HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2008, 02:59 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,891 Posts
Put a little smaller prop on that 480 and let it run free. I use a 10x6 Master Airscrew and mine will pull out of a hover or climb vertically until I get tired of looking at it.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:23 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Anybody have (1) long term experience (more than 20 or so flights) with (2) all Hitec HS-55 servos on the T'cart?

Umm, mine is somewhere in the, 150+ flight range with HS-55's. No exaggeration either. Not an issue yet. Worried about HS-55's? Don't be. All my part flyers use em and they are nearly all high time flyers.

I find that if you treat your planes well, they wil treat you well.
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Aug 01, 2008, 06:19 AM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian
Just a little info for you guys looking for the talorcraft 450
I just received my new taylorcraft from 3D Hobby Shop.com The website said they still have 3 in stock for 109.00 wow what a great price for this plane better check it out before they are gone .
I just ordered one from 3D after having one on backorder with Horizon since the beginning of June and they kept pushing the arrival date back.

3D now shows they have two left.
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
I wish I read this before ordering a TaylorCraft. Looks like I should have just stayed with my mini pulse through the Taylorcraft looks nicer.
this is way off the mark. a low wing sporty .V. a high wing scale plane. now if you had a CUB then went to a Tcraft we would understand.
goldeneye007 is offline Find More Posts by goldeneye007
Old Aug 03, 2008, 05:55 PM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
I maidened my Taylorcraft today... what a smoooooth flying and attractive plane. My thanks to E-flite for making it, and to the 'early adopters' who let the rest of us know what a fine airplane this is. Thanks also to all those who posted useful info and helpful tips that allowed me to feel comfortable putting her up in the sky.

As a relative novice (this is my second plane) I'd recommend the TC450 to my peers who have outgrown their trainers are looking for something scale with steady flying characteristics and a bit of spirit. After all the 'hype' in this thread I worried it'd be a letdown, but instead it was better than imagined.

I'd also recommend it for those on a budget. While not cheap, you can plug and play discount equipment (I'm on a limited budget, using a Turnigy 2217 1050KV brushless outrunner and Plush 25A ESC, spinning a 10x5 e-prop, with power from a Zippy 2200 mAh 3S1P 20C) and still get great performance; the electrics stayed cool (only the ESC felt warmer than ambient temp, and only just...) and my flights went on so long it made me uneasy--so I pulled her down early. What an improvement over my 4-ch. pod & boom with its brushed motor and 1000 mAh NiMHs. This will take some getting used to, in an entirely good way.

Again, what a great plane. I'm very happy today.
rallison is offline Find More Posts by rallison
Old Aug 03, 2008, 06:10 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,891 Posts
rallison,
I have 65 flights on my T-Craft and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I fly it! Glad your maiden went well. It really is a great little plane!
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Aug 03, 2008, 06:16 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,755 Posts
I ordered one and payed by paypal but I have paypal take the money from my chequing account not knowing it can take a week for it to clear. Now they show 0 stock and my paypal still has not cleared. Bummer, I guess I wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian
Just a little info for you guys looking for the talorcraft 450
I just received my new taylorcraft from 3D Hobby Shop.com The website said they still have 3 in stock for 109.00 wow what a great price for this plane better check it out before they are gone .
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Old Aug 04, 2008, 02:45 PM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
Gary,

As soon as you place an order with them the stock goes down. I tried to call to confirm they had them in stock but I got the machine, then the phone was busy. Hopefully they really did have them in stock. The batteries are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I have seen this plane fly in 5-10 mph winds and it performed very well, not at all what I would have expected. It looks beautiful on the bench and in the air too.

I hope we get to see more scale electric planes that look this good and perform as well in the future.

I just received a tracking number for the shipment, it's on the way!!! I should receive it on Thursday.
Last edited by planekrazee; Aug 04, 2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 08:34 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,755 Posts
I see HH has gone from estimated delivery of mid Aug to late Aug. So I think I'll leave it till next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
I ordered one and payed by paypal but I have paypal take the money from my chequing account not knowing it can take a week for it to clear. Now they show 0 stock and my paypal still has not cleared. Bummer, I guess I wait!
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Old Aug 08, 2008, 08:18 PM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
Received my tc 450 yesterday and started assembly today.

The wings are warped 4 degrees measured 5" in from the wing tips with a Robart incidence meter, over a 1/2" twist tip to tip. I'll try to use the covering to bring it back but it may require steaming the structure. A friend checked his kit and his wing is twisted 3 degrees.
Last edited by planekrazee; Aug 08, 2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2008, 07:57 AM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
I must have been lucky because mine was not warped whatsoever! Sounds like the 2nd production run (or is this the 3rd one now?) has some quality control problems.

Headed out to the airfield in a little while to get some flights in on mine.
bronicabill is offline Find More Posts by bronicabill
Old Aug 09, 2008, 12:00 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronicabill
Sounds like the 2nd production run (or is this the 3rd one now?) has some quality control problems.
Looks like Horizon is having problems with their manufacturer
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=69

Repeated centerwing failures while in flight
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=64

And trying to look the other way. It's cheaper than replacing all the kits sold.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=71
Ed
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker
Last edited by Holtenbacker; Aug 09, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2008, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,153 Posts
lol wing warp is almost a dead sert. but how about this for Q control straight from the factory. i know they were trying to get them out quick. (1st batch)but this is going way to far.
goldeneye007 is offline Find More Posts by goldeneye007
Old Aug 09, 2008, 08:26 PM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
Got the warp out of the wing. My plane has a patch piece about half way down the fuselage but it looks ok. This plane does not represent the quality I had originally seen but for $109.00 it's ok and hopefully will fly as well as the one I saw.
Old Aug 09, 2008, 08:58 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,052 Posts
Got mine earlier this week at the LHS... It's pretty much ready to go.. I'm waiting on an ESC for it. This is such a pretty plane.... I find myself sitting and looking at it a lot.

I'm thinking I may look for some "tundra tires" for it since the grass is pretty high at the club field. But the wheel pants look so nice.. heh These are good problems to have with a new plane.

Setup is some stuff I had laying around.. Park 480 1020kv, MAS 11x8 prop, Futaba S3110s on the ailerons, HS-55 on the elevator and HS-56HB on the rudder, Berg7... Looks like I'll either be using an Eflite Pro 40a ESC or ordering a Thunderbird 36 for it.

Everything *looks* straight... I don't have any fancy jigs to check it. I'll find out when I get it in the air.

The only complaint I have is I wish the tail was bolt on like the Mini Pulse.

I just glued the windows in... Once I put an ESC in and do the CG I'll be ready to maiden.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay