HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:34 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Mine tends to make the rounds at assorted events and fields of varied quality. And there have been times where I've ended up landing in the rough beyond the runway, so I value a pair of bigger tires. Some full-scale Taylorcrafts were modified to have bigger tires in order to cope with marginal fields, way back in the day, so I don't feel too bad about doing it. And besides, it's amazing what a little paint can do.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:21 PM
Mango the Parrot
South Wales U.K.
Joined Jan 2009
197 Posts
I`ve now ordered one of these beautiful planes

Hurry up Mr Postman
arichards1969 is offline Find More Posts by arichards1969
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:03 AM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
I am picking up a real nice used one on Monday for $75! He has already done the landing gear mods. Hope this flies as well as my T-28 and FU Corsair. Anyone have one of those to compare this with?
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Mar 28, 2009, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arichards1969
I`ve now ordered one of these beautiful planes

Hurry up Mr Postman
you should be saying slow down to the postman as the plane is so much of a tight fit in the box. that you do want a ARTF kit and not a do it yourself MATCH STICK KIT.
goldeneye007 is offline Find More Posts by goldeneye007
Old Mar 29, 2009, 01:04 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids2
I am picking up a real nice used one on Monday for $75! He has already done the landing gear mods. Hope this flies as well as my T-28 and FU Corsair. Anyone have one of those to compare this with?
I own both the T-Craft, and a PZ T-28. The T-Craft floats better, and feels like it's more precise in the aerobatics department than the Trojan. It's quicker to take advantage of rising air.

The Trojan is a bit better in the wind. The T-Craft is really sensitive to crosswinds, and handling them requires a bit of finesse that isn't needed with the Trojan.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:21 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
One thing the Taylorcraft will teach you is use of the rudder. Don't just slam the throttle open and never touch the rudder during flight. The Taylorcraft, like its full sized counterpart, likes you to use the rudder. A little cross control in a cross wind will keep things going correctly. It also does a wonderful side-slip to kill altitude.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:50 AM
Old Bold Pilot
Holiday, Fl. USA
Joined Apr 2007
384 Posts
rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
One thing the Taylorcraft will teach you is use of the rudder. Don't just slam the throttle open and never touch the rudder during flight. The Taylorcraft, like its full sized counterpart, likes you to use the rudder. A little cross control in a cross wind will keep things going correctly. It also does a wonderful side-slip to kill altitude.
Gary
Now there's a REAL pilot talkin' ! Syre glad to hear that.
Stan
Stan Richardson is offline Find More Posts by Stan Richardson
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:00 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Dec 2006
367 Posts
Cool, I have actually erally learned to use the rudder in flying my 3D stuff. Rudder is really necessary so i am comfortable with it's use for scale too. My Multiplex twinstar is very fond of rudder use too. sounds like this is steady though. should have it up hopefully by next week.
luvmykids2 is offline Find More Posts by luvmykids2
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:30 PM
heli pilots use the rudder
Joined Jan 2007
44 Posts
Just maidened my TC. Went by the book on the CG and it was way nose heavy.
Trimed it up a lot while flying and it flew great. I have the bigger motor in it and it climbs great. Since I'm a "heli" guy and under 60, all the plank guys at my club went nuts when they saw me with this bird. Everyone said it was to "pretty" to fly LOL.
I took your guys advice and cut out the battery door to get the battery in, reinforced the motor mount and wood around the wheel supports. I also made a "tray" to hold the battery in place side to side. Can't wait to fly again but the wind is over 20..
Cheers, and thanks for the help
redrsv is offline Find More Posts by redrsv
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2007
1,372 Posts
Would you mind posting a picture of how you cut fuselage bottom out? The pain of changing batteries is keeping my Taylorcraft grounded in favor of other planes, more often than not.

Thanks,
Daniel
dswitkin is offline Find More Posts by dswitkin
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:51 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
Daniel,
Don't cut out the bottom of the fuselage. Use your Dremel tool and notch between the two magnets on the ply cross brace at the rear where the hatch sits. Somewhere way back in this thread I showed a picture of how I did that. I can get big fat 2200 GForce lipos in mine with no problem. Hacking up the bottom of the plane is not necessary.
Gary
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:59 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Daniel,
Don't cut out the bottom of the fuselage. Use your Dremel tool and notch between the two magnets on the ply cross brace at the rear where the hatch sits. Somewhere way back in this thread I showed a picture of how I did that. I can get big fat 2200 GForce lipos in mine with no problem. Hacking up the bottom of the plane is not necessary.
Gary
Here ya go.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=696
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:46 AM
heli pilots use the rudder
Joined Jan 2007
44 Posts
Daniel,
I cut out the door support just like the pic that cyberjay attached. Sorry it sounded like I cut the door. I also made a balsa "tray" that is glued under the seat to hold the battery in left to right. I like to fly acrobatic so I felt the strap and velcro was wimpy..
Cheers,
Steve
redrsv is offline Find More Posts by redrsv
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:07 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
CyberJay,
Thank you. You found the post before I did. It was awhile back...

Daniel,
Note the black velcro on the bottom of the battery tray and the hold down strap. Plenty of lipo holding power. I do snaps, outside loops and inverted spins with mine and have never had a lipo come loose.
Gary
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:47 AM
Old Bold Pilot
Holiday, Fl. USA
Joined Apr 2007
384 Posts
Great thread

Quote:
CyberJay,
Thank you. You found the post before I did. It was awhile back...

Daniel,
Note the black velcro on the bottom of the battery tray and the hold down strap. Plenty of lipo holding power. I do snaps, outside loops and inverted spins with mine and have never had a lipo come loose.
Gary
Hi Gary,
Thanks for all the good info on here. This thread is getting as good as "that big one"
Stan
Stan Richardson is offline Find More Posts by Stan Richardson