Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
New Product
E-flite Taylorcraft 450

Hey Guys,

Check Out this Badboy!!!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdId=EFL2625

Ski's,Floats--the possibilites are endless!!!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
All Glory to HypnoToad!
New Plymouth, ID
Joined Apr 2005
288 Posts
Good looking plane. Nice detail (none too light though I'm sure).

I would be curious how it looks "just out of the box". How ARF it really is.

Rod

I suppose it's the 46" span and 31 ounces listed as a "parkflyer" that got my attention
osmenthe is offline Find More Posts by osmenthe
Last edited by osmenthe; Sep 27, 2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I stopped reading, and lost all interest in this plane when I got to the 29-31 ounce weight with a 46" wing.

29-31 ounces? What it is built out of, 3/4" plywood and 2x4's???

Chuck

Wing Span: 46 in (1170mm)
Overall Length: 36 in (915mm)
Wing Area: 370 sq in (23.8 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 2931 oz (820880 g)
Motor Size: Park 450 BL Outrunner, 980 Kv
Radio: 6 channels with 4 sub-micro servos
Servos: (4) S75 Sub-Micro servos
Trim Scheme Colors: UltraCote Cream and Dark Red
CG (center of gravity): 2-3/8" (60mm) to 2-7/8" (73mm) back from the leading edge of the wing
Prop Size: E-flite 10x8E electric prop
Hardware Included: yes
Speed Control : 2040 Amp brushless
Recommended Battery: 3S 11.1V 2100mAh Li-Po
Scale: Park Flyer
Approx. Assembly Time: 46 horus
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Guys did you notice it also has a complete cockpit--cloth seats and the such--also wheel pants aka weight you can throw out if you want. If its anything like the latest eflite planes (Mini Pulse, Fun X, Extra 260, and Showtime Mini) You wont be dissapointed
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:08 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
If its anything like the latest eflite planes (Mini Pulse, Fun X, Extra 260, and Showtime Mini) You wont be dissapointed
Having had experience with a couple of those I'll agree with 800mZero. Eflites offerings have improved significantly in the last year.

Yup, definitely a possibility for floats.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
All Glory to HypnoToad!
New Plymouth, ID
Joined Apr 2005
288 Posts
Yes there are extras. but...

My Super Cub has another 2" on WS, I'm running an 8 cell NiMh, is one SOLID block of foam(pretty much) and still only comes in at 25oz AUW. And yes, that's heavy for a parkflyer.

There's something pretty heavy in there. If it's not the cloth covered seats, then what?

Don't get me wrong! It's a beautiful scale plane!

Rod
osmenthe is offline Find More Posts by osmenthe
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:49 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
498 Posts
Duane Cole is looking down from his cloud at this aircraft and grinning ear to ear. It is looks like beautiful aircraft. I will have to get a few, one for me, my father, and one for a back up. I can't want to do some "energy management aerobatics. If the wingtips were capped it would be just like my Swick Taylorcraft I built from Model Airplane News plans back in the 90's...except for all the time I put into it. (6 months off and on)
phoneguy is offline Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:52 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,713 Posts
Anyone notice it's missing the tail wheel in the inflight shots?
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:58 PM
Joined Sep 2006
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Yup, definitely a possibility for floats.
Do you think GWS floats will be enough for this plane? Those are 20" long.
DaveInLA is offline Find More Posts by DaveInLA
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:02 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
498 Posts
The tail will only be on the ground for just a little while. It is like taxiing with the brakes on. Instructor, why does it take full throttle to taxi?
phoneguy is offline Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Anyone notice it's missing the tail wheel in the inflight shots?
Looks like in the first couple of inflight shots the tailwheel is there. It is definitely missing in the rest of the pictures. By the way I really like how the Taylorcraft looks in the picture of it inverted.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:20 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Being a T-Craft nut I had to check this out..... clearly a clipped wing version and some liberties taken with outlines. For example, the distinctive lower fuselage curve is only barely there, and the elevator and rudder have projections forward of the hinge lines that are NOT on the full scale.

That said, it's not so much that it's not still unmistakably a T-Craft. It will be interesting to see these in the field - but not until December it says on the Horizon site.

A nearly two lb. plane is pushing it to be called a "park flyer" though. They don't call it that, I see.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:37 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Do you think GWS floats will be enough for this plane? Those are 20" long.
If you use the formula that the late Chuck Cunningham published in RCM many years ago, you need to have a float length of approximately 75% to 80% of the measurement from the back of the prop to the rudder post. I'll make an educated guess that this measurement is probably going to be somewhere around 33" based on the overall length of 36" in the specs section. So 75% of 33" is about 24" (23.75" to be exact) which means the GWS floats will be a little short. Another important item to keep in mind is that you want to locate the step of the float at, or slightly behind the center of gravity (no more than 1/2"). You also want a few inches of the float to extend in front of the prop so the plane won't nose over when you advance the throttle or if you splash down a little hard. I have used this formula for years on many kit built and scratch built floatplanes and all have performed great. No issues getting off the water at all. Here is a link to Chucks article for more info.

http://www.seminolerc.com/EZ-Float-Design.html
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:00 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
A nearly two lb. plane is pushing it to be called a "park flyer" though. They don't call it that, I see.
i agree she's getting on the big and heavy side for park flying...the first sentence in the second paragraph of the overview does refer to her as a parkflyer...her lines and the color scheme has me mesmerized...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Sep 28, 2007, 08:18 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Looks like in the first couple of inflight shots the tailwheel is there. It is definitely missing in the rest of the pictures. By the way I really like how the Taylorcraft looks in the picture of it inverted.

Seems like 6 out of 8 pics of the plane flying show a missing wheel. Providing I can still count these days. Whoops, I wonder if they'll fix that? All because of me. Either way, beautiful plane. I already have one on back order with the LHS.

One thing that will be a real treat is the flight times. My Mini Pulse with a 450, 10X8 prop and 2100 mah prolite routinely gave me a 20+ min flight(shame I sold all my 450's to get 480's). Now with a little luck we'll get similar numbers with a nice scale looking flyer. I'm glad I heald off (read as: I'm lazy ) buying some other planes.

NoFlyZone: The plane has nearly 4' wing span and a 3' fuse length-In your opinion-what should it's AUW be? Don't get me wrong, I think a 450 is going to be little under powered..but the plane is more for scale---it's a not a 3D aerobat.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Last edited by Dora Nine; Sep 28, 2007 at 08:30 AM.