Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 03, 2009, 06:15 AM
hs1
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
Anyone in the area of Glen Burnie Maryland can pick up a Taylorcraft for the old price at the Hobby Town there. I was there Sunday and they had one on the shelf. Also had a Beaver at the old price.
Gary
What is the 'old' price?

thx
hs1
hs1 is offline Find More Posts by hs1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2009, 09:00 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,628 Posts
Taylorcraft was 109

Beaver was 169
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Feb 03, 2009, 10:36 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,809 Posts
He beat me to it
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:32 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
2,975 Posts
Do you all think the 25" fiberglass floats from HL would work well on the taylorcraft?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/floats.htm

-Jay
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite 85" Carbon-Z Cub
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
439 Posts
25" is the right length as long as they aren't too heavy. There are several posts earlier that show pictures for mounting and video. I did mine with blue foam with iron on covering.

Jaybird
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:43 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
2,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
25" is the right length as long as they aren't too heavy. There are several posts earlier that show pictures for mounting and video. I did mine with blue foam with iron on covering.

Jaybird
I've seen your's and like it. I don't know if I have the experience to fab something from scratch.

The HL floats are 11oz and that doesn't include mounting hardware. There's a fellow in our club who has made all kinds of WW1 and golden age landing gear from wire. I'd probably get him to help me out with a mount for it.

-Jay
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite 85" Carbon-Z Cub
Old Feb 04, 2009, 06:10 AM
hs1
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
The HL floats are a bit heavy for the Taylorcraft, as are the E-flite Beaver floats. Herr makes a float kit (balsa/built up) that weigh around 5 oz total for both. Kit is around $20 available through Sig, I think. These might be a little light, but could be beefed up.
I found some info on Wattflyer on the same subject. They found some floats that are built up 27" that look nice ($45). Here's the thread.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39056
pics of floats and Taylorcraft:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2117940
hs1 is offline Find More Posts by hs1
Old Feb 04, 2009, 03:33 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,628 Posts
Guys,
I purchased some Balsa floats from an add on here. They came built up and lightly sanded, but you needed to do the rest. I think they took about two weeks to arrive. In my blog, the most recent post, you can see the floats I added to my E-Flite MP. I put close to dozen(probably over kill) coats of polyurethane--sanding in between. and then serveral more coats of Rustoleum Silver for the water proofing.. I then used an additional landing gear bracket for the rear mounts...and off the snow, they work great. I've made 3 flights so far and have yet to see much of a noticable difference in the flight performance in my MP. Where I do notice it is on landing, the plane slows down faster and settles into a better(read as less flat) glide slope. I think depending on how these work this summer, I'll probably end up getting a set for my Taylorcraft for the following summer.

Here's the link to where I got my floats:
http://www.geocities.com/planefunfloats/
I purchased the 27" version.

Hope this helps!
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:22 PM
Suspended Account
San Jose, CA
Joined Feb 2008
276 Posts
Help, I just picked up a poor little taylorcraft that lost out in a mid-air today at the local flying field. Does anybody out there have a left wing they would be willing to part with? Minor tip damage is ok. Thanks! Robin
robinflyer is offline Find More Posts by robinflyer
Old Feb 05, 2009, 08:46 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,809 Posts
robin,
If you have no luck with a used one Horizon probably can get you a replacement. More expensive for sure but if the rest of the plane is okay might be worth it.
Gary
Old Feb 05, 2009, 11:08 AM
Suspended Account
San Jose, CA
Joined Feb 2008
276 Posts
Gary,
Thanks for the info. That was the first place I checked,$84.00!!! Found a couple on E-BAY, $80.00. The nose on this one got crunched pretty good but I've allready pieced it back together. Now I am trying to decide if I want to finish her like Duane Cole's or like a Swick-T. If I finish her like a Swick-T, the wing tips will be squared off. Allso the counter-balance's on the tail are going away to be more scale like.
Thanks-Robin
robinflyer is offline Find More Posts by robinflyer
Old Feb 14, 2009, 08:14 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2007
1,372 Posts
It was finally warm enough today (around 35F) with light enough winds to get in a flight with the Taylorcraft. I installed the battery at home, and good thing too, because it was (again) a major hassle. I'm using a 3S 2250 GForce pack, which sounds large, but is actually much shorter than my old ElectriFly 3S 2100 batteries. Anyway, it's difficult enough that I couldn't change packs at the park because my fingers were too cold.

The good news is that she flew well. Stall turns in particular were really fun. But even better was that after an eight minute flight of light aerobatics, I put back just under 800 mAh! I'm using a Scorpion 3008-32 with an APC-E 11x5.5 and am extremely happy with the performance and the low power draw. I think 15 minute flights should be no problem.

Daniel
dswitkin is offline Find More Posts by dswitkin
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:22 AM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
480 Posts
I never thought I would see a time where my little NIB stockpile fleet of three Taylorcrafts, I picked up when they first came out at $109, would do better than my 401K.
phoneguy is online now Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:10 AM
Old Bold Pilot
Holiday, Fl. USA
Joined Apr 2007
384 Posts
T-craft almost ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin
It was finally warm enough today (around 35F) with light enough winds to get in a flight with the Taylorcraft. I installed the battery at home, and good thing too, because it was (again) a major hassle. I'm using a 3S 2250 GForce pack, which sounds large, but is actually much shorter than my old ElectriFly 3S 2100 batteries. Anyway, it's difficult enough that I couldn't change packs at the park because my fingers were too cold.

The good news is that she flew well. Stall turns in particular were really fun. But even better was that after an eight minute flight of light aerobatics, I put back just under 800 mAh! I'm using a Scorpion 3008-32 with an APC-E 11x5.5 and am extremely happy with the performance and the low power draw. I think 15 minute flights should be no problem.

Daniel
Hi All
I'm almost ready to maiden mine on a ROUGH grass field. Have you guys had any trouble with that light gear mounting in the belly giving way with the gear? Shall I put vinyl bolts in place of the steel ones to save the fuse? Mine's got the Park 480 and 2100 Lipo, and my "guru" likes to power them in, so I'm wondering. It sure looks fragile ! Thanks,
Stan
Stan Richardson is offline Find More Posts by Stan Richardson
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:55 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,809 Posts
Stan,
I did what I do with all ARF's when assembling them. I drizzle thin CA on the landing gear mount and the motor box. Our field is grass and my T-Craft has 97 logged flights on it. It is on its 2nd set of landing gear due to a stall from about 4 feet up and a hard plop on the ground. You will find the gear is quite soft and bends before doing much damage to the airframe. You can straighten the gear but the paint pops off. I ordered new parts from Horizon. My plane still looks good and flies great!
Gary