SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2008, 10:06 AM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogly
That work but I have the mix on a switch so it can be turned off and I do the have one mix with opposite ail-rudder and it is nice
<<snip>>
While I'll certainly never bash anybody for using aileron to rudder mixing (sometimes it's VERY helpful such as if you're flying a 3M sailplane in a thermal at a great distance and can't see it well enough to do coordinated turns manually), I personally prefer not to. I like to FLY the airplane, not just steer it around the sky.

While electronic mixing most certainly does have it's place in aerobatic aircraft and helicopters, I think it has gone a long way in reducing many people's flying skills. People have become so dependent on mixing that they can't seem to fly an airplane properly without it! I'd be willing to bet that over half the people at my local airplane flying site (I specify airplanes because I also fly helis at a separate site, and they MUST use their rudder control to fly) only touch the left stick for taxiing and takeoff. After that it rarely if ever gets touched until it's time to land! They just fly full-bore around the sky making uncoordinated turns and such. While there is no harm in doing that, there also is no improvement in their flying skills, especially in adverse conditions. Just ask them to sideslip on final and watch their faces turn white!

Learning to fly helicopters is one of the best things I ever did because it taught me to actually use that left stick while in flight. Before that, I did just what the vast majority of others do... steer the airplane around the sky at full-bore!

P.S. Sorry this got so long-winded!
bronicabill is offline Find More Posts by bronicabill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2008, 10:39 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
To each his own: I have over 4,000 IMC hours in aircraft and attitude instrument flight is my "specialty." However, at this stage I'm much more comfortable with computer "mixing" and it is helping bridge the gap to use of the left stick for rudder in the air, too!

If God didn't want me to use mixing, he would not have given it to me!
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Old Jul 03, 2008, 10:47 AM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
Heh, heh, heh... point taken!

Like I said, I'll never bash anyone else for using mixing. I was just expressing my own personal opinion. And that's all it is, an opinion... nothing more.
Old Jul 03, 2008, 10:57 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Well, as "they" (the eminent authority) say, everyone has "at least one."
Old Jul 03, 2008, 11:09 AM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Well, as "they" (the eminent authority) say, everyone has "at least one."
Yeah, and some of us have a whole lot more! Don't worry, I won't dump them ALL on you at once!!!
Old Jul 03, 2008, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Fire away!
Old Jul 03, 2008, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,156 Posts
this is for all the RC plane flier's in the UK. in the uk this year the weather has been bad. and at my local club the windsock has pretty much stayed at 90 degrees this year. so not a lot of flying has gone on. well today i said to myself i need to fly so i took the TC to the field and the sock was straight out with plenty of big gusts. now i have only had 3 flights with the TC LOL. but it took off very well it also took the gusts pretty good. and the landings went good considering that the wind loves to move the tail around quite a bit on this plane. and even though the wind got up a bit more i had another 2 flights with some touch and goes. i would say the way it flies makes up for the faults i found while building it.
goldeneye007 is offline Find More Posts by goldeneye007
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:41 AM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
e_airman,
I have a Hitec HS65 on each aileron. The plane is designed for a two servo setup. Depending on which radio you are using one servo goes on the AIL channel on the Rx and the other in my case on AUX1.

I do not use flaperons. I don't like them on ailerons of any type that are out on the wingtip, full span or not, as they can increase the tendency to tip stall. With just a touch of throttle the plane flies so slowly nose up that flaps are IMO not necessary.
Gary

Do you know the theoretical reason for tip flaperon-induced tip stall?

Thanks
Jim
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,930 Posts
Jim,
With computer transmitters you can setup and run different scenarios quite easily, especially if you put them on a switch. The Taylorcraft is quite stable under normal conditions but applying about 15 degrees of flap on those ailerons makes the wingtip stall before the center section due to the angle of attack. If possible set it up on your Tx and give it a try about 3 mistakes high while simulating a turn to final on a slow landing approach. I did and then decided no flaperons for this plane. You do need a calm day to really evalute this condition.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
Jim,
With computer transmitters you can setup and run different scenarios quite easily, especially if you put them on a switch. The Taylorcraft is quite stable under normal conditions but applying about 15 degrees of flap on those ailerons makes the wingtip stall before the center section due to the angle of attack. If possible set it up on your Tx and give it a try about 3 mistakes high while simulating a turn to final on a slow landing approach. I did and then decided no flaperons for this plane. You do need a calm day to really evalute this condition.
Gary

Thanks Gary, much appreciated.

Jim
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:55 AM
Roseville, CA
Joined May 2005
249 Posts
There are several videos on RC Universe. Try this link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64..._4/key_/tm.htm
unloco2 is offline Find More Posts by unloco2
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:58 AM
Roseville, CA
Joined May 2005
249 Posts
Video wiyh skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan
Has anyone be able to locate video of this plane?
Try this link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64..._4/key_/tm.htm
unloco2 is offline Find More Posts by unloco2
Old Jul 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Hi !

In the next 2 weeks my Taylor will be landing home. I am now trying to find what i need. I ve already made my choices concerning motor, esc and servo, but i have a question for you for the prop. I want to go with a wooden one Master Airscrew preferably. Any thoughts of what diam should i go for ?

Thanks guys
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Jul 13, 2008, 05:43 PM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
Depends on what motor you're using... the bigger diameter the better, but the motor will limit that (or ground clearance will if the motor's too big). I chose the Park 450 power package as recommended by E-Flite, and the E-Flite 10x8E, and it's perfect. I've experimented with quite a few other props, but none of them give the same amount of pull as the E-Flite 10x8E, AND I get better runtime with it too!

If I had chosen a different power package, I'm sure that wouldn't be the best prop!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 08:27 PM
Re-incarnated Heli Pilot
United States, NC, Morganton
Joined Jun 2007
105 Posts
12x6 Zinger

A Turnigy 35-30c (1100Kv) on my Taylor pulls great with a 12x6 Zinger (wood) prop, draws 24A through a 40A esc at 8700 rpm using a 3s1p 2200ma 20c LiPo. Gives very scale-like performance, about 12mph max winds.
CeeJay047 is offline Find More Posts by CeeJay047