HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:29 PM
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Apr 2001
273 Posts
I hope my son's instructor is patient as well. Seems good so far. I have no patience when he acts silly. I can put up with others for hours, just not from my son.
Stephen M is offline Find More Posts by Stephen M
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:41 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,882 Posts
I'm the same way with my son. Maybe we expect too much.

ANyhow, the system requirements for Real Flight are:

Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, or Vista
Pentium 1.0GHz
Direct X 9 or greater compatible video and sound card
3D aacelerated video card with 32MB+ RAM
256 MB RAM
250MB hard drive space
CD-ROM drive
USB port

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Feb 17, 2008, 07:50 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,502 Posts
Jim,

Very nice review. Thanks for including all the "good" details.

I am wondering about the RPM you gave in your article. I don't believe it can be as high as you've stated. I "ran some numbers" and would not expect it to be above 12,500 with the APC 10x5E prop. Can you verify that 14,000 RPM? It just seems wrong to me. Actually, with the Chinese motor provided, I would really expect the RPM to be between 11,500 and 12,000. Only "better" motors might make the 12,500 RPM range.
Also, the pitch speed would be quite high for a "trainer" with a 5 pitch and 14,000 RPM. Of course, with this plane all dirtied up, it would never be flying close to the pitch speed.

On another note:
I noticed the stress riser in the tail of the SOS, and I'll take care of that on my plans. Was there another major stress riser you noticed on the plans?
(A pm answer would be fine. Don't want to mess up your thread with unrelated topics)

I am going to swing the servo arms to perpendicular with the push rods, as that was the original intention. Not sure how the old man brain ended up with them "wrong". I hate getting old!
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:45 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,882 Posts
Hi Ken,

I'll double check the RPM numbers, but that is what my tach said.

-Jim
Old Feb 20, 2008, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2008
68 Posts
Jim:
I live in So Cal, I used to be heavily in Scale or non-scale gas RC... But, we lost all of our good fields, so I lost patience and got out. But, after 12 years, I am coming back with Electrics. At first, I was very disappointed with the products, but I need to go back to basics after so long. I broke down and bought the Skyfly, which is a wonderful little plane, I then tried the new Diablo and I cannot tell you how bad that thing is and I used to BUILD big time. Now, I just bought the Parkzone T-28 and was blown away by how good it is. Then, I read your review on the Nextstar EP, so I purchased yesterday. I am blown away by its quality and fit & finish. I DID purchase the standard Hobbico NimH battery pack and charger, but its weight seems excessive for the power, can you give me a heads up and maybe even some good Electric Fields in OC California??
Thanks for the heads up on the review, money I got at my age (50), now I need some stick time...

Thanks, P-40D
P-40D is offline Find More Posts by P-40D
Last edited by P-40D; Feb 20, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:35 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,882 Posts
Hi P-40D,

If you bought the recommended Hobbico packs, they should be ok as far as weight and power go. Remember, this is a trainer and it is not meant to burn up the sky. If it does turn out to be low on power, you do have the option of changing out the propeller. This is mentioned in the review and manual.

I can't help you with flying fields in OC, since I'm still snow bound in Michigan. You might try contacting Ken Myers (post above) as he publishes the Ampeer with quite a large following and may know someone in California.

-Jim
Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
Joined Feb 2008
68 Posts
Props for NexStar EP

Jim:

What about using a triple 10/7?? Would that be okay?

Thanks,
P-40D
Old Feb 22, 2008, 07:01 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,882 Posts
Hi P40-D,

Three bladed prop in general are not as efficient as 2 bladed props, which can make a different on electric powered planes. If I am correct, a 3 blade 10x7 will act like a 2 bladed 11x7, so it should be ok for this plane.

I would suggest that you try the stock setup. You might be supprised. Most of our flying has been at half throttle or less, so there is plenty of power in the stock setup.

-Jim
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
Joined Feb 2008
68 Posts
Thanks Jim!
You obviously know your stuff!! On a side note, what's your opinion of the PZ T-28 Trojan?
Thanks,
P-40D
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,882 Posts
Hi P-40D,

I've been around for a while!

