HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:58 AM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
That's what I'm think about doing. The motor I want to use is longer than the stock rimfire motor, and it would be easier to put standoffs on the nitro version. I guess I'd have to fabricate some sort of battery hatch like you did. Thanks

Jay
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:32 AM
USA, NY, Lancaster
Joined May 2010
115 Posts
Dual Rate Setting & other questions

Hi, I'm new to rc ( first post here), and have been learning on a Super Cub for @ 2 months now. I have a Nexstar EP that I'm itching to get up into the air. I have a few ?'s on it I hope someone can help me out with.

1- Any suggestions as to what percentage to initially use to set up my dual rates? I'm using a 7C 2.4 radio set up with the Nexstar.

2-With the PA-2, there is an auxillary wire, that I assume I would plug into channel 6 on my receiver (flaps-volume adjust), do I set the PA-2 amp to 100% and then adjust with my volume, or do I set the amp at 30-40% as suggested in the review and adjust my volume as needed from there?

3-After assembling the tail section and tightening the 2 nylon screws, the elevator wing has some side to side play (pivoting) in it. Is this acceptable/normal? The nylon screws are tight and I don't want to over tighten them.

Thanks for any help you folks my be able to offer to this rookie!
lumpy
lumpy649 is online now Find More Posts by lumpy649
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:56 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,744 Posts
Hi Lumpy,

1.) I typically setup D/R to ~70% for initial flights. The main thing is you don't want NO rates.

2.) For the PA-2, I would suggest that you get an experienced pilot to check out your plane first, and dial down the PA-2 system for the initial flight. You don't want to use 100% to start with, since it can "take over" too much and make trimming a problem. We had our's up last weekend and my son is done using the PA-2 system, but I forgot to check the knob before take off. I was trying to trim out the plane on a late evening flight and could not figure it out. The PA-2 does not like it when the sun is low near the horizon. Once I dialed it down the plane behaved normally.

3.) I think my stabilizer is pretty solid with no play in it. Double check the installation and make sure there is nothing in the slot that is causing it. Last resort would be to add some CA to the joint to firm it up.

Again, I would seek out experienced help to get this bird in the air.

Best of luck to you,

Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:16 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
what is a good plane after this one??
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:43 PM
USA, NY, Lancaster
Joined May 2010
115 Posts
Thanks for the input Jim, I got the plane all flight ready and I'm presently looking for a local club to join. My next step from the super cub is the nexstar mini, which I'm currently setting up, and learning the programmable radio. I'm hoping that being a similar plane that it will prepare me better for the full size version.
Thanks,
lumpy
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:18 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,744 Posts
Friz,

Any low wing sport plane would be a good next step. Maybe one of the T-34's foamies or ARFs like your avatar.

Lumpy, if you're having good luck with the Super Cub, the Nexstar should not be a big problem for you. However, even I get a more experienced pilot to try out my new planes. I takes my nerves out of the first flight and a second set of eyes may find something that needs attention before flying.

-Jim
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
okay thanks so i took a step back going from a t28 to the nexstar any good planes after the t 28 ?
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
Lumpy:

Forget the dual rates. Use the thumb and finger method of holding the sticks and learn to control yourself. Keep movements to a minimum and understand that there's a slight delay from transmitter to plane.

Get rid of the PA system. You don't need it and if you fly it at the wrong time of day or over the wrong terrain the plane will get wierd and you may panic.

Tighten the tail screws and make sure the stab is straight. Add some 5 minute epoxy to the gap with a toothpick to hold it in place.

It's a great plane. Have fun with it.

John
JohnNJ is offline Find More Posts by JohnNJ
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:16 PM
USA, NY, Lancaster
Joined May 2010
115 Posts
Thanks for the info John, like I said in a previous post my next plane up is the Nexstar mini, so I fiqure by the time I fly the "Big One" I'm hoping to not use the PA-2 system. I'm quite capable of ditchin a plane on my own with out the aid of some "black box" that in all likelyhood is made in China!!!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:24 AM
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,337 Posts
Friz
May want to look at a Hangar9 pulse 40 or a Great Planes Cherokee. Both are electric options and both are great low wing trainers that also allow you to start doing more advanced flying. I went from a electristar to a Pulse 40 to a warbird with no issues.
Thrawn150 is online now Find More Posts by Thrawn150
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47 30CC EP build
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:42 PM
North Country Flyer
Minnesota
Joined Mar 2008
53 Posts
I'm using a 5S,3200 mAh battery and I would like to put floats on the plane. Will this work? If not can anyone make a recommendation?
Elyranger is offline Find More Posts by Elyranger
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:26 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,744 Posts
The Nexstar should have enough guts to get off water if you have enough "runway" to get it on step and up to speed. I don't think the extra weight will be too much. You might want to go with the 11x7 prop vs. the stock 11x5.

-Jim
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:41 PM
USA, NY, Lancaster
Joined May 2010
115 Posts
I have been considering the same thing. What size floats do you think would be an appropriate fit? .60 size?
Thanks
lumpy
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:00 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,744 Posts
Yes, .60 should be about right. Let us hear how you make out.

-Jim
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:26 PM
North Country Flyer
Minnesota
Joined Mar 2008
53 Posts
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the plane will be a bit short on power when using floats. Has anyone done an upgrade on the power system that might give me more power?
Elyranger is offline Find More Posts by Elyranger