HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2007, 03:40 PM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Aug 2004
853 Posts
Discussion
T-Rex 450 Floats - Anyone landing on water?

We just got some new floats in for the T-Rex 450 and other similar-sized helis and I was wondering if anyone else out there has tried floats on their helicopter.

Seems like it could be a lot of fun. I was thinking about getting a kiddie-pool for the back yard and using it for a heli pad since it would be perfectly level. I could flip it over and use it for a "dry" landing pad as well. Maybe even paint the bottom black and put an "H" on it so it looks cool.

T-Rex Floats
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-He...rts/Categories

Randy Moody
RC Dude Hobbies
ramovan is offline Find More Posts by ramovan
Site Sponsor
Last edited by ramovan; Sep 25, 2007 at 11:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:45 PM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Feb 2005
35 Posts
I used to fly with a homemade set on my Shuttle years ago. It was fun, also with no HH Gyros back then it would really whip around with no friction setting on the water.

I always wanted to hang a fishing line with a bobber off the bottom and see if I could catch a fish with it.
nomadd is offline Find More Posts by nomadd
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:10 PM
Advanced Learner
State College, PA
Joined Dec 2006
2,729 Posts
He he. I saw a video a few weeks ago of someone trying to fish with their TRex I would just be afraid of a sizable fish pulling my bird into the water!
StarmanDXE is offline Find More Posts by StarmanDXE
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:20 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramovan
We just got some new floats in for T-450 and other similar-sized helis and I was wondering if anyone else out there has tried floats on their helicopter.

Seems like it could be a lot of fun. I was thinking about getting a kiddie-pool for the back yard and using it for a heli pad since it would be perfectly level. I could flip it over and use it for a "dry" landing pad as well. Maybe even paint the bottom black and put an "H" on it so it looks cool.

T-Rex Floats
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-He...rts/Categories

Randy Moody
RC Dude Hobbies
too cool man
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2004
853 Posts
Helicopter Fishing

Helicopter fishing could be cool, but in this case you wouldn't want to catch anything big - thats for sure. It would definetely add a new dimension to helicopter flying!

These floats might be a good step after the training gear comes off. Especially since my back yard is so rough and lumpy for a heli this size.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:58 PM
Inverted User
Joined Jul 2007
130 Posts
Is that T-Rex 450 in the first picture? If so, can you tell me which canopy that is, and where you got it? I like the shape of it.
-wrxsti02
wrxsti02 is offline Find More Posts by wrxsti02
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:55 PM
Joined Aug 2004
853 Posts
I believe that is a T-Rex 450 in the first picture, but I can't say for sure since it's not my heli. Let's see if we can ask the person that took the picture. He's the one that makes the floats - and can probably tell you what canopy that is.

Here's a different shot from Heli-Accessor
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:21 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Darthdrk has a canopy like it called the Grand Furious.

http://darthdrk.4t.com/photo5.html
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:43 AM
Inverted User
Joined Jul 2007
130 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I knew about Darthdrk's canopy, but the one that "Heli-Accessor" has looks a little different around the back.
-wrxsti02
Old Sep 26, 2007, 05:49 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1 Posts
I was invited to join the conversation regarding the canopies photographed on my helicopters. The picture posted by Randy are of my two helicopters (grass and pool photos). They are both T-rex's. One of the is the 450X (knock-off T-Rex) and the other is a T-rex 450 converted over to the XL style. I purchased the canopies from a gentlemen from Ohio in Feb 2007 off e-Bay. The sellers e-Bay I.D. was gary3 1949. They are a two piece (splits down the center) style canopy before you finish them. I do have one more of these style canopies that is unpainted (keep it if one of the two finished canopies become damaged). They were made from a vacuum form mold using a clear plastic (not sure what mill).

The float kits are used as well as training kits as Randy indicated. I use them because they're light in weight (33 grams) and you can see the orientation of the heli's flying direction much better. Being the float has a hallow center air can pass through to allow for minimal drag. I can land on grass, sand, gravel, water, or most uneven surfaces without any issues. Sometimes when you have to set the heli down fast the last thing you need to worry about is what type of surface you're over.

I also have another design of mine that is funny to see fly. If your curious go to www.airmower.com and watch the 6+ minute video. This is my design......

If you have questions about the float kits, Airmower, or my T-rex canopy I can be personally contacted through the Airmower website.

Thanks................Ed
OC51 is offline Find More Posts by OC51
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:15 PM
S Florida
Joined May 2007
71 Posts
I used to fly my Blade CPpro off of floats alll the time. Much of my back yard is a pool so I would take off and land in the water.

I just took a couple of the normal size 500mL water bottles and hot glued them to a couple of carbon rods which I zip-tied to the skids. You can set it up with additional width to give more lateral stability that way. I worked great! It was cool to bring it in in FF, pull back on the elevator and set it down on the water with all the rotor wash patterns showing up on the surface of the pool. With no heading hold gyro on the Blade CP it sure wanted to spin around in the water on start up though.

It seems that the floats shown here (basically pool noodles that are cut down I believe) would benefit from being spaced out to a greater width than the skids. These could be done with the same concept as the water bottle deal I described above. These floats already have a rod that spaces them apart, I would just space them apart farther with a longer rod and then zip tie the rods to the skids.
Boxsterund914 is offline Find More Posts by Boxsterund914
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:01 AM
Inverted User
Joined Jul 2007
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC51
I was invited to join the conversation regarding the canopies photographed on my helicopters. The picture posted by Randy are of my two helicopters (grass and pool photos). They are both T-rex's. One of the is the 450X (knock-off T-Rex) and the other is a T-rex 450 converted over to the XL style. I purchased the canopies from a gentlemen from Ohio in Feb 2007 off e-Bay. The sellers e-Bay I.D. was gary3 1949. They are a two piece (splits down the center) style canopy before you finish them. I do have one more of these style canopies that is unpainted (keep it if one of the two finished canopies become damaged). They were made from a vacuum form mold using a clear plastic (not sure what mill).

The float kits are used as well as training kits as Randy indicated. I use them because they're light in weight (33 grams) and you can see the orientation of the heli's flying direction much better. Being the float has a hallow center air can pass through to allow for minimal drag. I can land on grass, sand, gravel, water, or most uneven surfaces without any issues. Sometimes when you have to set the heli down fast the last thing you need to worry about is what type of surface you're over.

I also have another design of mine that is funny to see fly. If your curious go to www.airmower.com and watch the 6+ minute video. This is my design......

If you have questions about the float kits, Airmower, or my T-rex canopy I can be personally contacted through the Airmower website.

Thanks................Ed
Thanks for the reply Ed!
-wrxsti02
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:34 PM
Portugal
Joined Sep 2006
191 Posts
My t-rex (HK450) with floats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti02 View Post
Thanks for the reply Ed!
-wrxsti02
sreis is offline Find More Posts by sreis
Old Nov 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarmanDXE View Post
He he. I saw a video a few weeks ago of someone trying to fish with their TRex I would just be afraid of a sizable fish pulling my bird into the water!
Is there anything Nightflyyer (Dave Herbert) can't do...

...twice?

At about 1:50 with a Blade 400
RC Helicopter FISHING! Dave tries hand at "Heli Fishing" (3 min 16 sec)

And about 7:00 with a Blueray 450

More R/C Heli Fishing with XHeli Blue Ray, by NightFlyyer (10 min 47 sec)
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack