Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 03, 2008, 05:21 PM
Frankfort, KY
Joined Feb 2008
10 Posts
Thanks Jim,
I agree that it would be nice if they included an AC/DC option on the charger. It appears I can also get the LiPo set up you mentioned (with the appropriate charger) to fly it as well?
VeloJay is offline Find More Posts by VeloJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2008, 05:50 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,781 Posts
If your are using Nimh, they do best hot off the charger. So, there is not much use in charging them at home. Or at lest you should top them off at the field.

The PA-2 on mine came all set up with the gain control on the channel 6 knob, although the manual walks you through the procedure to set this up. Since it was on this control knob, the gain could be set any where. I used the first flight to try dial in the setting that worked best. I would suggest that you have your instructor trim out the NexStar and set the gain on the PA-2. Them mark your transmitter and mark this part of your pre-flight checklist.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Mar 07, 2008, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2008
68 Posts
Flight

Jim:

After all of this crappy weather in So Cal, I was finally able to fly my NexSTAR Select EP... I used to fly gas 12-13 years ago, so I did have to go back a bit. But, that is what the Skyfly was for (Which is a GREAT plane too!). I was alone when I did fly it and I don't see how you can screw this one up!! I even spent about 3-4 hours on the simulator first and was shocked at the exactness of it! With the PA-2, you just cannot go wrong. For landings, you just line it up, cut the throttle and it does the rest. You just give it a bit of flare just before touchdown... The power is just as good as a good gas .46...

Time to take off the brakes and my FW-190 & Mustang are calling me...

Thanks Jim!
P-40D
P-40D is offline Find More Posts by P-40D
Old Mar 08, 2008, 07:08 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,781 Posts
Hi P-40D,

Sound;s like you are well on your way back into the hobby. I have been impressed with how well th PA-2 system works in stabilizing the plane. This is something you may want to transfer to your FE-190 and Mustang. It would certainly help to tame them.

-Jim
Old Mar 09, 2008, 12:10 AM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
How do you think this battery will fly the nexstar ep?
batt
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Mar 09, 2008, 08:24 AM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,317 Posts
Two of those in parallel should work. Hobby City is out of stock on those though. Take a look at the Zippy line.

Hobby-Lobby says a Telemaster 40 will fly on a 3s 4200mAh. (However, I'm sure that would be a short flight!) The Nexstar is in the same weight class so it should work.

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:31 AM
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
Nexstar Ep

Jim,

Thanks for this great article. I'm a servicemember stationed overseas with alot of time on my hands. I'm a civilian private pilot and did try some gas RC airplanes when I was younger with no luck. My problem is I would like to purchase a NEXSTAR but I will be all self taught. Is this RC as good as everyone says. I would also like your recommended purchases along with the RC, since I will have to order in bulk and dont want to wait the addition weeks for some parts that I should have purchased all together. Thanks in advanced.

Dave
stuttgartpilot is offline Find More Posts by stuttgartpilot
Old Mar 14, 2008, 05:24 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,781 Posts
Hi Dave,

I think I covered everything in my PM to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Jim
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:48 AM
Frankfort, KY
Joined Feb 2008
10 Posts
Looking forward

My NextStar EP is on order and should be here next week.
Thanks for a great article and all the help, Jim. I went ahead and bought two extra batteries (in addition to the two battery/charger setup Tower was offering) as well as two extra props (I hope I won't need them, but...)
There are a couple of guys at my church who are going to help me out, so I hope to be up and flying soon.
Right now I have an Eastbourne one of them gave me on the building board. I have the wings and rudder done. Gluing up the rear stab. right now.
I think this summer is going to be a battle between by bicycle and my plane!
Thanks again!
Jay
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:53 AM
Flying Electric!
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
Nexstar almost ready to maiden!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:11 AM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,317 Posts
It's a beaut smbc! When do you think you'll maiden? Please post a video as there are very few on this plane.

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:17 AM
Flying Electric!
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh
It's a beaut smbc! When do you think you'll maiden? Please post a video as there are very few on this plane.

-Tim
Still waiting on the 4S Batts we talked about to be back in stock, the website said early March?
Old Mar 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
Frankfort, KY
Joined Feb 2008
10 Posts
Makes me look forward more to mine.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:55 AM
Plant City, Florida
Joined Mar 2008
23 Posts
NexSTAR EP battery packs ??

Perhaps a "newbie, rookie" question, but I am very curious, since I haven't purchased the NexSTAR EP yet.....

Is there TWO SEPARATE battery packs..... one for the MOTOR and another for the "RX and electronics" ??
I am wondering if you stayed up too long and your electric motor "used up" all the battery, is there a seperate one that will run the RX and Servos in this case ??
floridawen is offline Find More Posts by floridawen
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:48 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3 Posts
on tower it says you can use one 18.5v 2100 or 3200mah 20c lipo pack shown here under quantity needed, would one be sufficient?
striker06 is offline Find More Posts by striker06