Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
or when quality matters much...
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:42 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4 Posts
Is it possible that I can get a mode1 radio system with the RTF set?
jackchen is offline Find More Posts by jackchen
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:29 AM
Omaha, NE
Joined Apr 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackchen
Is it possible that I can get a mode1 radio system with the RTF set?
You can send the transmitter into Hobby Services and they will convert it to Mode 1 for you, although there may be a nominal charge for the service.
bigedmustafa is offline Find More Posts by bigedmustafa
Old Jan 30, 2008, 05:35 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
The 6EXAP included with this plane in programmable and can be switched to Mode 1 (or 3 or 4). The radio manual describes how to do this.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:42 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4 Posts
Thanks a lot!
jackchen is offline Find More Posts by jackchen
Old Feb 06, 2008, 02:58 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Nice review, Jim!
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Feb 09, 2008, 07:25 PM
Monday? Not again...
UC Berkeley
Joined Jul 2006
681 Posts
I'm coming back to RC planes after a year or so off. Nice review Jim by the way, but I always thought that a wing loading of >10 oz/sq ft was to much for a trainer? Is this just a general guideline?
nickflyer is offline Find More Posts by nickflyer
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:43 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
Hi Nick,

In general, for a ".40" size plane (Trainer or sport) a wing loading of 20 to 25 oz/ft^2 will give a very flyable plane. Biplanes are typically under 20oz/ft^2 and larger planes (IMAA 80"+) can tolerate higher wing loadings in the range if 25 to 35 oz/ft^2. A lot of gliders shoot for a 10oz/ft^2 wing loading or less. For smaller planes, lighter wing loadings are a must.

Also keep in mind that for the NexStar, the wing loading is calculated from just the wing area. Now, add in the leading edge extensions and the speed brakes and the wing loading will be a bit less and the aerodynamics are improved.

The rule of thumb is that the stall speed is equal to 3.7 times the square root of the wing loading. So, for my NexStar the stall speed is 3.7 x 4.72 = 17.47mph which is pretty reasonable.

-Jim
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:55 PM
Monday? Not again...
UC Berkeley
Joined Jul 2006
681 Posts
Thanks a lot Jim, that really cleared stuff up. So a lower stall speed will allow the plane to act more like a glider correct?
nickflyer is offline Find More Posts by nickflyer
Last edited by nickflyer; Feb 10, 2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:26 PM
Eads, TN
Joined Feb 2008
2 Posts
Thanks for the review, Jim. Bought the Nexstar EP yesterday on your advise. Now I need more!!. Should I use 2S+3S or just one 5S? What about 3200mAh or can I go up? Use Electrifly's Power Series or Thunder Power's new Extreme V2 series? Looking for maximum run time. Ist RC Airplane. Got RealFlight's new G4. Love flying Nexstar EP on computer. Can't wait to fly the real thing.
BlueBeaver is offline Find More Posts by BlueBeaver
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:57 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
Hi Nick,

Yup, lower wing loading = lower stall speed = more like a glider.

BB,

The battery selection depends on your charger situation and your soldering skills. If you have a charger that will handle the 5S pack, then by all means go with the 5S. However, you will need to remove one of the connectors from the NexStar's power system since it is set up to run two packs in series out of the box. To do this you'll need a good 40W soldering iron and some shrink tubing.

I'm using 3200mAhr packs and we're getting around 10 minutes of flight time with most of the time at less than 1/2 throttle. Our NexStar came in at the lower end of the weight range, so you should not have a problem going up in capacity. Any of the major brands should be fine. You'll only be drawing 30-35 Amps, so in this capacity range you only need a 10C to 15C rated cell. Higher C ratings are always better, but you don't need a pack capably of 100A for this plane.

-Jim
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:08 AM
Eads, TN
Joined Feb 2008
2 Posts
Thanks Jim,

Doing surgery on the wiring today. Thought 5000aAh 25c would last longer than 3200mAh 20c.

gary
BlueBeaver is offline Find More Posts by BlueBeaver
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:10 PM
AMA 854276
Evansville, IN
Joined Feb 2008
1 Posts
I purchased the Electrastar last November. Wish I had waited for the Nexstar. The Nexstar had just come out and were backordered at the time. I just HAD to have my new plane and couldn't wait for the backorder :-). Then they dropped the price on the Electrastar to $199 after Jan 1st. I imagine that they will replace the Electrastar with the Nexstar as soon as they can.
Superbee13 is offline Find More Posts by Superbee13
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:36 PM
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Apr 2001
233 Posts
Simulator Questions

Thanks for the great review Jim. A couple of questions on the included simulator.

What are the system requirements? I can't find it on the Tower site.

Is the included simulator a complete, although stripped down, copy or is just an add on to a regular copy of Real Flight? Do I have to get a 'regular' copy of the flight sim and this is only a plane to install in the 'regular' copy?

Looking at it for my 8 year old who has been on the sticks, on and off, for the past three years. Will strip and sell the Futaba system out and use the Infinity 660 I picked up from you. Based on Keith's skill and patience he must be a great instructor for your son.

Stephen Madjanovich
Stephen M is offline Find More Posts by Stephen M
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:16 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,797 Posts
Hi Stephan,

I'll have to check the system requirements, but they are pretty basic. I did need to install the latest sound card driver update, but this was pretty straight forward. The Futaba transmitter has a square trainer cord port in the back and this plugs into a USB interface and into your PC. The flight sim software is a stripped down version and just has the NexStar with and w/o the PA2 enables and one flying site. I believe you can upgrade it with the Real Flight expansion packs. So, you may want to stick with the stock system if you plan on using the simulator.

Keith is a great instructor, he is much more patient than me.

-Jim