HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2007, 05:40 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Help!
Help me find this boat!! High Speed Patrol Boat in Hong Kong Harbor

Ok here is a challenge for you guys who know military boats.

I was in Hong Kong recently just hanging out on the viewing platform next to the Star Ferry terminal. I heard a roaring sound and waited to see what was coming. The next thing I see is a long probably 45+ foot deep-v High Speed Patrol boat, all dark gray, with a cockpit that was covered and the driver was wearing a helmet with what looked like an oxygen mask like a fighter pilot. The exhaust was coming out the right side of the hull near the back and there where two large dia pipes exiting at an angle aft but flush with the hull. This thing sounded so mean! He drove between some tug boats and a ferry and then opened it up headed south east towards the Naval base I think. This boat looked like it was a race boat turned military. I have been searching for any images I can find and have not seen one yet. I just want to know what heck it is I saw and maybe make a scale model of it.

Any ideas, leads or images will be appreciated, TIA!

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:52 PM
SoAl
Joined Mar 2007
247 Posts
Chris, unless you have a picture, or find one, there is no telling what it was. There are so many boat builders these days one can't keep up with them. What you described sounds like a typical race configuraion with a canopy, helmets and supplied air. Most race organazations require supplied air for canopy boats in the event of roll over. This is a 38 Fountain that runs in the Super Vee class. Not the fastest class, but quick all the same. The Miccosukee 30 boat set the new class Kilo record back in August at 115.000 mph.
RhumbLine is offline Find More Posts by RhumbLine
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:45 PM
master boat slacker
USA, NY, Mastic Beach
Joined Feb 2006
574 Posts
115.000 mph. is scary fast on the water
bigford is offline Find More Posts by bigford
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:05 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,581 Posts
Chris,

I know what boat you are referring to as I've seen them on the harbor myself while in Hong Kong several years ago & immediately thought of Crocket & Tubs of Miami Vice. Many of the smaller official & commerical watercraft used in HKG & Guangdong Province are of Australian origin, but I wouldn't be surprised if its Chinese with the recent strides in the local marine industry.

On a side note, I spotted a very stealthy pair of naval trimarans at a local shipyard last week while crossing Shanghai's Xupu Bridge that resembled some of the new USN multihulls that are coming online. They were painted in a funky gray & blue cammo pattern just like the PLN's bdu fatigues. I wish I could have stopped & taken a photo, but don't relish getting thrown in a local jail!

Here's the link I've found that sheds more on this new vessel along with a couple photos. PLN Stealth Trimaran Let me know if anyone can locate the plans for this boat!

Chuck
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
Last edited by herrmill; Sep 27, 2007 at 03:49 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:35 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Hello Chris, are you talking about this one ?

and this...............

Regards,

Douglas
Douglas is offline Find More Posts by Douglas
Last edited by Douglas; Sep 27, 2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:22 AM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,123 Posts
Here are a couple of old vacation pics.
1.) White Star ferry
2.) Hydrofoil that runs from HK to Macau. These are fast......
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:21 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Hi Chuck and Douglas,

You guys are on the right track. Chuck if you spot that boat and happen to get a shot or two I would love to see more details. On the map of the Hong Kong area I noticed a Naval base on the island and I think from the direction he was going that was his destination.
Douglas, that looks about right. I would love to be able to confirm thats the boat. If I saw the exhaust pipes I know I would recognize it. Maybe Douglas can confirm it as well, Ive only seen this boat one time and for a few seconds. I didnt notice the police markings on the one I saw either.

Thats cool...more pics!!

Chris
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Hi Chris,

You are right, there is a naval base just on the west side of the Kowloon Pennisula. However, that naval base belongs to PRC navy and local police wouldn't or would not be allowed to use it. The speed will only approach local police marine bases, where are all over the places.

That one is a police patrol boat, 100% import. Some twenty years ago gangsters from China, and Hong Kong as well, used similar kind of speed boat to smuggle goods or even people across the border. Law enforcer here was not able to catch them because of the vast difference in speed. Somehow the British Marines risked their lives and jumped onto those speed boats from the Marines' RHIB. The Marines got one or two of the speed boats and after that, they painted the Hong Kong logo onto the captured speed boats and used them to catch other speed boats. Since then, we looked for speed boats and this is out latest imported model.

Here is some more information I found :

Marine Talk

Janes

Marine Australia Databases, Press Release, almost to the bottom

Regards,

Douglas
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:16 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Great, that has to be the one I guess. I do remember the exhaust pipes coming from the right side towards rear of the boat hull just above the water line. There were 2 large diameter pipes, water cooled, and exited at an angle. I dont see those on the Damen boat. Could it be another one or type exists?

That hull from the side view looks like a Fountain boat like the one in Miami Vice the TV show. Like your story suggests they captured an ex-smuggler boat and converted it to police/military use. If this is a new boat maybe Damen used a Fountain as a starting point since it worked well for the Police Dept. Who knows...?

Chris
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:42 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Nope its the one! Sweet..this boat is so cool...I'm happy I got to hear it in person.

http://www.konradmarine.com/index.html

I can see in a pic on the Konrad site it has the two side exh pipes.

Chris
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:34 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,581 Posts
Very cool & Made in the Good Ol USA!!!
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:11 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
So, mission accomplished.

Regards,

Douglas
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:51 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Jeeeze. You guys can come up with anything. Anyone have a picture of Noah's ark? Very impressive boat and pictures.
Now how about a model boat with a model airplane turbine in it? Do we have a transmission to hook to something like that? Interesting. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:52 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
when last I looked, there was at least one turbo shaft engine on the market (for helis), and a couple of turbine hydros(not for sale). but who wants to spend $5000 usd for a model boat motor?
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:11 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Yep go to MHZ's site and see the turbine powered boats.
Or you can go to yutube and look it up.

Yeah mission accomplished....thanks so much!

Chris