There are so many things going on with this hobby, it is hard to keep up with every new product. I don't have any experience with ther T-28, but I've seen other PZ planes and they are good performers for a one box plane.

It looks like the Michigan weather is going to be nice today, so we've had our batteries on charge and are heading to the field the morning.

Later,

-Jim
Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:05 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,882 Posts
Hi All,

We just got back from the field and got three more flights in with the NexStar. It is a bright sunny day in Michigan, and the filed was mostly covered in snow. We put on a set of Dubro skis which worked out really great. I took off the plane for Timmy, and started to check the trim. It behaved like it was badly out of trim, and seemed like the servos were not centering. What was really happening was that the PA-2 system was being fooled by the snow on the field. When I flew out over the tall grass, everything was fine. But when I flew over the field it kept wanting to roll inverted. Once I realized this, I just dialed down the gain on channel 6 and everything was fine.

Tim flew quite a bit, but without the PA-2 system, he had a bit more trouble. The NexStar is neutrally stable in the roll axis, meaning that when you bank it, it will stay in a bank until you roll out of it to complete a turn. There is nothing wrong with this, but it took Tim a while to catch on. The PA-2 system also helped maintain altitude in a turn. So, once the snow is gone, we'll be turning up the gain on the PA-2 while he learns to keep the plane in front of the flight line. I'm impressed at how much the PA-2 system helped to smooth out the NexStar and really lets the student concentrate on flying the plane and not having to deal with the wind and other factors.

A few words on the flight characteristics... Near the end one flight Tim's fingers were cold and took control bing it in. I had just pulled up to do a stall turn near one end of the filed when the LVC kicked in. I completed the stall turn and lined up with the runway. I thought I was going to end up in the weeds at the other end of the field, but the speed brakes slowed it right down and allowed me to keep in on the field with no problems (even with the skis). On other flights, landings were uneventful, and if you hold a bit of up elevator on the landing approach and let up as soon as the NexStar touches down it will grease right in.

I am still impressed with the stock power system, and loops and rolls are no problem even with the speed brakes on. Cruising around at 1/2 throttle, flight times are right at 10 minutes with my 5S 3200mAhr Kokams.

I double checked the motor speed, and I needed new batteries in my tach. The correct number is 12,600rpm. This will give plenty of pitch speed (~60mph) which is much faster than this plane needs.

-JIm
Old Mar 02, 2008, 01:18 PM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
very good, seems he likes it :
pvtzemerak is offline Find More Posts by pvtzemerak
Old Mar 02, 2008, 06:02 PM
Frankfort, KY
Joined Feb 2008
10 Posts
Batteries

Jim,
I am considering this model as my first R/C model/trainer. It seems to be an excellent trainer. If your 7 year old son can handle it, I am hoping a 38 year old can too.
One question, though. Tower Hobbies offers the NextStar with two batteries and the charger. Does the NextStar need two batteries in flight, or can I charge one as I am flying the other?
Thanks Tons!
Jay
VeloJay is offline Find More Posts by VeloJay
Old Mar 03, 2008, 06:45 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,882 Posts
Hi Jay,

The NexStar is setup to run on 16 NiCads or a 5S LiPo battery, but few companies sell a 16 cell or 5S pack. So, the NexStar is wired with two connectors so you can plug in two 8 cell NiCad or a 3S and 2S LiPo pack.

Double check, but I think the two battery packs that Tower sells are two 8 cell NiCad packs. So, you will need to charge each pack before you can fly once. You may be able to charge both packs in series with the charger they are selling, but you'd have to check on that. Try calling Tower's tech line, they shold be able to tell you.

-Jim
Old Mar 03, 2008, 11:32 AM
Joined Feb 2008
68 Posts
Jim:
The Tower pack that you can buy for $149.95 comes with two 8 cell 9.6 Nimh, not Nicad, they do have a bit more power than the Nicads. It also comes with a charger that will charge both at the same time, from your car battery. The only disappointment is that is does NOT come with an AC/DC charger. For the money I spent, I would have hoped for both. By the way, does the PA-2 come already set up at the recommended 35% assist?
Thanks!
Dan / P-40D