HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:24 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
NexStar Battery Packs

Hi,

The NexStar comes wired for two power battery packs. You either need two 8 cell NiCd/Nmhd (9.6V) or one 3S and one 2S (Total of 5S) LiPo packs. There are two Dean's Ultra connectors wired in the NexStar and you just plug one pack into each and you're ready to fly.

There is a separate receiver pack that powers the receiver that is included with the package. What you need to remember is to check your receiver battery with an expanded scale volt meter(has a load built in) or with a regular voltage meter with some kind of load( ~20 Ohms will draw 250mA). A fully charged 4 cell pack should read 4.8V. Anything less than 4.4V under load you should think about re-charging.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:39 PM
United States, ID, Post Falls
Joined Mar 2008
16 Posts
Nexstar qeustions

I have some qeustions about the Nextstar Select EP. Just got a new one, and new to thr RC flying. Hope to learn from some experienced flers. I did post a qeustion under the general airplanes thread in hopes to find a answer about the offset motor mount. Hope to hear from the experienced.

I'll need help with the forums also I'm new to this. Thanks for you patience.
AeroWolff is offline Find More Posts by AeroWolff
Last edited by AeroWolff; Mar 26, 2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 05:46 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
Hi AW,

If you are talking about the motor/propeller being offset to the right, this is called right thrust. This help correct the "p-factor" which is due to the swirling air coming off the prop that tries to yaw the plane to the left. This is most noticeable when the accelerating and lots of planes have some right thrust or right rudder built in to help correct of this.

Is this what you are talking about?

-Jim
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:26 AM
United States, ID, Post Falls
Joined Mar 2008
16 Posts
Yes. I was wondering why! I'm new to rc planes. Bought this bird and a Hobby Zone super cub to start out with. Thanks much. Dan
AeroWolff is offline Find More Posts by AeroWolff
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:30 PM
North Country Flyer
Minnesota
Joined Mar 2008
57 Posts
NiCd/Nmhd or LiPo

I just purchased the Nexstar but haven't purchased the battery or charger. My question is, what is the best way to go, NiCd/Nmhd or one 3S and one 2S (Total of 5S) LiPo packs.
Elyranger is offline Find More Posts by Elyranger
Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:00 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
As far as batteries go, I think it is a question of your experience. LiPos will provide better performance, but they need special care and handling. Do some research so you know what your are getting into. If you go with LiPos make sure to get a good balancing charger and something to charge them in (e.g., Liposack, etc..). Nicd/Nmhd are more forgiving of rough handling and may be better suited for people new to electric flight.

-Jim
Old Mar 29, 2008, 06:39 PM
North Country Flyer
Minnesota
Joined Mar 2008
57 Posts
Liposack

Thanks Jim I appreciate the information.
Elyranger is offline Find More Posts by Elyranger
Last edited by Elyranger; Mar 30, 2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:24 PM
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Apr 2001
233 Posts
Jim

What is your opinion of the A123 cells? I too am nervous about LiPos and their durability with respect to physical durability. I have a lot of NiCad experience so soldering up cells is not an issue. Figure they may have the pros of NiCad/NiMH as far as handling goes.

Stephen
Stephen M is online now Find More Posts by Stephen M
Old Mar 30, 2008, 09:12 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
Hi Stephan,

I think the A123 cells would be a worth a look for this plane. I don't have any first hand experience with these cells yet, so I can't give any specific recommendations. But they appear to be more tolerant of rough handling so they may be a better choice for a beginner.

-Jim
Old Apr 04, 2008, 07:51 AM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
Im getting ready to maiden, just one question, i have a 10x5 with 2 4s TP Extreme 2200mah in parallel. What kind of time should i start with and will this setup draw too much? (Jeti 70Amp ECS)
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Apr 05, 2008, 08:26 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
Hi,

You should be drawing less current than the recommended setup (4s vs 5S). Because of this, you will need a higher throttle setting to maintain flight. I would strongly recommend that you invest in a Wattmeter (AstroFlight or other brand) so you know what current draw you actually have. As far as duration, I would recommend a 5 minute flight, and then monitor how many W/hr you put back in your packs. If you put back 2A/hrs, then you know that 10minutes is your max flight time.

Best of luck,

-Jim
Old May 01, 2008, 09:06 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1 Posts
what lipo batter do i need for nexstar ep? and how many?
Thanks
aevazy is offline Find More Posts by aevazy
Old May 02, 2008, 05:49 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
Please read post #61.

-Jim
Old May 07, 2008, 11:56 AM
FUP
Joined May 2008
1 Posts
I just picked up the NexStar EP to learn on, but in playing around with the transmitter, reset the throw limits. I'm sure I'll be able to sort them out, but can anyone tell me what they had been set to from the factory?
FUP is offline Find More Posts by FUP
Old May 12, 2008, 11:48 AM
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
Battery Installation

Could someone please help me with the battery installation. The book does not cover it completely and the picture is no good. What are you supposed to do with the velcro strips and with the wood piece that comes with it?
stuttgartpilot is offline Find More Posts by stuttgartpilot