I fly mine at 170w and it is GOB's of power.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2009, 10:25 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,829 Posts
Steve,
Mike is right on with his diagnosis. If the voltage drops that far under load the lipo appears to have passed its prime. Amps and watts appear to be similar to the results my Eagle Tree shows on my Taylorcraft. The voltage dropping so low so quickly does not however. That motor really needs a lipo of at least 20C capacity to perform. I have been using these inexpensive Zippy's from the US Warehouse lately and so far the results are very good. I have a CBAII and after 3 cycles they were giving what they are supposed to without getting very warm. At the low price I felt I could afford to experiment. They appear to out of stock at the moment but IMO are worth a try.
Gary

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...(USA_Warehouse
Last edited by Gary Hoorn; Apr 01, 2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old Apr 01, 2009, 10:38 AM
Mango the Parrot
South Wales U.K.
Joined Jan 2009
197 Posts
Thanks guys,

The kit was double-boxed and in perfect condition, it cost`s too much to return it! so I`ll just make the best of it.

Can anyone tell me how many hinges are used on all the control surfaces and if possible measurements?

Whoever glued the hinges in place has let glue run the full length of the surfaces, not only do the ailerons etc, hardly move but because of all the glue I cannot see any hinges to slip a knife in between to remove the glue!

Shocking

Cheers
ants.
arichards1969 is offline Find More Posts by arichards1969
Old Apr 01, 2009, 11:54 AM
Joined Jan 2007
28 Posts
Thanks guys!!
I will throw a brand new battery in tonight and try again. I am using e-flights recommended prop for this motor. Dose the fact that I am holding the plane still on the ground and putting a full load on it hurt my "testing"? I am unable to get to the field at the moment.
Also Gary after an hour of trying I was able to straighten out the Pulse 25s wing. She is straight as an arrow now. I would have never expected to be able to take such a big warp out.
If you ever get into helis let me know, I know a boatload about them.

Cheers,
Steve
Old Apr 01, 2009, 01:21 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,829 Posts
Steve,
Glad the wing warp removal worked for you. As to helis, I need to dig out the album and show you a picture of me flying an American Revolution 40 size heli in 1976! No expo, no gyros, just fly the thing
Gary
Old Apr 01, 2009, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
28 Posts
1976 ? Cool, you should try a modern one, you could probably fly the snot out of it.
Thanks again for the help, that wing was a bummer when I first realized it. I hope to maiden her this weekend.....
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:08 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,829 Posts
Steve,
I continued and have flown the modern helis with all the goodies like CCPM and gyros. They are considerably easier to fly that is for sure.
Gary