HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Modelairplanesrc Cessna T-206 Review

The Cessna T-206 offered by Modelairplanesrc is a rendition of the popular turbo charged Cessna T-206. The foamie ARF kit is complete and provides a great opportunity to fly the "Sport utility vehicle of the air".

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan Kit:1080mm/42.5 in.
Wingspan Full-Scale:10.92m/35'10"
Wing Area:17.64 sq.dm./274 sq. in.
Wing Area Full-Scale:16.2 sq m/174 sq ft
Weight:550g/ 19 oz.
Weight Full-Scale:974 kg/2146 lbs
Length:965mm/36 in.
Length Full-Scale:8.62m/28'3"
Wing Loading:9.789 oz/sq. ft./31g/dm. sq.
Servos:9 gram
Transmitter:Included 4 Channel with D/R
Receiver:4 channel
Battery:7.4 volt LiPo
Motor:390 Brushless
ESC:20 amp - Programmable
Available From:Modelairplanesrc
MSRP:$180.00

Modelairplanesrc offers several products for the RC hobbyist. While a relatively new company, they have put together a catalog of planes, helicopters, parts, batteries, receivers, brushless motors, ESCs and other electronic support items all at discounted prices.

The full-scale Cessna T-206 was first released in 1967 and continues in production today. Better known as the Stationair, Super Skywagon and Super Skylane, the Turbo 206 was a 310 HP six-seater capable of hauling big loads. The Current version, the 206H is offered by Cessna for a cool $514,000.

One of the really cool features of this kit are the landing lights. They operate in a similar fashion to the sounds we usually hear with ESCs. I have provided a short video showing the lights. There are other surprises as well: the interior of the fuselage has a photorealistic dash and large free moving hinges are included.

The T-206 is a great little parkflyer that will impress your friends with the scalelike details and the great flying characteristics.

Kit Contents

My Cessna 206 arrived with no damage and was double packaged in cardboard. The box is well illustrated and provides information about the plane and flight pictures. This is an ARF that includes everything. .

Kit includes:

• Fuselage with servos, linkages, steerable nose gear, receiver and ESC installed
  • Landing gear with wheels and wheel pants installed
  • Hardware package with necessary screws
  • Glue
  • Clay for CG weighting
  • Screw driver
  • Spinner
  • Props 10x4.7 (2)
  • 7.4 Volt LiPo
  • Charger
  • Full color instruction manual

Kit Requires:

• Eight AA Batteries for the transmitter

Assembly

The kit included two instruction manuals: one in color and one in black and white. The black and white version uses the same pictures as the color version, but they are significantly smaller. Nonetheless, because this is a very easy build the manual only needs one page to clearly guide you through the process. The manual also includes a discussion of the specs, charging of LiPo batteries, a complete troubleshooting section and a parts replacement list.

One of the things I liked about this kit was the logical build sequence. You begin with the landing gear which gives you a good platform to operate from since the steerable nose gear is already installed. The landing gear is metal and is recessed into the fuselage. A molded foam insert hides the attachment point.

Wing

The wing is prepared from the factory and requires no additional work. One of the unique features of the wing is the bell crank action for the single servo. This is necessary since the ailerons are located at the wing tips allowing room for the flaps at the interior of the wing. While my kit did not include the flaps, there are servo cutouts clearly placed on the wing. As well, there are cutouts for individual aileron servos closer to the ailerons. A carbon wing spar is located through the wing, and an additional reinforcing carbon tube guides the aileron linkage wires to the bellcranks. The wing mounts on top of the fuselage and employs the windshield as apart of the aerodynamics and fastening system. Complete the wing by adding the wing struts.

Fuselage

The fuselage comes with the receiver, steerable nose wheel, brushless motor, ESC and linkages installed. In addition, the cowling contains lights located where the landing lights would be located and the are also some small weights in the cowling to help you achieve the proper CG.

The receiver is housed in the rearward compartment just ahead of the tail. Battery compartments are provided for both NiMH and LiPo batteries. The forward compartment is for LiPos. Both have plastic latching doors.

Tail

The tail aligns with two screws, but also requires gluing. Glue is provided, but you can use a five minute epoxy. Because the screws provide for a square frame with the wings there is no need to measure. I did find it necessary to sand the back side of the elevator to make sure there was no binding. I was satisfied the tail was square and visually I could see the horizontal stabilizer was parallel with the wing. Linkages are ready and waiting so after gluing you can attach them to prepare for the final setup.

Brushless Engine

The Cessna 206 came with a brushless engine that fit pretty much exactly within the cowl opening. The cowl is simply held in place with tape that is functional and holds well. Under the cowl, the engine and ESC are attached to a plastic engine mount. The ESC is attached with a simple wire tie. There seems to be plenty of cooling through the cowling.

Radio Installation and setup

The receiver as mentioned is in the tail under a hatch is held in place with tape. The wing servo attached to a servo extension already provided in the fuselage. Other than that there is nothing to do but put batteries in the receiver and test the setup. There were no binding servo linkages and the setup went very quickly. The transmitter has servo reversing and a dual rate switch.

Servo settings:

• Aileron = 5/16 up and down (7.9mm)
  • Elevator = 1/2 up and down (12.7mm)
  • Rudder = 3/4 right and left (19mm)
  • CG = 2.3 inches (58.4 mm) behind the leading edge

Completion

The preflight required centering all the transmitter trims by a few turns of each of the clevises. It is important as well that you make sure you have the CG correct. The instructions indicated placing the LiPo in the forward compartment, but I did not have a level condition using that method. Instead I placed the battery in the rearward compartment but slid it forward towards the front compartment to achieve a level CG. I placed foam in front of the battery and behind to hold it in place. Because I could move the battery forward I did not have to use the clay provided for weight.

Flying

I was really impressed with the flying characteristics of the T-206. Overall it was stable and predictable. Stalls were gentle without power and there was a slight tip drop with a power-on stall. During my early flights trims were just slightly out and the plane responded to my trim input quickly. Glide slope was good and I thought the plane looked bigger in the air than on the ground. Flight times of 10-12 minutes are typical.

Basics

The keyword here is gentle and predictable. This is a great little electric for flyers wanting to transition from a rudder only plane to an aileron plane. The strengths of this plane as a trainer include the tricycle gear, solid wing struts, light weight and visibility. Stalls were gentle and more than anything the glide slope allowed for time to react to flight patterns.

Taking Off and Landing

I typically fly off of grass and have to make sure I mow often to keep it short. The day I flew it was at least a week after mowing so I was concerned the T-206 would not fly off the grass. That was quickly dispelled as the plane was in the air in about 10 feet and climbed out easily. The tricycle gear helped keep the plane straight during albeit a short rollout. Of all the positive qualities this plane exhibits, the landings were something I really enjoyed. The T-206 tracked straight and with a gentle straight glide slope all I had to do was apply a little throttle to extend my flight path. Some planes respond to throttle inputs in slow flight by getting off line due to prop torque, but I did not experience that and ended flights with gentle landings. The landing gear provided a strong platform for landing and I believe it will stay in place even with a few hard landings.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

The T-206 is aerobatic and will do loops, rolls and immelmans. As I have said before if you want to try these maneuvers go ahead, otherwise this plane offers great flying characteristics and durability.

Is This For a Beginner?

It is for the beginner, but I would think you should have either experience with a rudder only plane or simulators. Because it has so many good flight characteristics I don't see anything here that is going to jump up and bite you. If someone had some help at the local flying field flying, this plane as a first would be fine. One just has to make sure they have the CG correct.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

I really look forward to flying the plane more and letting other give it a try. I loved the easy build and the fact that somehow the Cessna T-206 is both lightweight and durable. The brushless outrunner coupled with the 10x4.7 prop and the 7.4 LiPo provide plenty of power for ground launching or hand launching. Overall this plane is a winner in my book.

Pluses:

• Lighting
  • Tricycle landing gear
  • Quick build
  • Large hardware package
  • Transmitter

Minuses:

• Props were difficult to balance
  • Some screws required considerable torque to tighten
Last edited by Angela H; Oct 09, 2007 at 12:45 PM..

Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:16 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
Great review!

Very good explanations on all the steps. I think there was some talk about this a while back, interesting Cessna
flyin C is offline Find More Posts by flyin C
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2005
382 Posts
Yes, it is a good plane, the day I take the flight movie is very windy. I use original 7.4V, it still very stable and easy to fly.

R/C Cessna 206 @ 7.4V (1 min 2 sec)
CWNG06301 is offline Find More Posts by CWNG06301
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2005
382 Posts
You see how windy on that day.

Wind - 2 (0 min 31 sec)

another flight in other day

Cessna 206 at TKO (2 min 23 sec)
CWNG06301 is offline Find More Posts by CWNG06301
Old Oct 14, 2007, 03:00 PM
Gravity is just a theory.
Nuevo Mexico
Joined Jul 2004
188 Posts
A diamond in the rough...

I'm glad I found this review. I picked up a version of this airplane from banana hobby (www.bananahobby.com) and have found some slight glitches with the plane. The fuselage suffered a little bit of cosmetic dinging while packaged, and my version did not come with the cool wheel pants seen in the review. I also didn't get the expanded manual. No throw settings or CG position was indicated, so I'm glad the author mentioned these. My fuselage has screw sockets that are a bit on the loose side, so I'm waiting to hear from banana hobby's techs on whether they want to replace the fuse or not. According to banana hobby, they do have replacement parts for everything, so if I mess up the plane, I can at least get it fixed.

First impressions are positive. It's a nice design, a nice BIG airplane once you put it together. The outrunner motor and mount seem sturdy and well installed, and the landing gear setup looks like it will take abuse. I can't wait to finish this plane and get it airborne.
Capt Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt Crash
Old Oct 14, 2007, 07:06 PM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
I flew it again tonight and I really think this is a very stable flying machine. I love the stability in approach and the look in the sky. I had a hard landing on the nose wheel and just bent it back. No firewall breakdown. This plane for me just flys well and takes off the grass!
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:44 AM
rchotdeals
Joined Feb 2005
10 Posts
get it from www.rchotdeals.com
haosen is offline Find More Posts by haosen
Old Nov 02, 2007, 01:09 PM
Joined Jul 2006
3 Posts
Cessna T-206

I received a review / test model of one of these planes, which I worked over in August. Acquired from HUAYU HOBBY LIMITED.

There are some plus factors on this plane and a few negative aspects.

Firstly my opinion on build and finish of the plane:

Received the sample double boxed, showed signs of a hard transit by courier, from China to South Africa. Only visible damage is the control horns on the elevator had been a bit squashed into the foam surface. And the supplied glue was dry...

The fuselage is moulded foam, appears solid and looks good with cutout windows, fuselage also has lots of space inside.

Had found some of the nylon blind nuts were loose and needed to be glued back onto the fuselage.

As stated has a foam cowl, not really durable if it was to hit mother earth, and the tape mounting is not my idea of a solution. The spinner I received was also foam, which slipped on one way, if placed 180 degrees, was totally off centre, and rubbed on the cowl. The access hatch (foam) under the plane, just pushed in with no method to secure, I left it like this for the maiden.

The rest of the setup was done without issue, and after all was checked and secured, as stock headed for our local cricket oval.

The foam wheels allow good rolling takeoff, another good use for a 22 yard cricket pitch. And the Cessna took off well, apart from bits falling off on take-off - Yep the foam cover from under the fuselage. However I resumed the flight as such.

The plane is very responsive and the stock motor and pack supply plenty of power, and as the plane is larger then other Park Flyers like the Art-Tech Cessna was actually pleasant to fly, even in moderate winds. After a good approach and landing, collected the dropped cover and returned home.

As a RTF, I felt the model lacked finish, having to resort to tape to secure sections. And the foam spinner is not a good option. Would also like to see a moulded PVC cowl in place of the foam one. I am working on a few measures to complete the plane to how I would like it to be, as end of the day does fly well. Just needs a bit of "Polish" for a RTF.
Sharkykzn is offline Find More Posts by Sharkykzn
Last edited by Sharkykzn; Nov 02, 2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 08:37 PM
Gravity is just a theory.
Nuevo Mexico
Joined Jul 2004
188 Posts
Haven't killed it yet...

I've managed to get 20 flights out of this bird now, and it's been a fun airplane. The landing gear is a little more fragile than one might think; I had to glue in a block of balsa between the plastic mounting nuts in the fuselage to beef up the attachment point for the mainwheels. The nose gear is fine, although any landing that is less than perfect tends to bend the wire out of shape. I haven't punched the cowl into the ground or otherwise messed it up in any way. I attached the cheezy foam spinner with foam tape, and it holds on just fine and doesn't affect the balance of the propeller.

Performance is excellent. Turns are predictable and the long tail means measured and steady response to the controls. One reviewer did mention that the finish is a bit coarse. That's true; it lacks the polish of other RTF airplanes out on the market. But for $170.00, I think it's a decent deal.

