HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:03 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Just a little info for you guys looking for the talorcraft 450
I just received my new taylorcraft from 3D Hobby Shop.com The website said they still have 3 in stock for 109.00 wow what a great price for this plane better check it out before they are gone .
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:37 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,740 Posts
Will a 11" prop fit on the Taylorcraft or is 10" the max?
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:43 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,740 Posts
I wish I read this before ordering a TaylorCraft. Looks like I should have just stayed with my mini pulse through the Taylorcraft looks nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyrush
I have both if you want my $0.02 ... mini Pulse I put in the recommended Park 450, a Park 480 in the Tcraft. The Tcraft ... flies better coordinated (ie., needs a little rudder), any bank past about 35-40 deg and the nose drops like a rock, it rolls and loops fine, looks great on slow fly-bys. Do I do much more with it than that? Not really. With it's straight and short-ish wing it requires a little bit of attention, but not bad.

The mini Pulse ... I enjoy it much more. I don't even need to touch the rudder, seems to fly so smooth you'd think you were watching a river of chocolate. Yet if you want to have fun with it, it can give it to ya' without any worries. Tight horizontal figure 8s, loops and rolls of course, hammerheads, etc. It never seems to be uncoordinated, stalls are straight and soft (never stalled the Tcraft, sorry, can't compare there) if you can get it to stall.

Maybe it's just me, but if I want to really relax yet have a little fun - I'd fly the mini Pulse in a second. Tcraft makes me think, which I don't always feel like doing, if that makes sense. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:29 AM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
I've been using a XOAR 11x5 prop from the get go. Works great and I land on a bumpy grass/dirt field.
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:48 AM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
I wish I read this before ordering a TaylorCraft. Looks like I should have just stayed with my mini pulse through the Taylorcraft looks nicer.
then just fly the pulse and sell th T-Craft! I love my T-Craft for relaxing flying and with a 480 and a 11X6 it does everthing I ask it to and more
moogly is offline Find More Posts by moogly
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:50 AM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
11X 6 woks for me 15 min flight times and plenty of power with a 480 2200mah
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:59 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,740 Posts
Are you using the stock wheels and wheel pants on the grass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootman
I've been using a XOAR 11x5 prop from the get go. Works great and I land on a bumpy grass/dirt field.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:18 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Anybody have (1) long term experience (more than 20 or so flights) with (2) all Hitec HS-55 servos on the T'cart?
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:36 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,876 Posts
Sisyphus,
Checked my log book and I now have 57 flights on my T-Craft. Due to its size and power, Eflite 480 1020kv, Master Airscrew 10x6 prop and various 2200mah Lipos, I chose to use HS65 servos. 55's might be a little fragile for this size plane. Maybe someone else can add some info.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:39 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Thanks! Still flying the Decathlon? I couldn't kill mine, so I gave it away! I'm looking forward to flying this one as I flew T'Carts years ago when I could still see and hear!
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:18 AM
Joined Dec 2007
40 Posts
In many thanks to this thread, jaybird, and all of the others who posted , I wish to post my experances on my completed Taylor Craft that now has 25 + filghts. I welcome any and all comments from the more advance flyers on getting even more out of he TC too.

First off, for form and function the TC is at the top of my favorites list ( tied with the DC-3 ) . I just had to get this plane when I saw it. I read this tread from start to finish many times and instituted several adjustments including the wonderful battery tray Ė I highly recommend it. Also, I took the advice making new holes for the struts on the wings. Some folks have broken the struts trying to force them into the pre-drilled holes from the factory so, after getting the struts screwed in on the fuse, I just lined them up so they were parallel with each other and made new holes with a hand drill for the contact points on the wings. There is a good amount of wood there and the pre-drilled holes where about 1/8 different but still covered up by the strut wood.
The flights I have are 10 to 12 minutes long with about 40% of the battery left unused. I have my control surfaces adjusted to roughly those recommended in the book for hi and low ( the middle setting below is just in the middle because my radio has triple rates) and my radio settings set as follows:

Aliron
HI: 120 % expo 25 %
Medium: 86 % expo 25%
Low: 60% expo 25 %

Elevator:
HI: 140 % expo 30 %
Medium: 110 % expo 30%
Low: 85% expo 30 %

Rudder:
HI: 100 % expo 35 %
Medium: 85 % expo 35%
Low: 75% expo 35 %

Note: I have only flown on the high rates twice and I think more adjustments are forthcoming so these are really just my starting points.

