HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2007, 03:28 PM
Plastic Buddha
Joined Oct 2005
2,597 Posts
aftica is offline Find More Posts by aftica
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aftica; Sep 23, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2007, 03:33 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,654 Posts
You heli experience WILL help, I am almost sure of that. You already know not to let it get too far away probably ... and that is mistake #1 for rookies. Plus you should have no problems with orientation when it is flying towards you instead away from you. mistake #2.

I should have my TaylorC in a few days. I am excited!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:09 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,658 Posts
Wow, this is great! Folks are already getting thier's in the air. Anyone thought about a scale pilot figure(s)? I don't have mine yet...nor I am I in a postition to see it anyway. I'm wondering what would work though. Thanks!
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:27 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,463 Posts
Barnesjonr, are you doing a review? I would like to see some pics and video of one of these things soon. I have to wait at least a week until my LHS gets them in. I will wait bc the folks at my LHS are good people and I would like to buy it from them.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:55 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,654 Posts
Blakevan ... No sir I am not doing this one, although a fellow Author has it on his slate I am sure?

No, I just bought one because I am a sucker for a pretty face!

It is great to support your LHS if possible, thats for sure!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2007, 06:08 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141
>snip< And the tail-wheel fell off almost immediately, I'll check the collar on mine tonight. (Although it really doesn't need a tail-wheel, since the tail comes off the ground almost immediately, he flew most of the morning with out it.)
Hey that is just like in the pictures that Horizon has on their website: Taylorcraft in flight with no tail wheel!

steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:42 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Proof! No tail wheel needed...

I just installed the Park 450 motor, it really looks puny compared to the rest of the plane...

...biting fingernails...
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:03 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
I caught the tailwheel wire in the carpeting of my car when we went out for the video shoot. Tailwheel came off immediately on takeoff. We never had one fall off before that or after that. There could be some tolerance issues on the small plastic keeper. A drop of CA would remedy it I believe.

Sounds like the first flight reports are coming in. I personally really like this bird. It is a winner hands down in my opinion, and that isn't because of my affiliation with E-flite. Everything about eh T-Craft just works, and works darn good.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:48 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
I caught the tailwheel wire in the carpeting of my car when we went out for the video shoot. Tailwheel came off immediately on takeoff. We never had one fall off before that or after that. There could be some tolerance issues on the small plastic keeper. A drop of CA would remedy it I believe.

Sounds like the first flight reports are coming in. I personally really like this bird. It is a winner hands down in my opinion, and that isn't because of my affiliation with E-flite. Everything about eh T-Craft just works, and works darn good.

John
She is a nice looking plane - I can't wait to get mine! I have a set of skis ready to go should the weather not want to cooperate - also a 480 if I need it with the skis...

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:01 AM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
She is a nice looking plane - I can't wait to get mine! I have a set of skis ready to go should the weather not want to cooperate - also a 480 if I need it with the skis...

Cheers,
Steve
Steve- Did you make the skis or purchase them somewhere?
I'd love to see the specs- thanks
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Nov 23, 2007, 01:30 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Hey guys, first question regarding the gluing in of hinges. A fair amount of our research in the market place says that modelers today would rather us do all the work if possible. For that reason we try to accomplish the most we can. We do not glue the hinges in on our 3D park flyers, becasue I have yet to get ot a point of controlling the vendor during manufacturing to the tollerances we would like. We have not had any complaints on the Mini Pulse XT or the Mini Ultra Stick. I will look into the setups at the factories and see what I can come up with.

The comparison between our Taylorcraft and the Hobby Lobby Bird Dog is a nice comparison. I believe we are a slightly larger model with 100 square inches more wing area which in turns costa bit more with covering, materials and such. But overall the Bird Dog looks very nice.

I will look at the nose structure on the next coupel of models and see what I can do for you guys. All great info guys.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

John
John-
My 2 cents on hinges;
If your factory can get them centered- terrific! If not, then it's much more trouble to redo them than it is to just install them correctly the first time.

REintalling hinges-cutting through them, reslotting and reinstalling includes a little more work and a bit of risk of damaging the covering than there is just installing the hinges. There's the possibility of having the exisiting hinges in the way, cutting a TE, LE or slicing the covering while cutting through the exisitng hinges, etc. Depends on a modeler's skill. It didn't take long to do a clean re-hinge on my Texan's tail surfaces, but then again I have a lot of experience as a craftsman. Some ARF builders either don't have the time, patience, experience, or interest, and in those cases the modeler may just fly the plane as is and either be disappointed or just accepting of flight performance less than optimum.

On my Texan I would not have re-hinged the surfaces had I felt it wouldn't influence the flight performance. The rudder and one elevator half were off enough to effect flight.

My T-Craft just came in. One aileron is spot on. The other is off by enough that it would effect trim, and I'll have to replace the hinges. Same with the elevator on the Taylorcraft. Both surfaces are crooked- they are not off evenly and still parallel, but they are correct on one end and off on the other.

Since the covering, the decals, the fuse framing, and many other details are really clean on the T-Craft (better than the Texan I think), then I see no reason why the factory won't be able to find consistency with the hinges.

I agree with the others in this thread and the Texan thread. There's alot more right with these 2 new beautiful products from E-flite than there is wrong with them. And you know your active participation is appreciated, as is our opportunity to offer constructive feedback.

thanks,
'beat
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:53 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbeat
John-

I agree with the others in this thread and the Texan thread. There's alot more right with these 2 new beautiful products from E-flite than there is wrong with them. And you know your active participation is appreciated, as is our opportunity to offer constructive feedback.

thanks,
'beat
Agreed, please post your build progress and certainly some in-flight pic's or better yet some video!!

Thanks!!!!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:36 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Oh, lets not forget the first couple of posts.....

such as this one

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...92&postcount=9
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Nov 23, 2007, 04:17 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,463 Posts
Dead horse

We get it now can you stop? The rest of us want to have fun and enjoy this plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Oh, lets not forget the first couple of posts.....

such as this one

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...92&postcount=9
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:46 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,892 Posts
I think it is time for us to enjoy this plane. Granted most electric models are built differently than those intended for glow. Just because one of us does not agree does not make it wrong!
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn