HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2002, 05:13 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Jul 2002
99 Posts
transfering plans to Balsa

hey i was hoping that someone could tell me a simple way of transfering plans to balse without ruining the plans is there a simple way or is tracing it through on to balsa the easiest!
Da Flying Man is offline Find More Posts by Da Flying Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2002, 05:37 AM
Monument, CO
Joined Apr 2002
343 Posts
Transferring plans

Copy plans on copy machine, or scan and print on computer. Then iron onto the balsa. This results on a reversed image, but this should be acceptable in most situations.

john
fumblefingers is offline Find More Posts by fumblefingers
Old Nov 30, 2002, 06:46 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
We've just been talking about that in the Workshop forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=73623

I think that covered most of the standard methods.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Nov 30, 2002, 09:02 AM
jlk
Lifetime Beginner
Chicago & Tucson
Joined Sep 2001
638 Posts
Flying man,

There are several other ways to transfer plans to balsa manually. If the parts are fairly angular (not many curves) you can lay the plans on the balsa and punch a hole with a straight pin at the intersection of each straight line, then connect the dots on the balsa.

There was a product called SEE temp, I am not sure it is still available. It is a translucent thin flexible vinyl sheet that you could trace the plans or just score on the plan lines with an xacto knife. The SEE temp would then crack on the line when bent to make a template for the part. This was very nice especially if you were going to make more than one of the part. The templates can then be stored in an envelope for later use (repairs) or remaking an old favorite plane.

Jordan
jlk is offline Find More Posts by jlk
Old Nov 30, 2002, 08:55 PM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Jul 2002
99 Posts
thanks for that guyz appriciate it
Da Flying Man is offline Find More Posts by Da Flying Man
Old Nov 30, 2002, 09:16 PM
San Antonio
Joined Dec 2001
410 Posts
I just use my laser printer at home. i can scale the plans however I want them, and print it out, ythen iron onto the balsa. No muss or fuss! If you don't have a laser, go to kinkos' or somewhere else, and just copy them. It's cheap and works fine.
senor_paco is offline Find More Posts by senor_paco