I find the rudder to be very sensitive ( note the expo number on the rudder ) in flight and still really only use it moderately in the turns and on take off when required Ė although I have yet to ďspin outĒ as some folks have had an issue with. I just point it into the wind and go most of the time.
I love the scale take offs and landings although on our grass field, the wheel paints make it want to flip over if the grass is not cut short. This is in fact the only problem Iíve had and itís not really the aircrafts fault as I refuse to remove the wheel paints. On those high grass days Iíve had people just bump it to get it rolling or, in one case I had a fellow hand launch it! I donít advise this and while it worked out ok I wasnít very comfortable with it.

I have flown in wind but can not see myself ever pushing past 10mph or so. This maybe just me but I get nervous when it starts ďbouncingĒ up and down in wind gusts.
With the motor I choose I can climb straight up, while rolling, until she is almost out of sight. As soon as I start the high G maneuvers itís inevitable, one of the older guys at the field will yell ď Iíve never seen a TC do that! ď O well, to make my point, I can get this bird do most any maneuver and even make it knife edge if the wind is calm.

I did not intentionally buy all of these components at difference places, I did just acquire them over time when I found good deals and then when I received my TC last year, I picked the best parts that I had on hand to complete the aircraft.

Futaba 7C - receiver mounted just behind the rudder and elevator servos with velcro.

Battery: HXT D9 G3 2200mAh 3S 20-32C lipo pack
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2045

Servos: Futaba S3114 Micro HT Servo
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNCV6
I donít recommend these Ė they are a tad to long and a slight modification to the mounting procedure is required, itís not difficult but, itís one more step youíll have to do.

Motor: GH2814-08 Brushless Outrunner Motor
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ords=GH2814-08
The ESC is a 40 amp also from Grayson I believe because I think they came as a package.

10 x 6 cherry wood prop

I was going to take photos but honestly, other then the pilot I added, it looks just like all of the other TCís in this thread
I love this plane. It is super fun to fly and Iím extremely happy with it as my second plane.
Flying Pez is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pez
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:47 AM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Anybody have (1) long term experience (more than 20 or so flights) with (2) all Hitec HS-55 servos on the T'cart?
I was never able to get 20 flights on HS55s they always striped so now I run HS65s there so much better i'll never go back to HS 55s there to light with the nylon gears
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:02 PM
What could go wrong?
Dayton , Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
19 Posts
I have been flying my Taylorcraft for over a month. I went with a different power set up. I used Heads Up RC.com
I used his 3530-10 motor,32 amp ESC and his 2250 3 cell lipo battery. He sells 9 gram servos for about $6.00. Have not had one problem. The plane has unlimited verticle. You don't have to use it, but it kind of fun when someone say " Scale planes are ok, just boring because they can not do any thing. Nice long flights and it's a pretty plane in the air according to the wife.
lowbubba is offline Find More Posts by lowbubba
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:44 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,876 Posts
Sisyphus,
Decathlon is still flying with over 75 flights! I was going to sell it but decided not to as I tend to get attached to my planes. My T-Craft is a "go-to" for some easy relaxed flying. It is also used for breaking in new lipos for my EDF's.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:56 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
My TC is from the first run production.
75+ Flights, still has all original equipment

EFlite 480, Castle ESC 25A (equipment on hand)
Apc-e 12x6 (yeah I know, thats what I had, it works fine)
Polyquest 20C 2100 3S1P LiPo
All HS-55 (none have stripped gears)
1 3/4" DuBro black spinner
12 - 18 minute flights

Mostly flown from 1st to 2nd base as a runway and some from grass
Short grass as it has the wheel pants.
Takeoff is normally about 1/2 throttle. I let the taill come up and then it
will lift off on it's own. If I want a faster lift off, I give a little up elevator.
I will use the elevator for the climb out as it will lift off but not climb out of the ground effect with the elevator at neutral..

I've done repeated outside loops while flying inverted. I've also done hovers for about 20 seconds, but it will not climb out of it vertically. Almost unlimited vertical, as long as I don't stop along the way to hover.I enjoy the most doing scale take offs, flying slow about 1/2 throttle and doing tail up landings (2 wheel).
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker
Last edited by Holtenbacker; Jul 31, 2008 at 02:02 PM.