Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:01 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,755 Posts
Does your lhs have anymore in stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay
Got mine earlier this week at the LHS... It's pretty much ready to go.. I'm waiting on an ESC for it. This is such a pretty plane.... I find myself sitting and looking at it a lot.

I'm thinking I may look for some "tundra tires" for it since the grass is pretty high at the club field. But the wheel pants look so nice.. heh These are good problems to have with a new plane.

Setup is some stuff I had laying around.. Park 480 1020kv, MAS 11x8 prop, Futaba S3110s on the ailerons, HS-55 on the elevator and HS-56HB on the rudder, Berg7... Looks like I'll either be using an Eflite Pro 40a ESC or ordering a Thunderbird 36 for it.

Everything *looks* straight... I don't have any fancy jigs to check it. I'll find out when I get it in the air.

The only complaint I have is I wish the tail was bolt on like the Mini Pulse.

I just glued the windows in... Once I put an ESC in and do the CG I'll be ready to maiden.

-Jay
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:02 PM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
897 Posts
CyberJay, I run a set of oversized tires on my T-craft. I think they are Dubro 1 3/4" or so. They do very well on the buffalo grass I fly off of. I never installed the stock tires or wheel pants.
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:30 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
Does your lhs have anymore in stock?
No but I think Scott ("TurboNut" here on RCG) at airland hobbies said he will have more in on Monday. I was going to order one from him, but when I was killing time in my LHS I saw they had one so I grabbed it.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Aug 09, 2008, 11:53 PM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
CyberJay,

Checking your wings:

If you have some straight metal rod or tube you can tape it to the bottom of each wing panel near the tip and sight down the wing. Just make sure you tape them so the rods/tubes sit the same on each panel. If they don't line up, stand the wing on it's tip holding it between your feet, twist the wing until the rods line up with one hand and use the heat gun with the other. I alternate top and bottom doing a little on each side so I don't bow the wing.

My wings have a bit of washout now since I matched the left panel to the right one which was warped with washout. I wonder if anyone elses wings have washout or if they should be zero degrees to the tips.
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:31 AM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planekrazee
I wonder if anyone elses wings have washout or if they should be zero degrees to the tips.
Being a high wing trainer like, I made sure it had a small equal amount of washout.
No issues with it like that.
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Can someone tell me what I'd need to mount the ParkZone 480 motor (from a T-28) in this plane??? Thanks.
psdx is offline Find More Posts by psdx
Old Aug 10, 2008, 01:28 PM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psdx
Can someone tell me what I'd need to mount the ParkZone 480 motor (from a T-28) in this plane??? Thanks.
An x mount, I believe: I both in the box, so I'd like to know, too!
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Old Aug 10, 2008, 01:32 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,050 Posts
You'd have to rebuild the motor box... Basically chop it off at the firewall, get some wood and start building. I had a spare PZ motor laying around so I snapped a pic for ya...

-Jay
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:50 PM
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Seems like I could just shorten the motor mount "box" and utilize the PZ plastic motor mount (from the T-28) to attach the PZ motor to have something to provide some "give" in the case of an unfortunate event... Looks like the thrust angle comes from this built up motor box, so that would mean great care is required in maintaining that.

Just checking - this PZ480 should fly this plane ok, correct?

BTW - the picture is VERY helpful - thank you.
psdx is offline Find More Posts by psdx
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:48 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psdx
Seems like I could just shorten the motor mount "box" and utilize the PZ plastic motor mount (from the T-28) to attach the PZ motor to have something to provide some "give" in the case of an unfortunate event... Looks like the thrust angle comes from this built up motor box, so that would mean great care is required in maintaining that.
Dunno what the PZ mount looks like but why not make a X-mount from 1/8"
aircraft ply to fit the motor box on the TC?

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
What CR said!
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:25 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
Dunno what the PZ mount looks like but why not make a X-mount from 1/8"
aircraft ply to fit the motor box on the TC?

CR
You can't just make an X mount because the motor is too long. See the pic i posted.

The bolt pattern on the PZ-480 is the same as the Power 10/15/25 so you could use any of their mounts, but that's only bolt holes... you do need to somehow shorten the motor box to get it all to fit under the cowl.

-Jay
Old Aug 11, 2008, 01:20 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay
You can't just make an X mount because the motor is too long. See the pic i posted.

you do need to somehow shorten the motor box to get it all to fit under the cowl.
-Jay
I saw the pic. The motor doesn't look to be all that much longer, plus it can be recessed into the plate. Also the cowl has some overlap as is. Maybe it can be moved forward a bit. I don't believe in wholesale cutting away until all other avenues have been explored. Not my airplane though. Not yours either, right?

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Aug 11, 2008, 03:25 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,755 Posts
I see HH has all the parts for the Taylorcraft in stock ($170) except there is no screws, control horns or manual. The kit is $140 so the price difference is not that much if I don't want to wait till the end of Aug which could also side into Sept.

I found the manual on line so the only thing it appears I would be missing is the screws ,control horns and linkages which are not a big deal.
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Last edited by bobf; Aug 11, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 04:09 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
I saw the pic. The motor doesn't look to be all that much longer, plus it can be recessed into the plate. Also the cowl has some overlap as is. Maybe it can be moved forward a bit. I don't believe in wholesale cutting away until all other avenues have been explored. Not my airplane though. Not yours either, right?

CR
I'm not making any suggestions about what anyone should do.. Only trying to help by providing facts about the two motors.

I measured. The difference between the firewall and prop would be 5/8ths of an inch, and that is assuming you build a thin X-mount with counter sunk screws and a hole in the middle to provide a recess for the collar on the rear of the motor's shaft.

-Jay