Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
439 Posts
I use 20% on the ailerons and 30% on the elevator. Experiment and see what works.
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:47 PM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
I use 20% on the ailerons and 30% on the elevator. Experiment and see what works.
Those are good starting points, though I would increase the ailerons slightly to 25%. Also, I found the rudder to be VERY sensitive on the take-off roll, and extremely powerful in flight, so I put 40% expo on my rudder and it feels great!

For those who never use the rudder in flight, or don't know what it is, you may omit that setting...
bronicabill is offline Find More Posts by bronicabill
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
40 Posts
wow - glad I asked! I had everything set between 15 to 20.
Good to go now - winds are out of the south from 2 - 4 tomorrow, should be a nice morning to maiden her.
Will report back.
Thanks again for the help - and this thread.
Flying Pez is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pez
Old Jul 01, 2008, 09:50 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,682 Posts
Can you remove the wings struts on each trip to the field without waring out the mounting holes?
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
Old Jul 01, 2008, 10:11 PM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronicabill
Those are good starting points, though I would increase the ailerons slightly to 25%. Also, I found the rudder to be VERY sensitive on the take-off roll, and extremely powerful in flight, so I put 40% expo on my rudder and it feels great!

For those who never use the rudder in flight, or don't know what it is, you may omit that setting...
I use 30% 20% expo on the ailirons and mix the ail to rudder it makes a nice flat scale turn.
and helps kick the tail around without so much loss of altitude
moogly is offline Find More Posts by moogly
Old Jul 01, 2008, 10:13 PM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
Can you remove the wings struts on each trip to the field without waring out the mounting holes?
if you hardend them with ca they come in and out easy I just take the one off the fuse one screw each
Old Jul 01, 2008, 10:18 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,682 Posts
Now I just have to find one.
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
Old Jul 01, 2008, 10:39 PM
Joined Dec 2007
40 Posts
Sweet!

Well the expo mix ( 25% aileron 30% elevator 35 % rudder ) worked great!
Straight out of the gate she needed just 3 clicks right aileron and that was it! The first flight I took it easy getting to know the aircraft, that flight lasted 6 minutes. The second flight was a little longer and I did rolls, loops, Split Sís and almost pulled a knife edge but that one is going to take more practice and some tweaked settings. Both times, the 2200 batt. was only half used.
I wanted to see how much power it had so I went straight up and nailed the throttle Ė it started going too fast for me so I applied full left aileron to slow her down and she just kept climbing straight up! I finally just cut the motor and for the next few minutes glided back and forth across the field on zero power. From take off to landing I was on low rates the whole time.
I LOVE THIS PLANE! Iím new to this hobby so I donít have much to compare it to and the only thing I noticed is that she does seem to drag her tail around in the turns but, I really enjoy the rudder flying thing so I can either do it manually or mix some rudder in on my radio.
As a ďthanks for this threadĒ, Iím going to post all the parts I used as this is not a standard build out I ( I used different servos and motor then everyone else here so far ) to give everyone some other options when builder theirs.
Flying Pez is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pez
Old Jul 02, 2008, 07:32 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,823 Posts
Flying Pez,
This is a perfect plane to learn to coordinate rudder with aileron when doing turns. This is standard practice in full-scale aircraft and a skill that can serve you well in RC. I have observed that once in the air many RCers never touch the rudder unless they are 3D flyers. Practice a bit and it will come quite easily. If you are concerned practice about 2 or 3 mistakes high
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 02, 2008, 08:35 PM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogly
I use 30% 20% expo on the ailirons and mix the ail to rudder it makes a nice flat scale turn.
and helps kick the tail around without so much loss of altitude
I don't like to mix aileron and rudder because there are times, such as landing in a crosswind, that I do not want the rudder to track the ailerons. Plus, I tend to fly my T-Craft the same way I did full-scale... initiate the turn with ailerons and rudder, then maintain the turn with rudder while holding a bit of opposite aileron to keep the bank angle from increasing. The T-Craft does absolutely beautiful scale-looking turns this way! If I had aileron to rudder mixing I couldn't do that.
Old Jul 03, 2008, 04:22 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
1,563 Posts
Quote:
I don't like to mix aileron and rudder because there are times, such as landing in a crosswind, that I do not want the rudder to track the ailerons. Plus, I tend to fly my T-Craft the same way I did full-scale... initiate the turn with ailerons and rudder, then maintain the turn with rudder while holding a bit of opposite aileron to keep the bank angle from increasing. The T-Craft does absolutely beautiful scale-looking turns this way! If I had aileron to rudder mixing I couldn't do that.

I fly my T-Craft and other planes the same way. They all have working rudders. With my J3 Cub and T-Craft, I forward slip and side slip in cross wind landings. I especially use the forward slip to lose altitude without gaining air speed.
Taylorman is offline Find More Posts by Taylorman
Old Jul 03, 2008, 06:42 AM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
That work but I have the mix on a switch so it can be turned off
and I do the have one mix with opposite ail-rudder and it is nice
its a great plane its so nice and simple to grab when I don't have room for the beaver and just want some quick fun flying
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:18 AM
Joined Jun 2008
2 Posts
does this plane need to have the wing struts on if i take them of will it be ok as they seem to twist the wing a bit when they are on
foxman500 is offline Find More Posts by foxman500
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hallowell, Maine
Joined Jan 2002
439 Posts
The wing structure is strong enough without them I think. The struts are for a more scale look, but can cause a twist if the predrilled hole positions are off (they were slightly in mine). You can always redrill the mounting holes so that they fall into a neutral position and don't pull.

Jaybird
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:52 AM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
Personally I would redrill the strut holes to make them fit and use the struts. There's something very weird looking about a Tcraft without wing struts! And, if you decide to do some aerobatics, it is more comforting to have the struts in place. While I *think* the wing is strong enough without struts for what I've done with the plane so far, I don't want to find out the hard way when it folds coming down out of a loop! I've folded one wing in my life and DON'T want it to happen to my beautiful little Tcraft!