Only mod is Du-Bro wheels. I went up a bit in size for better handling on the grass.
Capt Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt Crash
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:49 PM
northern Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
84 Posts
I don't Know about you guys, but the screws that my plane came with seemed to be made out of some kind of soft metal, so when i tried to put them in, I stripped the screws. How fast does this go if you used a 3 cell lipo?
parallax592 is offline Find More Posts by parallax592
Old Apr 24, 2008, 04:33 PM
Joined Apr 2008
3 Posts
I am looking at one of these at the local hobby shop. Do you recomend buying one? I have flight experience with the HZ Aerobird extreme and PZ decathelon. The shop has 2 of the upgraded model too. Bigger battery I guess.
ganst949 is offline Find More Posts by ganst949
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:09 AM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Hi,

I just bought this plane today. I've never flown planes before (aside from gliders as a kid). I have some experience with helicopters, but not with planes.

I could use some help setting this up. Initially I went over the plane and set the rudder, the elevator and the ailerons so that they are absolutely flush with the tail, wings etc., when the stick is centered. However taxing around the plane pulls (prop wash?). Should I offset the tail and the ailerons to compensate for propwash? I guess I need to do some reading.

About taxing and taking off in grass, all I seem to do cut the grass when I try. I am using metal landing gear, I should check the height but this was a disappointment. Maybe I can bring the lawnmower and cut the grass as short as I possibly can for a runway? (It's already fairly short)

I tried a gravel playing field, that experiment cost me a prop and some minor pits to the cowl. It seems the only place I've had luck is on pavement. If I can only take off on pavement I can't keep this plane as I'll have no were to fly it.

I could use some help. I know I can hand launch but I'd much rather learn to just bunny hop on the ground for now. Hand launching scares me because I don't know how well trimmed the plane is. I'd hate to nose dive into the field.

Thanks for any replies,
Dan

EDIT

OK well pulling to one side obviously I didn't have front wheel exactly aligned. So that problem is fixed. As for taking off on grass I guess I have two options, a smaller prop or higher landing gear.

I just snipped a small inch from either end of my damaged blade. I've tried to make it as balanced as possible there's a small wobble at half throttle (is this normal?). Maybe tomorrow I can taxi around in the grass weather permitting.

I'm a complete rookie but I like this plane. It's going to be fun to learn with.
dberladyn is offline Find More Posts by dberladyn
Last edited by dberladyn; Jun 20, 2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Updates
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:20 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
Maybe I should post in the beginners section? I was bunny hopping the plane on the street here today but I ended that after flying into a neighbours trash can. Broke a prop.

I tried my plane in the grass but it just doesn't want to roll nice. Maybe I am too scared as I am too reluctant to give it full throttle (I don't want it to take off on me). Any advice? How big should be flying area be? We have a very large school ground here but my neighbour tells me I'll never be to land it as it's still not big enough for a rookie in his mind.

I like the plane but maybe I am going to stick with helicopters?

P.S. the Metal Landing gears bends which requires the prop and cowl to come off to repair. I haven't tried the stock plastic landing gear, I'm just assuming that I'll break them.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:31 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
I finally worked up the nerve to go to the school feild and fly my plane. On my second trip out I had a plan which was to master taking off, keeping control and then landing. I didn't know but my neighbour followed me down and was watching me. He kept taunting me, go higher, go faster blah blah blah.

He aggitated me, I probably should have just packed things up but I didn't. I explained to him my plan, that I wanted to try to enjoy this plane as long as I could before ruining it. I told him to go buy his own, but whatever. Eventually I let go of my plans and started circling the field.

On one of my last runs I became too confident and instead of just taking it easy I tried to bring back the plane a little too aggressively after letting it wander off course.

To make a long story short I crashed nosefirst, highspeed right into an embankment. Snapped the wing, busted the main body, the cowl, the motor mount and the shaft of the motor.

I can only blame myself but I wish I was left alone. I was happy to just be puddle jumping. I've fixed the plane, glue, tape, cardstock. Maybe it's a right off but I'll try to get some more miles out of it.

The thing is I can't get the shaft out of the motor, I don't even know can these be replaced? Maybe I am best just buying another motor? I know the ESC is 18A but I have know idea what my motor is. The Kv, etc.

Could anyone suggest what I should put in this thing?

P.S. I wish I just packed it up and took it home. I'm stressed out trying to learn how to fly it and I have this guy saying go higher, go faster, don't do that pull up, etc. #@$%
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:05 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
I guess I shouldn't be griping on the forums here. Anyways if someone buys this plane and they are not a skilled pilot (like me) take my advice. Completely reinforce the entire cabin area with clear packing tape. Tape right over the windows, the way the model is made that's one of the first areas you'll destroy in a hard crash.

That and also stock up on motor shafts. I've broken three now. I've decided to upgrade to a motor with a thicker shaft. Mind you if I found a place to fly without embankments maybe I would'nt have damaged it so much!